Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire service

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

phily2002 wrote: »
    does anyone know if u can get into the dfb if u have a criminal record?
    thanks in advance

nope, afraid you cant..there are backround checks on applicants

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sparkfireman

ondarack wrote: »
    ok i've a few stupid questions here. i'm just after failing a medical for the gardai purely because I have a lazy eye which cannot be repaired by lazer surgery,every other aspect of my medical was fine. my sight is fine and I dont need glasses or contact lenses its just my sight is weak in 1 eye, would this also disqualify me from the fire service? I also had ligament damage in my knee 7yrs ago which was repaired by surgery, would something like this disqualify me even tho it no longer troubles me? also im living in mallow in cork, we have a fire station which has part-time firemen, would there have to be a recruitment drive on the county council website for part time work?

no ur grand... the retained service usually operate their medicals with step tests etc. they will check eyes ears everything but its down to the chief fire officers etc whether to accept u. i'd say nothing about ur knee if u join, the eye thing is grand... we have a guy whos nearly deaf in 1 ear and hes bang on...

tommy57 wrote: »
    I think the fire brigade is alot more strict than the guards ,i know you d,ont want to hear that but firemen have to have near perfect eyesight regards going into fires etc.

now if u did a ba course you'd know that u cant see going into fires... smoke darkness and steam from ur pulsing would reduce your eyesight anyway.... u can see very little....

dekbhoy wrote: »
    So your telling me people join up for the fun of attending RTA's or pulling dead bodies from canals and burning houses ,i appreciate its not all bad but nobody in their rigth mind jons without taking into account carreer prospects and financial gain.

99% of ppl join to help ppl. they other 1% join for money so are **** at the job. money is 2nd on the list. but u only want to join cos ur bored of ur desk job and want the glamour of sitting in a red fire engine with blue lights... 67k... stick to it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

99% of ppl join to help ppl. they other 1% join for money so are **** at the job. money is 2nd on the list. but u only want to join cos ur bored of ur desk job and want the glamour of sitting in a red fire engine with blue lights... 67k... stick to it...

Not in a desk job, actually maintenance for a state owned company, see the fire brigade on training excersises regularly since i was an apprentice and always fancied a carreer in it ......
    On reflection it is the big blue lights that got me, and big red fire engine ...... suppose the kid comes out in us all at some time .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭chrissb7

i have no problem helping people sure it's why i want to join but i do want to know what the shifts are like.I can understand the need to be on call for emergencies and overtime.But im curious to know that is their ever any stability with time e.g any set days you can have off.What's time like for holidays,vacation time,sick leave? pay wise i don't mind but it'd be nice to know what i would be living off if i ever did join the fire service.oh and this is dublin im talking about as far as fire stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭jono,b

chrissb7 wrote: »
    i have no problem helping people sure it's why i want to join but i do want to know what the shifts are like.I can understand the need to be on call for emergencies and overtime.But im curious to know that is their ever any stability with time e.g any set days you can have off.What's time like for holidays,vacation time,sick leave? pay wise i don't mind but it'd be nice to know what i would be living off if i ever did join the fire service.oh and this is dublin im talking about as far as fire stations.

+1, i would like to have few answers back from this post.

Bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

jono,b wrote: »
    Bump

As the thread is within the top four posts and is only 6 days since last post.....a bump isnt really needed.

Please refrain from needless bumping, Thanks.
    NGA

As the thread is within the top four posts and is only 6 days since last post.....a bump isnt really needed.

Please refrain from needless bumping, Thanks.
    NGA

i'm just looking for a useful post, (not like yours!) as the thread has been viewed alot of times with no replys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

jono,b wrote: »
    i'm just looking for a useful post, (not like yours!) as the thread has been viewed alot of times with no replys.

And if there is nobody here to give you that information deal with it. Needlessly bumping a thread that is already one of the top few wont help.

You bump was not useful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

Bump here, bump there.. probably was Santa on the roof doing all the bumping. :D

I am afraid I can't help you much other that Dublin work a 2-2-4 pattern (which is really 2-2-3)
    2 nine hour day shifts, 2 15hrs night shifts and then 4 days off. Which is really three as you finish at 9am on the last morning. It works out as a 42hr week which all services in Ireland work (full-time). I can't help with any of the other queries.

ZuppyLurk, Thats exactly what i was looking for.

Many thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Paulzx

ZuppyLurk wrote: »
    Bump here, bump there.. probably was Santa on the roof doing all the bumping. :D

I am afraid I can't help you much other that Dublin work a 2-2-4 pattern (which is really 2-2-3)
    2 nine hour day shifts, 2 15hrs night shifts and then 4 days off. Which is really three as you finish at 9am on the last morning. It works out as a 42hr week which all services in Ireland work (full-time). I can't help with any of the other queries.

I'm sorry but thats incorrect.

Its 3 on 3 off.

2 days, 1 night, 3 off
    1 day, 2 nights, 3 off
    2 days, 1 night, 3 off etc.

9 hr days
    15hr nights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

Sorry your right that was the Northern Ireland shift pattern (2-2-4)

Thanks Paulzx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mel123

so does anyone know if they will be recruiting this year? its been at least two or three if i remember correctly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Paulzx

No chance for Dublin. Still a 100 from the last panel waiting to be called

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

The panel only lasts until this May. However, due to the current state of governments and councils that will most likely be extended as the have spent lots to recruit this current panel and would not make sense to let 113 people go off the panel that have sat the test and interview. From a panel of 196 it is thought that they are at 83 on the panel already trained or in training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭lippy88

Anyone know when they are next recruiting??

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DFBLT

Contrary to what has been previously posted there is a moratorium on recruitment to the Fire Service. Dublin Fire Brigade has no plans to recruit in the near future as it already has a panel in place with over 100 people still awaiting a call up. This panel was established in 2007 for a period of 3 years, but is likely to be extended given the costs of running another recruitment campaign are extensive and could not be justified in the current climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

Just thought i would let people know that Limerick county council have vacancies in the fire service for the Limerick county area.

Check out www.lcc.ie (under job vacancies)

Nicola. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Just thought i would let people know that Limerick county council have vacancies in the fire service for the Limerick county area.

Check out www.lcc.ie (under job vacancies)

Nicola. ;)

Just to add - From www.lcc.ie

"Latest date for receipt of completed application forms in the Human Resources Department is 4.00 p.m. on Thursday, 11th March 2010."

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭youneverknow

dekbhoy wrote: »
    So your telling me people join up for the fun of attending RTA's or pulling dead bodies from canals and burning houses ,i appreciate its not all bad but nobody in their rigth mind jons without taking into account carreer prospects and financial gain.

as said before dont apply if your thinking of money, shows how shallow some people are. i watched my friend dying on the side of the road after a jeep pulled out in front of his bike, after helping the paramedics with him i knew i was in the wrong job, i started the ball rolling striaght away to become a paramedic, sad to say he died later in hospital but it made me even more driven to get the training. when you help someone or try to help them it surpasses any wage packet you can get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭daddymick66

tommy57 wrote: »
    if you only want to join fire service for money your wasting your time. stick to your 67k job.
    you would be 17 years as a full time firefighter to earn anything near that,so stay in your job getting 67k a year, as firefighters wages are gone down a lot since biffo and his anglo buddys decided the public servants are going to pay for the bankers sins;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭daddymick66

as said before dont apply if your thinking of money, shows how shallow some people are. i watched my friend dying on the side of the road after a jeep pulled out in front of his bike, after helping the paramedics with him i knew i was in the wrong job, i started the ball rolling striaght away to become a paramedic, sad to say he died later in hospital but it made me even more driven to get the training. when you help someone or try to help them it surpasses any wage packet you can get

i admire your thoughts re helping someone, but those emotions wont run a car,pay a mortgage, clothe children, pay household bills etc, the reality of life in the emergency services is far from the romantic/idealistic notions displayed by some posters on here, beleive me i know,im a firefighter in cork city with over 20 years service

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭youneverknow

i admire your thoughts re helping someone, but those emotions wont run a car,pay a mortgage, clothe children, pay household bills etc, the reality of life in the emergency services is far from the romantic/idealistic notions displayed by some posters on here, beleive me i know,im a firefighter in cork city with over 20 years service

you know the fella that trained me to drive a bus so, he retired from there:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

At the risk of starting a war I just want to ask a genuine question. Can anybody tell me what the general salary is for a member of Dublin Fire Brigade.
    I know money shouldnt be the main reason for wanting this career (and for me its not the main reason) but it is still an important factor to consider. I've tried searching for the answer but can't seem to find it.
    I would greatly appreciate it if anybody could shed some light on this.

Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 herbert p

Hi, Im 17 and thinking of joining the naas auxiliary fire service. I just wanted to know what my duties would be, whats the training like, are there many lads my age in there and can you join if you live in Blessington?

herbert p wrote: »
    Hi, Im 17 and thinking of joining the naas auxiliary fire service. I just wanted to know what my duties would be, whats the training like, are there many lads my age in there and can you join if you live in Blessington?

Yes its grand... go for it... im not directly involved but im a firefighter in the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Yes its grand... go for it... im not directly involved but im a firefighter in the county.
    The kid is about 20 at this stage. :p

Advertisement