Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Race Pics and Vids Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Pint of Guinness straight off the boat, nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

elyod wrote: »
    2 o'clock in the morning and there's about 50 boats chasing us. They're all half langered. :D

Uh, hope they didn't mean that in the same sense as we would. Having a drink on-board is one thing, but gettin p1ssed at night and navigating is totally different. It's not the navigation, it's the reaction if something went wrong, especially with so much traffic! All it would take is one accident to screw the rest of the fun for the rest of us :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31,902 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Class video there! So many people there, was great to see it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Ericsonn 3 coming in last place: http://www.r2prod.net/ERT/preview.php?video=videos/240509_VNR_E3_galway_arrival

Still a good crowd out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Any vid's of Green Dragon coming in, I wonder?

-Edit- Just spotted this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I was undecided whether I'd head down to the docks last night as I was nursing a durty hangover all day, boy was I glad I went. I was an absolutely brilliant night, one of the best nights I've had out in Galway in ages and I wasn't even drinking!

The crowd was huge, half of which were pissed. Everyone was in flying form, it felt more like a party than anything else. When the boats came into the docks the crowd went nuts. Just heard on the radio that there was approx 10,000 people there, I'd say that's a bit on the conservative side. Keith Finnegan (MC for the night) said that the Harbour Master had told him that there were at least 500 small boats in the bay to meet the race boats.

Anyway, enough of me flapping my lips on to the pictures;
    (Apologies for the appalling quality of the pictures but in my wisdom I forgot to bring any gloves and my hands were like two blocks of ice come the end of the night)

The crowd starting to build at the Long Walk at about 1am
    IMG_0333.jpg

Here is Ericsson4 emerging from the black, rounding Nimmos Pier and heading for the docks
    IMG_0344.jpg

Fireworks!
    IMG_0337.jpg
    Mooring up at the docks
    IMG_0349.jpg
    Presentations
    IMG_0352.jpg

Puma arriving at the docks;
    IMG_0359.jpg
    Presentation to the Puma team
    IMG_0361.jpg

Poor Finno looking freezing, bet he was wishing he was in mass
    IMG_0362.jpg
    A load of lads dancing their arses off
    IMG_0370.jpg

The biggest cheer of the night came for the Green Dragon team
    IMG_0364.jpg

Hot on the heals of Green Dragon, Telefonica Blue rolled into town.
    Champagne!
    IMG_0374.jpg

Green Dragon with Telefonica Blue in the background
    IMG_0381.jpg
    Puma
    IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0386.jpg

Delta Lloyd moseying in the bay at about 5am as I headed for home
    IMG_0389.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

got some pics last night, the crowd was brilliant, lack of gardai though, which is neither here nor there but there didnt seem to be much piss actin, fantastic night (after work!) overall!

as ye know, my cam is crap with bad lighting, so apologise for the quality.!....

didnt get a wink of sleep, it was ridiculous! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Any vid's of Green Dragon coming in, I wonder?

-Edit- Just spotted this

We were talking to the fella that took that video last night, and he showed us that clip on his camera as we missed the arrival of Green Dragon. He said that he would be putting it on you tube, quick work!

Well, my son (Combat5) and I decided to go down to the docks last night to try and get some pictures and got up at stupid O'Clock (3am) and headed down. We got there just as Green Dragon was entering the docks but we could'nt get near to see it as they were 3,4 and even 5 deep at the barriers. We headed over to the gates area and took a few pictures from there before heading back to the docks area again. The conditions weren't great for pictures as Using a slow shutter speed to get the pictures but the wind made it very difficult to get clear steady shots. So some of these aren't as good as I would like and little grainy but hopefully it will be of interest to some one. Also I think the atmosphere there last night was electric, have'nt been at anything like it for as long as I can remember. There was plenty of alcaholic lubrication, but no trouble as far as I could see, everyone was out for a good time, almost carnival like. I think that the organisers really nailed it last night, well done to all concerned. Any way my first batch.

_MG_0015.jpg

_MG_0036.jpg

_MG_0092.jpg

_MG_0097.jpg

_MG_0098.jpg

_MG_0100.jpg

_MG_0103.jpg

_MG_0106.jpg

_MG_0109.jpg

_MG_0112.jpg

_MG_0115.jpg

_MG_0121.jpg

_MG_0130.jpg

_MG_0133.jpg

Thanks for looking.

TG4 show starting in a couple of minutes (6.10 - Sunday)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Sweet!

Looks like it was some night!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

unbelievalbe photos vulcan, 1st pic really deadly! thanks a mil! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Popped down today and even though there was nothing going on there was still thousands of people milling around. Took a few pics of the boats but because of the crowds did not get many chances to get clear shots ... most of boats are now in dry dock for repairs.

Green Dragon (1)

Green Dragon (2)

Ericson 3

Puma (1)

Puma (2)

Puma Public Display Boat

Telefonica

Group Shot on Dry Dock

Some Private boats

There fine photos, good to have all stages of the boats stay in the city, here their catching a few z's.

Just two quick snaps of Northabout. IMO the most impressive boat in the docks. Got talking to two of the crew members, they were really sound.

IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Yes i noticed that boat, certainly built for power / speed.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Roseyland

Some pics from last night

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Roseyland

And another

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

A few snaps from my ramble around town today. I'll just put in thumbnails, click for the full versions. Nowhere near as nice as some of the great pics posted earlier, thanks for those guys, I'm gutted that I didn't stick around for the arrival last night.

IMG_0862_thumb.jpg

IMG_0863_thumb.jpg

IMG_0865_thumb.jpg

IMG_0871_thumb.jpg

IMG_0873_thumb.jpg
    (A crew member clearly hosing all the fag butts and cans off the deck here, it must have been a fun voyage :p)

IMG_0877_thumb.jpg

IMG_0880_thumb.jpg

• Advertisement

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    unbelievalbe photos vulcan, 1st pic really deadly! thanks a mil! :D

Thanks for the compliment foxy. You seem to have the ideal vantage point for the two weeks:) , and taking some nice pictures yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Just two quick snaps of Northabout. IMO the most impressive boat in the docks. Got talking to two of the crew members, they were really sound.

IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg

One of the crew who sails that boat is a doctor from my home town. Thats a seriously impressive boat, even for a nautically challenged individual like me - especially when you know the story about where its been.

One of the crew who sails that boat is a doctor from my home town. Thats a seriously impressive boat, even for a nautically challenged individual like me - especially when you know the story about where its been.

I've read the book and watched the RTE program about the lads. A truly amazing story. To think such a small boat with made from aluminum could undertake such journeys is unbelievable. Respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

A few pics from the arrival, Not very good I'm afraid hand held in the cold and dark.

544899372_6TY7y-M.jpg
    Crowd near Dun Aengus at 1:15

544899666_bc3Tg-M.jpg
    Fireworks for Ericsson 4

544899991_SEoPS-M.jpg
    A shakey shot of Ericsson 4 coming in

544900767_KVRvH-M.jpg
    Another one

And from sunday afternoon
    544893516_tzsSg-M-1.jpg
    Green Dragon in servicing area

544892972_eusnf-M-1.jpg
    Puma in servicing area

544895178_YsVGZ-M.jpg
    Demasted Ericsson 4 with Ericsson 3

544895380_CCzFX-M.jpg
    The servicing area

544893449_YGFZM-M.jpg
    The boat that was in the opening cermony

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Trying to post some pics here from earlier today...but struggling and can't understand the instructions..can someone PM me with how to do it? The photos are stored on iphoto on my comp but don't have a url etc!! sorry, clueless but have some good pics:)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,902 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

If they are looking for a URL I assume you would have to upload them on a file sharing site first such as photobucket...

On topic, I can't wait to go in and see what all the hype is about!! Really looking forward to the Hothouse Flowers and Stonelakes who are supporting the Corona's (should be the other way around in my opinion!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Trying to post some pics here from earlier today...but struggling and can't understand the instructions..can someone PM me with how to do it? The photos are stored on iphoto on my comp but don't have a url etc!! sorry, clueless but have some good pics:)

Use apple-Click to select multiple photos in iPhoto, then go to File>Export which will save them somewhere, e.g. your desktop. Then when you're replying to a thread here click the paperclip icon to upload them as attachments to boards. When you're finished you can delete them from your desktop (they'll still be in iPhoto).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

You could try adding them as attachments, it's the paperclip symbol.
    It has size limits though and they appear as a link rather than an image, so a sharing site is probably a better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Ta, giving it a whirl now..

Earlier today..

4261_180915465580_502670580_7005581_382071_n.jpg

Hoisting the Delta LLoyd...
    4261_180915460580_502670580_7005580_4712974_n.jpg

Up on top of the Puma boat for a look-see:
    4261_180915455580_502670580_7005579_5806548_n.jpg

The swan-boat tonight:
    4261_180913885580_502670580_7005554_729929_n.jpg

The crowd just around 11pm:
    4261_180915470580_502670580_7005582_4816975_n.jpg

• Advertisement

(off topic)Corona's are one tight outfit!, great photos lady pennyworth.

Advertisement