Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aldi for donegal town ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 nellumr

The ordinary everyday person on the street in Donegal Town are annoyed about all the politics that are going on behind the scenes and the bully boy tactics (anyone objecting to what I am saying, please feel free to air their views, this is my opinion on what has happened!) - ALL EVERYONE WANTS AT THIS STAGE IS PLENTY OF SHOPS, SHOPS
    GOOD PLANNING AS WELL, BUT A FEW IN THE TOWN ARE BICKERING OVER WHO WILL GET PLANNING FIRST!

One particular side is continually sending in objections.....observations.....and so on, it has got so bad now that everyone's back is up and they took out their annoyance during the local elections - voting out of town to such an extent that we DIDN'T GET A COUNCILLER EVEN THOUGH WE HAD QUOTA + QUOTA + QUOTA - do I need to say more??????????????????????????

No point in having plenty of shops if they won't stay open, the town needs to attract sustainable investment, not leave it to local nepotism and gombeenism.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Id be reluctant to defend the actions of Donegal County Council at the best of times but in all fairness this was out of their hands as such. They were tied by by the guidelines issued by the Dept. of the Environment as highlighted in the reason given below for the refusal.
    Having regard to the distance between the proposed retail development and the existing retail core of Donegal Town, and to the severance of pedestrian routes which the permitted roundabout at the junction of the Killymard and the Killybegs roads would give rise to, it is considered that the development would not be within comfortable walking distance of the town centre. The site has previously been determined by An Bord Pleanala to be an out -of -centre site as defined in the “Retail Planning Guidelines for Planning Authorities” issued by the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government in January 2005. The Planning Authority is not satisfied, on the basis of the information furnished with the planning application that alternative sites closer to the existing retail core are not suitable for development. The proposed development would therefore be contrary to the provisions of the “Retail Planning Guidelines for Planning Authorities” in relation to the orderly and sustainable expansion of the existing retail core of the town and would thereby be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Seconened

• Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

what i dont get is they could open a homebase or a halfords but not an aldi (could someone point to a town centre site big enough to put something the size of the lidl) ?
    and dont say kellys hole :eek:

these places need parking access etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

We get the same kind of horse sh!t in Sligo. Out of town and town centre can co-exist eg Colchester and Chelmsford back in Essex.

Where are the retail outlets in Donegal Town? I don't see any food stores in the town centre: the town has some fine shops but no supermarket.

Let's hope Ballyshannon picks up the baton and allows Aldi in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

That's what I don't understand.

Are the CoCo seriously suggesting it's better to have more traffic forced into town centre to get to supermarkets? Christ, the Diamond can be bad enough as it is, with somebody somewhere thinking it was the ideal place to have Bus Eireann stop, and indeed other drivers double-park.

The only real place in town centre (if it can be classed as such) is the Pavesi-Magee area. I'm sure Donegal Times will have thier opinion piece based on it on Wednesday.

byte wrote: »
    Are the CoCo seriously suggesting it's better to have more traffic forced into town centre to get to supermarkets?
    I dont believe that would be the thinking behind any proposal to locate a store/business in or close to a town centre.

First of all the proposal would have to include a set number of car parking spaces to cater for a defined number of patrons and secondly the "near town centre site" would afford people the opportunity of being able to walk from one shop to another and thereby reduce the volume of traffic movement.

byte

muffler wrote: »
    I dont believe that would be the thinking behind any proposal to locate a store/business in or close to a town centre.

First of all the proposal would have to include a set number of car parking spaces to cater for a defined number of patrons and secondly the "near town centre site" would afford people the opportunity of being able to walk from one shop to another and thereby reduce the volume of traffic movement.
    Thinking of Letterkenny's haphazard approach, you could have a point.

Thinking of which, how come Letterkenny could get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

An Bord Planalla has upheld rejections and refused planning permission for Aldi. Reason stated was that it was too far from town's commercial core.
    This is despite the site being closer than Lidl and about equal to Supervalu. It doesn't really matter to me but ffs ... It's closer... Dear god guys get out a ruler or even look at a map. Jeeeez

irish1967 wrote: »
    An Bord Planalla has upheld rejections and refused planning permission for Aldi. Reason stated was that it was too far from town's commercial core.
    This is despite the site being closer than Lidl and about equal to Supervalu. It doesn't really matter to me but ffs ... It's closer... Dear god guys get out a ruler or even look at a map. Jeeeez
    What a load of crap :mad:

Sorry - not your post irish but the decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not sure where the site is?

One thing has occurred; seeing the state of Letterkenny where planning seems to have gone amok?

Surely better to have retail parks that are further away from the centre and where there can be parking?

Also, I keep meaning to ask; how did that large kitchen eyesore on the road way past Supervalu get past planning?

But ALDI is fine; prefer ASDA of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

JHC this is unbelievable at a time of high unemployment that jobs are lost due to this shower of muppets, corruption is still ripe in dear old Donegal no matter what the cost if we cant build our shops well nobody can:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Carrickman wrote: »
    JHC this is unbelievable at a time of high unemployment that jobs are lost due to this shower of muppets, corruption is still ripe in dear old Donegal no matter what the cost if we cant build our shops well nobody can:mad:

I dont believe it is corruption..Its more Selfishness...Second generation businessmen,That have no Vision..

What gets me is the reason given. How the hell is it too far out. The two biggest stores in the town are further out. Ok Supervalu may be meters closer but only just.

byte

That'd be funny, but the whole shambles in Donegal Town is beyond funny at this stage.

The reasons given by ABP are pathetic at best. As was rightfully said, it's closer to town than Lidl. I also would've thought keeping it slightly out of town would be easier on traffic congestion?

Corruption, selfishness or whatever you want to call it at this stage its all the same they are just brats who have cost 100's of jobs in the area not to mention revenue with their childish antics I wish they would just cop themselves on at this stage, we have a minister that could have sorted this out over this past few years but did not bother, all the one party dont you know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Myself thinks of brown paper envelopes that were not passed over:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

But aren't shops not the best way to create employment? there is only a certain amount of money to be spent, if they are spent in one shop over another then the other shop suffers. What Donegal needs is sustainable employment of a manufacturing type where money from outside is brought in.

Please; where is it planned to be?

Probably true re shops not being the best way.

It seems. selling as we do at weekends mostly to visitors, that more attractions might work better?

Most we talk to eat in Town and then ask about other places to go.

The castle does well; the Railway Museum is not well enough known.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Please; where is it planned to be?

The site is opposite the Millpark Hotel and opposite McIntyres Garage. As you drive in from the hills Graces7 it would be directly opposite you as you come onto the roundabout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

fontanalis wrote: »
    But aren't shops not the best way to create employment? there is only a certain amount of money to be spent, if they are spent in one shop over another then the other shop suffers. What Donegal needs is sustainable employment of a manufacturing type where money from outside is brought in.

i work for a small indigenous it company in the we employ 8 people, we do all our work in the uk, we get nearly no support from the agencies (apart from a tax audit despite our returns being paid and bang on time every month)
    i said 13 years ago when i moved here that you need to support indigenous companies as the other ones will always move on. but still everyone thinks the way forward is to get the next abbots, fine till it closes.
    we wouldnt be here if the owners werent from the town and wanted to spend some of their time here (one is in the uk this week again)

The site is opposite the Millpark Hotel and opposite McIntyres Garage. As you drive in from the hills Graces7 it would be directly opposite you as you come onto the roundabout

God but that is MILES out of town:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

i work for a small indigenous it company in the we employ 8 people, we do all our work in the uk, we get nearly no support from the agencies (apart from a tax audit despite our returns being paid and bang on time every month)
    i said 13 years ago when i moved here that you need to support indigenous companies as the other ones will always move on. but still everyone thinks the way forward is to get the next abbots, fine till it closes.
    we wouldnt be here if the owners werent from the town and wanted to spend some of their time here (one is in the uk this week again)

At least companies produce something, I don't think retail outlets are the way as people will still only consume the same amount, especially when there is little money around and so much debt.

Obviously having shops does give the town a greater catchment area and MIGHT bring more people into the area..

BUT

Donegal Town makes Fcuk all use of its amenities...It makes me sick..
    We should be the outdoor adventure capital of Ireland..
    We do have the walking group, But there is so much more that could be done to help make the town more appealing to tourists and weekend parties..
    We call our town a tourist destination,but we've nothing to offer for them to do..Below is what the Lonely Planet wrote about the town..
    We're "A Pleasant Pit-Stop!" FFS!

Introducing Donegal Town

Show mapClose map
    It’s picturesque enough, but Donegal town is more of a gateway to the county than a destination in itself. The town has plenty of hotels and pubs, and an old castle guards a bend in the River Eske, just a block from the central diamond. County Donegal’s true treasures are just a few hours drive to the northwest of here.
    Advertisement

This spot was once a stamping ground of the O’Donnells, the great chieftains who ruled the northwest from the 15th to 17th centuries. These days it’s a far more sedate spot. If you’re coming from the south, Donegal town makes a pleasant pit stop.
    Last updated: Mar 24, 2009

Thank you; that is where I thought it was so it seemed odd to hear of it being near the centre.

LoanShark wrote: »
    Obviously having shops does give the town a greater catchment area and MIGHT bring more people into the area..

BUT

Donegal Town makes Fcuk all use of its amenities...It makes me sick..
    We should be the outdoor adventure capital of Ireland..
    We do have the walking group, But there is so much more that could be done to help make the town more appealing to tourists and weekend parties..
    We call our town a tourist destination,but we've nothing to offer for them to do..Below is what the Lonely Planet wrote about the town..
    We're "A Pleasant Pit-Stop!" FFS!

Introducing Donegal Town

Show mapClose map
    It’s picturesque enough, but Donegal town is more of a gateway to the county than a destination in itself. The town has plenty of hotels and pubs, and an old castle guards a bend in the River Eske, just a block from the central diamond. County Donegal’s true treasures are just a few hours drive to the northwest of here.
    Advertisement

This spot was once a stamping ground of the O’Donnells, the great chieftains who ruled the northwest from the 15th to 17th centuries. These days it’s a far more sedate spot. If you’re coming from the south, Donegal town makes a pleasant pit stop.
    Last updated: Mar 24, 2009

A perfect description; but how would you change it?

Sure folk will flock in for eg a food festival, but that is a one off.

The Market is failing through sheer bad management.

What do YOU propose to change it? Fine to shout at folk!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ammonite

Think a Tesco would suit the town better than another German discounter.

IMO Donegal Town's got a bit of character. Always liked it compared to some of the other towns in the county.

Graces7 wrote: »
    A perfect description; but how would you change it?

Sure folk will flock in for eg a food festival, but that is a one off.

The Market is failing through sheer bad management.

What do YOU propose to change it? Fine to shout at folk!!

The group who are creating the festivals in the town deserve lots of credit for what they are doing, and how they go about doing it..
    Jim White deserves a lot of praise for the imput he has in the town and the support he gives..

What would I Do if I were in a position of power.....
    1. I would dissolve the Chamber and any other 'Community Groups' and make a group that works under the banner of Local Development and Area Marketing and Promotion a group that is made up from people who have NO political intentions and are not connected to any of the 'Non' Developers.
    2. I would bring a PROPER town planning and Business consultant and have them come up with a 1,3 and 5 year plan.
    3. I would milk Tourism Ireland for all that they are worth and get proper promotion for the area.I would also contact the Lonely Planet Guide and have them do a revisit and give a proper analysis of the area.
    4. I would use the area for the natural ammenities seek what ever grants that are available for local groups that set up adventure activities..
    5. I do believe that a town does need a big-ish employer that can provide 50-300+ manafacturing jobs..And to achieve this, proper evening and further education courses should be provided with the secondary school be used in the evenings,I'm not talking about Just Book Keeping and ECDL, But more mechanical and technical type courses.. (I am not saying that the town does not have people who are capable of this type of work, But upskilling would be an advantage to the town..)
    6. For every Election,I would put forward a community candidate that is picked from a local pre election..This candidate would have their mandate created by the local area and they would be answerable only to the community..

LoanShark wrote: »
    The group who are creating the festivals in the town deserve lots of credit for what they are doing, and how they go about doing it..
    Jim White deserves a lot of praise for the imput he has in the town and the support he gives..

What would I Do if I were in a position of power.....
    1. I would dissolve the Chamber and any other 'Community Groups' and make a group that works under the banner of Local Development and Area Marketing and Promotion a group that is made up from people who have NO political intentions and are not connected to any of the 'Non' Developers.
    2. I would bring a PROPER town planning and Business consultant and have them come up with a 1,3 and 5 year plan.
    3. I would milk Tourism Ireland for all that they are worth and get proper promotion for the area.I would also contact the Lonely Planet Guide and have them do a revisit and give a proper analysis of the area.
    4. I would use the area for the natural ammenities seek what ever grants that are available for local groups that set up adventure activities..
    5. I do believe that a town does need a big-ish employer that can provide 50-300+ manafacturing jobs..And to achieve this, proper evening and further education courses should be provided with the secondary school be used in the evenings,I'm not talking about Just Book Keeping and ECDL, But more mechanical and technical type courses.. (I am not saying that the town does not have people who are capable of this type of work, But upskilling would be an advantage to the town..)
    6. For every Election,I would put forward a community candidate that is picked from a local pre election..This candidate would have their mandate created by the local area and they would be answerable only to the community..

Would all this not tend to make it like every other modern Irish town with no character, ie a clone?

Someone else posted that Donegal has character...

What about a more individual character that is unique?

No one has mentioned eg the water bus and the Craft Village... and the castle etc... and railway museum... these are unique to Donegal.. I know; the Craft Village is .... But that could change?

• Advertisement

I am fully in the belief that the town needs to keep it character,But you've gotta make you mind up..

Do you want the town to progress or remain lifeless and moving along like a boat without a rudder?

All the groups in the town have almost all got the same faces in them..and alot of people wont join group X or Y because such and such is on that committee..

Whats happening with the Waterbus is wrong and is not what it was created for...

The craft village is IMO too far from the town centre...But if possible, the whole area around the castle (Courthouse,Old Welfare office and where under the hat is) should be bought and made into a proper craft area with local talents on show..

Advertisement