Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire service

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

So no one knows anything about the wage structure or is willing to share it?

In the Kildare area were would one keep an eye for recruitment? Or what would the recruitment policy be?

Before anyone says it money is not my motivation for wanting to join but I do have a child and bills to pay so it does have to be a consideration.

What is the ideal age for recruitment? I'm 30 currently.

I've always loved the idea of working in the fire service or as a paramedic the idea of doing something worthwhile instead of just going through the motions in a job I hate to earn a living. So any information on what I would need, best places to look, what would help with recruitment would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭fiverfriday

In the Kildare area were would one keep an eye for recruitment? Or what would the recruitment policy be?

Before anyone says it money is not my motivation for wanting to join but I do have a child and bills to pay so it does have to be a consideration.

I've always loved the idea of working in the fire service or as a paramedic the idea of doing something worthwhile instead of just going through the motions in a job I hate to earn a living. So any information on what I would need, best places to look, what would help with recruitment would be greatly appreciated.

There are different rates of pay depending on which recruitment campaign you came in. The older lads will be on much more than the new recruits.

Check out Kildarecountycouncil.ie (jobs@kildarecoco.ie) for information regarding their Fire Service.

With the exception of Dublin, most Fire Services are trained up to Emergency First Reponder or Emergency Medical Technican level and not Paramedics, unless they've went through the Para training themselves. As a FF you are a primary firefighter and a medic second to that. Very few Brigades in Ireland have their own medical vehicle / Ambulance.

With regards age wise, the average age in the last Dublin Fire Brigade recruitment from the Dublin City Council panel was 30-33 so you're grand there.

Keep your fitness levels up, get your B, C, D driving licences, do some first aid or medical courses yourself before you apply. Join a voluntary organisation and see how you cope working within a ranked structure. Make yourself better than the person sitting beside you.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pauld81

Keep an eye on the County Council website recruitment page for vacancies - http://kildare.ie/countycouncil/HumanResources/StaffVacancies/VacanciesinKildareCountyCouncil/index.html
    The retainer wage works out around €120 a week, including drill night training. The calls pay extra depending on day, night, week day or weekend.. The pay rates are included in the advertisement.
    Just get ready for the next recruitment. If you practice psychometric tests (allot of councils and others are using these to whittle down numbers). Get your first aid qualifications up, try the EFR, or join your local Civil Defence - get first aid and Auxiliary Fire Service experience! Then if ya really wana push the boat out get the C (rigid lorry) driving licence. Try social welfare and whatever fas is now for funding..
    And best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Google "retained firefighter terms site:ie" on google, read what comes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

A firefighter starts off on a retainer of €8,402 after 5yrs at that grade goes to €9,439 after 10 years €10,383.
    Fire rate 1st hour €39.72 subsequent hrs €19.86
    night /weekend €79.44 subsequent hr €39.72
    Drill rate €19.86 x 80 hrs per year
    Unless your in a busy station you won't be going mad on it.;)

Something tells me they clipped 10% off this for recruits!:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement