Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[BPB] Boards.ie Photography Yearbook 2009 - Planning stage - [!! POLL ADDED !!]

Options

Comments

ThOnda wrote: »
    Yes, in the book :)

We were not able to discuss any gallery or web page use of all pictures - there was not time for that.

Any books left?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I may be submitting an image.
    Any books left?

As many as you like!

Cool.

I thought it was a limited run type thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

The link has just reminded me that I meant to buy another copy for someone last year and completely forgot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

whyulittle wrote: »

That's the beauty of the on demand printing printing model which should be considered in the mix as we finally decide which way to go. It give a lot of flexibility and also is attractive from a zero capital outlay perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    That's the beauty of the on demand printing printing model which should be considered in the mix as we finally decide which way to go. It give a lot of flexibility and also is attractive from a zero capital outlay perspective.

True and I think no matter what we should perhaps have copies available through blurb in the long term maybe?

But getting proper printing done would make the books cheaper to buy for people then blurb offers

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Just remember that using an online publisher like blurb means restricting the layout of the document to one of their templates. So if the book was printed privately, it would need to be laid out in a similar fashion to a standard online layout to avoid having two types of book!

How long does it take for blurb to print it?

Also, how come the book isn't being hosted on board.ie servers? Something like boards.ie/book or something like that?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Also, how come the book isn't being hosted on board.ie servers? Something like boards.ie/book or something like that?

because we have a domain for it which a website will be setup for, boardsyearbook.com :)

Plus the book isn't run by boards.ie its run by its users with support from boards.ie,

• Advertisement

How long does it take for blurb to print it?

depends took about 1 week for mine to go out for delivery

Talking about doing new books is there any issues about giving a URL in the credit when you include in photo in the book.?

ala "Barry Somers / www.barrysomers.com"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Nope, no issues, this was done last year as part of the TEXT on every image, if the person so wished...
    That's the beauty of the on demand printing
    So, we could RUN 2 books then, ie. one RANDOM book, and one MOST POPULAR book, that is the most popular (thanked pics in Random thread) or voted upon photos (set up a voting system). I think I'd buy both !!!! :)
    My thinking would be to mostly advertise the Random Book because it will have 80 or so pics, and we will still have a good interest in the 2nd book (due to its content) but it would only have.....say 30-40 pics (keeping costs down).

Nope, no issues, this was done last year as part of the TEXT on every image, if the person so wished...

Yeah I was thinking someone did it alright...Baz perhaps?

Anyway must do it this time around, also must develop a front page on my site to other then my blog :)

The only condition was that it was a fairly straight-forward URL, nothing long-winded with a whole load of /this and /that.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Talking about doing new books is there any issues about giving a URL in the credit when you include in photo in the book.?

ala "Barry Somers / www.barrysomers.com"

Subtle shilling!! ;)

Glad I clicked the link, nice site.

The only condition was that it was a fairly straight-forward URL, nothing long-winded with a whole load of /this and /that.

That makes sense and I'd fully agree with

Nobody really wants
    Credit:
    Joe Bloggs / www.joeblogswebsite.com/blog/achieve/2009/May/week1/hello.php :)

Subtle shilling!! ;)
    Glad I clicked the link, nice site.

Thanks,
    It needs a few changes here and there any feedback is welcome
    Also I have to yet come up with a main section to the website, its in the works at present :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Quick update - there doesn't seem to be much interest in a 300 book run. However, I've been advised to seek quotes for a 500 book run, as this seems to be an accepted minimum. I've re-submitted my enquiries, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Do you think we could shift 500!

mrmac wrote: »
    Quick update - there doesn't seem to be much interest in a 300 book run. However, I've been advised to seek quotes for a 500 book run, as this seems to be an accepted minimum. I've re-submitted my enquiries, and I'll let you know how it goes.

How many did we sell so far on blurb?
    Also would it be much cheaper then the blurb option?

We sold about 210, and really struggled once it hit the 200 mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

mrmac wrote: »
    We sold about 210, and really struggled once it hit the 200 mark.

That does appear to be a problem then.

Possible solutions;

a) Santa's little helpers flog them everywhere in the run up to Christmas - i'm thinking perhaps Santa Strike Force could mobilise volunteers across boards.ie not exclusively but including photography forum members to do the stand thing in the Shopping Centres

b) Corporate sponsorship / advance orders - a serious amount of work and cold calling required here. The way I'd see it every doctors and dental surgery in the country could have one on their coffee table.

c) Use established distribution channels (whatever that is - anyone know?) to hit every book store in the country. 3 - 5 books average per store would work.

c) Stick with print on demand.

Possible Problems / Concerns;

A possible problem with (a) is the cost factor - some marketing head can crunch the figures but what is the price point that such a book will sell particularly given the r..rr....rrrr....recession (sorry, i'm starting to shake at the mere mention of it :) ) - The market in the run up to Christmas will be rife for harvesting but people i expect will be more price concious.

A possible problem with (c) is the mark up expected in the market will inflate the price.

You are welcome to build on these ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

My gut feeling is that we could shift 500 books if it was a fair bit cheaper that the Blurb book.

We would need to get the book out earlier this year, as last year we really missed the Christmas sales. If it were about the €20 mark you would get a lot more people from other sections of Boards buying it. You can also get sales in some of the places which benefit from SSF as they see the work it does.

I realise a lot of this will depend on price.

Unless we can get this at a much cheaper price, then Blurb is still the best option.
    This is due to the facts that there is no min. stock requirement, no advance payment, no delivery issues - and it's been done before!

Something just came to me - does Blurb offer a discount if we should place an order for 300 books? Now that would be handy!

Who are Blurb? Where are they based?

Hmmm? Off to goo again! Hope to have some decent info on this tomorrow.

Blurb discount:

Volume - Discount

10 - 199 = 10%
    200 - 400 = 15%
    401+ = Send a large order request.

Volume discounts apply only to books that you have created and uploaded yourself.
    Volume discounts are applied toward orders of 10 or more of the same book and cover type.
    If you plan to order multiple copies of a new book, we strongly recommend that you order one copy first to make sure it’s everything you expected.

So 300 x hardcover w dust jacket @ 15% discount (€36.95 - €5.54) = €31.41

:D price is going the right way :D

I wonder how much discount is available for 405 books :cool:

I'll send a PM to whyulittle, and ask him to contact Blurb and find out, seeing as he's a Blurb member!

If the books are cheaper then blurb then we will def shift 500, allow for advanced orders,
    If a photo of mine makes the book I'll be buying atleast 3 books :)
    Bought two copies last year, one being the hardback imagewrap cover

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

So, we could RUN 2 books then, ie. one RANDOM book, and one MOST POPULAR book, that is the most popular (thanked pics in Random thread) or voted upon photos (set up a voting system). I think I'd buy both !!!! :)
    My thinking would be to mostly advertise the Random Book because it will have 80 or so pics, and we will still have a good interest in the 2nd book (due to its content) but it would only have.....say 30-40 pics (keeping costs down).

I see a problem with that.

Your avarge lurker wont buy a best off book if there pic isnt in it.

If it was a random photo book where everyone got an even a fair chance of getting a photo in (and face it aunty mary wont buy a book unless their brilliant little nephew/niece is in it) it would sell well.

But if there was a 'competition' to get photos into the book, i think that it will take most of the fun out of it because most people wont get into it, only the best and brightest will get into it, and that will put a lot of people off.

Sorry for the long winded post but thats my .02 euros worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I wonder if this is getting over-complicated.

To avail of the 400+ discounts will that not involve one order one delivery. If so how is the collection of monies and the delivery of the book arranged.
    The beauty of blurb last year was you could order the book and have it delivered to where you want.
    The collection of money and delivery will push up the costs probably absorbing any discount savings and giving someone a massive headache.

With sponsorship surely the company forking up the monies would want largish sales and plenty of advertising of the book to show the world their involvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭cooligPhoto

I agree with Landyman on this...

I've not had as much free time to spend on this site as I did last year so don't have a photo in the "most popular" section so won't be in that book if there was one.

As for competition - count me out. I'm happy to put a photo in the book as I did last year purely because it was open to all regulars here. If there's a competition to find the "best" photos for the book, I don't have time for that. Noobs mostly won't bother either as they may fear being publicly "belittled" on this site (and probably won't come here again either).

Open to all to enter their favourite photo worked very well last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Hi agree with the guys above, last years effort worked very well given the time constraints. If we complicate this years effort too much, we run the risk of putting a huge workload and strain on a few folk ( and that's just organising the printing/delivery/money), I think that effort (and much kudos to those folk who are prepared to put it in) might be better used promoting what we have.

I'm sure there are some of us here who might be willing to donate a copy or two of the book (as well as the donation built into the price) to have a stock which could be used to promote the book to a wider audience or sell at boards (real world) events, as this stock is sold new copies can be ordered so as to have a continuous flow.

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    Hi agree with the guys above, last years effort worked very well given the time constraints. If we complicate this years effort too much, we run the risk of putting a huge workload and strain on a few folk ( and that's just organising the printing/delivery/money), I think that effort (and much kudos to those folk who are prepared to put it in) might be better used promoting what we have.

I'm sure there are some of us here who might be willing to donate a copy or two of the book (as well as the donation built into the price) to have a stock which could be used to promote the book to a wider audience or sell at boards (real world) events, as this stock is sold new copies can be ordered so as to have a continuous flow.

+1

I really don't think anyone wants a competition.

No decision has been made regarding how this years book will get printed. As already mentioned, it may be best, and easiest, to use Blurb again this year. That can be decided once a quote is received from another publisher.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement