Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crappy Connection

• 21-05-2009 1:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

I don't know what the fecking story is but my net situation is killing me. It feels like I'm on dial-up. Any advice is much appreciated!

I'll give as much info as I can here. I am techtarded and know SFA bout how stuff works so if you need to know more to get a better picture please ask.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000, Intel Pention 1.60Ghz, 221Mhz, 504MB RAM running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3.

I have an emobile HUWAEI Mobile Connect - 3G Modem #3 (Com8), server type PPP, with a supposed speed of 7.2Mbps.

Speedtest.net tells me the following:

ping: 576 ms
    d/l speed: 0.31 Mbps
    u/l speed: 0.06 Mbps

478292717.png

edit: after looking at one of the other threads here I'm wondering is such poor connectivity normal with these products? :/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Tristram wrote: »
    I have an emobile HUWAEI Mobile Connect - 3G Modem #3 (Com8), server type PPP, with a supposed speed of 7.2Mbps.

The 7.2M is the connection speed between the modem and the PC. It's the maximum speed your 3G connection could achieve, but it is not necessarily indicative of what speed you'll get.

I'm guessing you're in Japan? Speeds will vary greatly with any 3G service, between zero and whatever the maximum is. There's very little that you or your ISP can do about it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

whats he doing in japan with 3 ffs

life never ceases to amaze....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

3G *IS* dialup. Just very fast dialling.

7.2Mbps can be the peak speed of the mast for a single user only with perfect signal
    see
    http://www.radioway.info/comparewireless/CompareHSPAandFixed-v4.html
    for a simplified explanation of why your actual transfer can be only dialup speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

if i was in Japan the last thing id be doing is assing around with sub kb/sec speeds with 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

jor el wrote: »
    The 7.2M is the connection speed between the modem and the PC. It's the maximum speed your 3G connection could achieve, but it is not necessarily indicative of what speed you'll get.

I'm guessing you're in Japan? Speeds will vary greatly with any 3G service, between zero and whatever the maximum is. There's very little that you or your ISP can do about it too.

K, I understand the first part. Yeah, I'm in Japan. By "very little" do you mean nothing or is there something that can be done? I was hoping this was simply a case of me being too stupid to know how to make the damn thing work...

• Advertisement

if i was in Japan the last thing id be doing is assing around with sub kb/sec speeds with 3

This is the net connection that I was provided with and I don't think I'm in a position to seek out a new ISP. I'm new here and I don't speak the language which makes things that are normally simple somewhat more challenging. I clearly don't know anything about this stuff so how about instead of making smart-ass comments you make a helpful suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'm afraid "mobile" very often, depending on signal and number of users (voice calls get priority) is not like Broadband.

Try a different location.

http://www.emobile.jp/cgi-bin/e_press.cgi?id=396

I thought NTT was all Foma. They obviously have 3G also.

@x in the city.
    It's not "3" as in our HongKong friends Huchenson Whampoa
    it is "emobile" a Japanese 3G ISP.
    EMOBILE surpasses 1.5 million subscribers in April 2009 and introduces "90% population coverage" logo to promote area expansion.(Language:Japanes)

350Kbps = 0.35Mbps = 3G only not HSDPA speed.

It could be that when roaming on NTT you only have basic 3G, which *IS* the speed you are getting,

See is there a 3G <-> HSPA or HSDPA or "Hi Speed" setting on your modem GUI.

NTT launched 3G in 2001 and is trailing LTE at the minute. It may depend on a modem setting or on whatever roaming deal eMobile has with NTT DoCoMo. In any case not eMobile nor your Modem does LTE.

However your speeds are not unusual at all even for High speed version of 3G AKA HSDPA, HSUPA or HSPA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Tristram wrote: »
    K, I understand the first part. Yeah, I'm in Japan. By "very little" do you mean nothing or is there something that can be done? I was hoping this was simply a case of me being too stupid to know how to make the damn thing work...

All you can do is move around and see if you get a better signal, though signal strength may not be the problem. If the issue is contention, due to the number of users, then there is nothing you can do.

If you're connected, which you seem to be, then that's as much as you can do. With mobile Internet, what you get is what you get.

Thanks lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

http://www.bbapply.com/

Help get you set up with a decent connection for ex-pats in Japan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement