Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aldi for donegal town ?

Options
  • 21-05-2009 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭

looks like bennets may have an aldi but they need change of use planning so i guess there will be the usual objections flying in from keeney
    German supermarket chain Aldi have submitted a planning request to Donegal County Council for changes to a retail park unit in Donegal Town.

The unit is part of a development proposed to be situated at The Mullins and Drumcliff.

The retail park, proposed by Bennett Developments, was originally granted planning permission by Donegal County Council in 2008.

An objection was later overruled by An Bord Plenala and the development was given the green-light in December of that year.

Aldi Stores Ltd have submitted this application which is requesting the change of the use of a retail warehouse to a discount foodstore.

The application also requests permission for increases to the gross floor-area of the unit.

Aldi’s application is the closest indication yet of a prospective anchor tenant for the proposed retail park.

http://oceanfm.ie/news/2009/05/08/aldi-could-be-en-route-to-donegal-town/
    the sooner the better need to top up my winter cycling gear in th autumn ! (selfish i know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Another Low cost Shop,Just what we need..
    Don't get me wrong It's great to see investment in the town & I do like Aldi, But With, Marys,Lidl,Euroshopper,€2 shop,Rite Price & So-Lo could we not get a another type of a store?
    Would like to see some of the bigger stores..Dunnes,Tesco even possibly try to get ASDA to open their first store in the Republic..
    IT just seems that the town is prepared to settle for anything at the moment..
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

rite price has gone !

rite price has gone !

You Are Right!

But still, without Rite Price we still have more value shops than anything else!!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I, for one, welcome our new German overlords! Nice to see there's a possibility that something will get built, and create a few jobs.

I had heard that it was originally supposed to be Homebase that were going to open there, but with the recession, probably less people buying stuff that they sell. Whereas people will always buy food, even better when it's cheap.

WRT Keeney's site(s), I don't hear much about anything happening on that front.

2 "observations" made on this planning application

MCGUIRE MCNEICE SOLICITORS BRAY HOUSE 25/06/2009 25/06/2009
    DEREK SCOTT DEREK SCOTT PLANNING 25/06/2009 25/06/2009

what are "observations" anyway

looks like we are off down the same old road

planning app here

http://www.donegal.ie/DCC/iplaninternet/internetenquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=0920225

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 nmg-lky

Observations are really objections!

byte

Jesus, not again. :mad:

I wonder who the solicitors and planners are speaking on behalf of...

byte wrote: »
    Jesus, not again. :mad:

I wonder who the solicitors and planners are speaking on behalf of...

I'll Hazard a Guess....All Together..

Gimme a D
    D
    Gimme an A
    A
    Gimme an N
    N
    Gimme another N
    N

I think you all can guess from Here...

It is a total farce!
    There should be no way that a scottish based person should be allowed to object to a donegal issue..

I know I said that I felt the town didn't need another value shop I did agree that investment into the town was a good thing!

byte

Yeah, saw an article in the Donegal Post about it today.

Also something about him saying it was observations he sent, not objections, and he'd take legal action against anyone who says different...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

Yeah, saw an article in the Donegal Post about it today.

Also something about him saying it was observations he sent, not objections, and he'd take legal action against anyone who says different...

He doesn't have any money to take legal action against anyone - he is such a big gob****e! There is more than him involved in the bowl though.....names that have been floating around for a long time, business people in Donegal - I am sure you all can guess who's involved, they should all be boycotted! :mad:

• Advertisement
    byte

Yeah, I'm not aware who's in the whole "consortium" though there's something fruity going on!

I just hope the "observations" are fed into the shredder where they belong.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I just hope the "observations" are fed into the shredder where they belong.
    Oh how many times I've wished for this to happen over the years. :D Unfortunately, each submission/observation will be given full attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I have lived here in Donegal Town for 2 years now and have met many many people. EVERY SINGLE person I have spoken to about this strange planning situation thinks its insane. I mean not one single person thought ANY of it was justified... so how and why is it still going on. :confused:

As a blow-in I just smile and shake my head. ( I am actually doing it as I re-read this.) Surely common sense should kick in sometime soon.

smashey wrote: »
    Oh how many times I've wished for this to happen over the years. :D Unfortunately, each submission/observation will be given full attention.

Yes, so have I - why can't they let the town progress & create some badly needed jobs for us? They just want the whole town to themselves, they don't want anyone else in there, they are so short-sighted that they can not see that if there are more shops in the town more people will come in and visit their business to eat, relax, get their hair done.......and so on. Our town would become more vibrant, with much more hussle and bussle that will benefit all of us!

Why do so few control the rest of us, why do we put up with it all? For some reason they can and no one seems to want to stand up to them and let them know we are not happy! Actually maybe everyone is happy - don't think so because if they were we would not be without a counciller would we?

Will wait in anticipation to see what will happen with these two observation or should I dare to say OBJECTIONS!:mad:

The problem is,(with the exception of a few) Donegal Town has not got real Business people,People who know exactly what it is like to create a business form the ground up.Look at the consortium, All inherited (and ballsed up might I add) Pure Sheep, Not looking at the bigger picture and not being able to see the outside benefits..It was easy money that these guys got and they don't know what to do next..

Blue Shimmering- People are not happy and we dont have a councillor because the votes were very poorly managed,Surely with Six people in the field ONE could have got through! and because of that we will suffer for the next fve years...Unless, there is a by election soon and the comunity puts forward a candidate that would have a mandate that is created by the public,Then we might have a proper voice and a TD who is commited to us..

LoanShark wrote: »
    The problem is,(with the exception of a few) Donegal Town has not got real Business people,People who know exactly what it is like to create a business form the ground up.Look at the consortium, All inherited (and ballsed up might I add) Pure Sheep, Not looking at the bigger picture and not being able to see the outside benefits..It was easy money that these guys got and they don't know what to do next..

I agree 100% with you and the one's who are competent business people do not want to get involved in the whole mess! Its so annoying to say the least - it started a long time ago......we were the first choice for the General Hospital - what happened, these business people decided it wasn't a good idea and blocked it!

Some years ago they decided to do away with the car park on the diamond - no amount of talking would make them see that this would lead to the closure of the supermarket (Foodlands), that the heart of the town would be gone! Don't know if others agree with me or even remember what it was like, probably similiar to Raphoe I suppose - I think it was much nicer than now! The ordinary people were not asked about it and even if they were - they were not listened to anyway!
    Blue Shimmering- People are not happy and we dont have a councillor because the votes were very poorly managed,Surely with Six people in the field ONE could have got through! and because of that we will suffer for the next fve years...Unless, there is a by election soon and the comunity puts forward a candidate that would have a mandate that is created by the public,Then we might have a proper voice and a TD who is commited to us..

Yes, people are not happy at all with the whole political situation - I am not really talking about the economic one, more the local politics that are in Donegal Town. These so called business people who have inherited them from their parents.....and so on, are trying to and mostly succeeding in controlling what happens in town. We are not a happy family at all and I really don't know what could happen to change it, there is so much back stabbing going on - it is unreal!

I do hope we can get a TD in the Donegal Town area, but would not hold out much hope because it is such a big electoral area and can't see us agreeing.......ever, ever, ever - it would have to be some mandate to get our local community to sit up and listen and most importantly TO STICK TOGETHER!

I do hope we can get a TD in the Donegal Town area, but would not hold out much hope because it is such a big electoral area and can't see us agreeing.......ever, ever, ever - it would have to be some mandate to get our local community to sit up and listen and most importantly TO STICK TOGETHER!

I agree!
    But the chances of anyone ever agreeing on anything in this town is very slim!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

irish1967 wrote: »
    I have lived here in Donegal Town for 2 years now and have met many many people. EVERY SINGLE person I have spoken to about this strange planning situation thinks its insane. I mean not one single person thought ANY of it was justified... so how and why is it still going on. :confused:

As a blow-in I just smile and shake my head. ( I am actually doing it as I re-read this.) Surely common sense should kick in sometime soon.

What exactly is happening?

Bob Z wrote: »
    What exactly is happening?
    The ordinary everyday person on the street in Donegal Town are annoyed about all the politics that are going on behind the scenes and the bully boy tactics (anyone objecting to what I am saying, please feel free to air their views, this is my opinion on what has happened!) - ALL EVERYONE WANTS AT THIS STAGE IS PLENTY OF SHOPS, SHOPS
    GOOD PLANNING AS WELL, BUT A FEW IN THE TOWN ARE BICKERING OVER WHO WILL GET PLANNING FIRST!

One particular side is continually sending in objections.....observations.....and so on, it has got so bad now that everyone's back is up and they took out their annoyance during the local elections - voting out of town to such an extent that we DIDN'T GET A COUNCILLER EVEN THOUGH WE HAD QUOTA + QUOTA + QUOTA - do I need to say more??????????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

One particular side is continually sending in objections.....observations.....and so on,
    I wouldnt confine it to one particular side - it takes 2 to tango.

it has got so bad now that everyone's back is up and they took out their annoyance during the local elections - voting out of town to such an extent that we DIDN'T GET A COUNCILLER EVEN THOUGH WE HAD QUOTA + QUOTA + QUOTA - do I need to say more??????????????????????????
    I dont think this single topic was the reason for the town not having a councillor. May have played a very small part on a few peoples behalf's but I would have though there were more issues than this involved. Anyhow thats for a different day and a different thread.

• Advertisement

IT is/was one sided, It worked like this.
    Kenney Went for planning for Magees,
    Bennet went for planning for out at The council offices,
    Kenney Objected noted Observations
    Bennet went for planning again Objections Obversations were addressed.
    Council passsed Bennet for permission,Kenney Objected on the last day, at the last hour,Bennet went to Bord Plannela
    Kenney Got permission.
    Bennet put in new plans for Mart,
    Kenney made Objections Observations.
    Bennet went for Mullins,
    Kenney made Objections Observations
    Kenney went for Mart, Bennet made an Observation.
    Bennet got permission from Bord Planela, Kenney Made Objections Observations.

I dont think this single topic was the reason for the town not having a councillor. May have played a very small part on a few peoples behalf's but I would have though there were more issues than this involved. Anyhow thats for a different day and a different thread
    You cant realy blame the councillor,He did his best to get all side to talk openly.However it was who he rolled with that cost him the seat.

IT is/was one sided, It worked like this.
    Kenney Went for planning for Magees,
    Bennet went for planning for out at The council offices,
    Kenney Objected noted Observations
    Bennet went for planning again Objections Obversations were addressed.
    Council passsed Bennet for permission,Kenney Objected on the last day, at the last hour,Bennet went to Bord Plannela
    Kenney Got permission.
    Bennet put in new plans for Mart,
    Kenney made Objections Observations.
    Bennet went for Mullins,
    Kenney made Objections Observations
    Kenney went for Mart, Bennet made an Observation.
    Bennet got permission from Bord Planela, Kenney Made Objections Observations.

I dont think this single topic was the reason for the town not having a councillor. May have played a very small part on a few peoples behalf's but I would have though there were more issues than this involved. Anyhow thats for a different day and a different thread
    You cant realy blame the councillor,He did his best to get all side to talk openly.However it was who he rolled with that cost him the seat.

You forgot about:

Bennet applied for planning in LETTERKENNY and Keeney & Co (business people in Donegal Town who do not want their names mentioned - I suppose to mention them would get me killed??????????????????) objected or should I say put in an observation - talk about a vendetta!

THESE particular business people do not want anything in town that they consider may threaten their dominant positions - or should I say what they consider to be threats to their positions, they cannot see that competition usually brings more people to the town and that can only be good! They have really closed minds to anyone else coming in and will fight tooth and nail to keep them out - don't know how LIDL got past their sonar system, pity they would share the secret to others who are trying to get in here.

I do realise all the same the there are two sides to an arguement and have heard it but to be honest it is ringing a bit hollow at this stage. Yes, I do think that belonging to a particular party didn't help the situation for one particular sitting councillor. The others to were associated with the same party and I think this is why loads from the town didn't vote locally preferring to go for Ballyshannon, Killybegs etc....it is a big mess now though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

who called Donegal The Whingers' County?

The fact is Donegal people damage their county the most - see previous posts.

Ah! The troll returns.

Bye now

who called Donegal The Whingers' County?

The fact is Donegal people damage their county the most - see previous posts.

What????????????????????????

Thats not very fair, we have to say it as it is - don't we?

Donegal people are the best, much better than all the rest, up Donegal! We are only having a discussion, not a whinge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its difficult all the same to go through life without talking things through......thats what we are doing here on this thread!!!!!!!!!!! If you want to call that whinging, well go ahead but who's whinging now, hah???????????

lol

Ignore him. He's a troll but has taken his leave from the Donegal forum for a while ;)

muffler wrote: »
    Ignore him. He's a troll but has taken his leave from the Donegal forum for a while ;)

You Sir,Are A LEGEND!:D

aaaawwww ffs refused

File Number: 09/20225
    Application Type: PERMISSION Planning Status: APPLICATION FINALISED

Decision Type: REFUSED

http://www.donegal.ie/DCC/iplaninternet/internetenquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=0920225

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

It's a bloody disgrace that the council turned this down what the fluck are they up to?? Who's side are they taking??

Makes you wonder what is going on, bloody fishy if you ask me:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm amazed that the County Council refused planning permission. I wonder what vested interests were not looking forward to ALDI.

I'm also amazed becuase I though the DCC never turns down planning permission for anything. If the one-off and toblerone style holiday homes development littering the coastal areas are anything to go by...

Advertisement