Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aldi for donegal town ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tubsy78

Under the current economic climate any one creating jobs especially in the far reaches of Donegal should be commended,they are great employers source a lot of Irish products and DONT RIP YOU OFF!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

tubsy78 wrote: »
    Under the current economic climate any one creating jobs especially in the far reaches of Donegal should be commended,they are great employers source a lot of Irish products and DONT RIP YOU OFF!!!!

Well said they that point sums the whole thread up!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

I dont think Aldi will bring in the Tourists
    We have a Beautiful region a bit of forward thinking would be great not a consortium objecting to every development that is not there's we need some fresh blood brought in to Town

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Pot wrote:
    I dont think Aldi will bring in the Tourists
    We have a Beautiful region a bit of forward thinking would be great not a consortium objecting to every development that is not there's we need some fresh blood brought in to Town

True to the first thing you say.

BUT when there is a shop like Aldi to hand fewer locals will go to eg Letterkenny or further to shop. So local shops will benefit.

Especially with petrol prices going up again.

It isn't simply tourism, is it?

Nothing will stop the drain North to that extent.

And heaven forbid Donegal Town ends up the mess Letterkenny is in.

But Donegal Town is a Tourist town it always was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Pot wrote:
    But Donegal Town is a Tourist town it always was

not if you read the lonely planet, its not

its a market town i though, now bundorans a tourist town

not if you read the lonely planet, its not

its a market town i though, now bundorans a tourist town

Bundoran is the Blackpool of Ireland..

And...the problem with a tourist town is that it goes to sleep in winter. I think that people are not happy with that?

Bundoran is like a ghost town in winter.

That all the Tacky slot machine places
    The tourist think Donegal Town is the Capital of Co Donegal thats why they come

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Pot wrote:
    That all the Tacky slot machine places
    The tourist think Donegal Town is the Capital of Co Donegal thats why they come

Hope they dont sue for false advertising!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Alright then folks. This has gone off the rails completely.

If you wish to discuss the topic of Aldi in (or not in) Donegal Town then please do so here.

If you wish to talk about tourism in any part of the county then please start a new thread.

• Advertisement

Aldi Cab Sav is nice :D

All for Aldi coming if it is outside the centre.

Prices went down in Town when LIDL arrived, and they have some good lines in food and DIY stuff.

I use the ALDI in Bunrana; right opposite LIDL there.

They are in many ways better than Supervalu and certainly cheaper.

And more jobs of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭red herring

I think it would benefit the town.

I wonder is the the click trying to keep them out

http://www.donegalnow.com/sp/article_manager/detail/aldi_at_last_for_donegal
    It has been the longest running and most controversial of issues. But it seems Donegal Town is finally going to get a major supermarket outlet in the centre of town.

While neither the supermarket giant or the local developer would confirm that a deal has been done it is understood that Aldi will be the anchor tennant in a major supermarket development at the Glebe, Donegal Town.

The battle to see which piece of land could be developed as a major supermarket site saw the giants of the industry, Dunnes Stores and Tesco’s line up behind local consortiums and butt heads over a ten year period. The attempts to get planning permission for major developments at Revlin, Drumlonagher and of course the Mart site saw bitter rivalaries emerge endless applications and objections and just about every possible delay to the planning process that could be conceived.

Now it seems the quiet and methodical methods of local developer Mick Kelly have paid off.

An application submitted by him in August of last year has been approved with a series of conditions and a deal has been done allegedly with the supermarket giant Aldi. Mr. Kelly had origonally sought planning for a large scale development including a cinema, retail outlets and apartments. Modifications to the application saw a reduction in the number of apartments from 52 to 14, the dropping of the cinema and the reduction of the overall retail space from 15,835 sq m to 5,228 sq m.

On December 5th 2011 the modified application was approved. It is understood that residents in the Glebe area are already being contacted about the plans to commence ground works on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

grr id a proper reply to this but got logged out, so il just say its shame more effort wasnt put into the facade of the aldi and it related to the look of rest of the development (if that will happen is probably a different story) still it will be great to get some jobs and its hardly worse than the car park is will replace! (planning app linky drawings in view related documents tab)

i assumed it would go in kellys hole, i cant see how that cant have something done to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

looking at the site layout, aldi will go where millar's hill carpark is, and a separate building of 14 or so smaller units (with a carpark on the roof) and 12 apartments or so will then run along the bottom of the hill facing diamond centre, back of peters and the garda station (lovely view for a few shops) with the apartments still at the end and still seem to look like the big sign he has up along the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Just passed through the Town today looks like it progressing quite well. Hopefully the Town will get more business now please God.

i'd say it will be a while yet before its open

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Aye, there is a lot of ground work still to do. It's amazing the amount of ground they have to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Where abouts is it, haven't been up there this long time.

byte

pbarr wrote: »
    Where abouts is it, haven't been up there this long time.
    At the back of the carpark behind Paul's/Diamond Centre. Digging up half the hill!

This crowd must be doing okay. They opened their 2nd store in Letterkenny a few months ago and now they have applied for planning permission for a new store in Ballybofey.

byte

Would it do well in Ballybofey?

I wonder if it'll do well in DOnegal town, though it's closer to Supervalu than Lidl is, so people can get a lump of shopping in aldi, then just up the hill to get the rest in SV.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭glenkeo

Supposed to be ready for Christmas

byte

Aye, supposedly. The ground clearing will probably be the biggest job. After that, it'll fly up.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ammonite

byte wrote: »

I wonder if it'll do well in DOnegal town, though it's closer to Supervalu than Lidl is, so people can get a lump of shopping in aldi, then just up the hill to get the rest in SV.

I don't know if it would do well in Ballybofey. Too many shops in the Twin Towns and you already have Lidl.

Heard a rumour a few months ago that Costcutter in Ballybofey was shutting down but it still looks to be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭pennylemon

Lidls in Ballybofey shot up but I suppose the Donegal Town site for Aldi has a serious amount of ground work on that hill. We were supposed to be getting a cinema and a few things there... Very irritating that the only major companies that came into the town are German discount shops in the past ten years!

Although there should a load of jobs created which is great!! And I hear they pay well.

• Advertisement

byte wrote: »
    Apologies byte, I missed this question but I would share Ammonite's view.
    Ammonite wrote: »
    I don't know if it would do well in Ballybofey. Too many shops in the Twin Towns and you already have Lidl.

Advertisement