Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Race Pics and Vids Thread

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Entered 8 pictures in the Fahy Foto competition and got a phone call from them today to say that, although I didn't win the overall prize I am in the top 5 and the top 5 will be on show in the shop window and on their website from tomorrow. Really chuffed. Wonder was it anyone on here that won as there were some super shots posted here.

Well done man :) which photo was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Well done indeed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

cornbb wrote: »
    Well done man :) which photo was it?

Don't know yet, they didn't tell me. Will have to wait till tomorrow, will let you know when I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Well done vulcan57, delighted to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Entered 8 pictures in the Fahy Foto competition and got a phone call from them today to say that, although I didn't win the overall prize I am in the top 5 and the top 5 will be on show in the shop window and on their website from tomorrow. Really chuffed. Wonder was it anyone on here that won as there were some super shots posted here.

Got that exact same phone call this afternoon :D
    Will have to have a gander in their window now I suppose! Looking forward to seeing the winning photo myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i was gonna enter it but you had to print out your shots and i dont have a printer, so to print out the sizes i wanted it would have cost me 30euro+ in their shop.
    So effectively im paying them to enter their competition! i initially asked would they accept the files on a disk, they said yes but needed the prints as well.
    oh and you dont get your prints back!

You only had to print 7x5's to enter the competition, not that expensive! I entered 12 in total and I used Photobox and cost me €3 not including postage. I thought their T&C's were fair enough TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

ya i know it was 7x5 but when i selected that size the crop was to small and quality was lost, i had to scale up and hence the price- plus it was 4pm on saturday and closing time was 5.30, yes i know my fault for not doing it earlier!

I just think they had gotten loads of publicity of the back of it and they could have just accepted the files, reviewed them and then printed out the best five for the window.
    That is all...

Photo Competition Results Page
    All 5 Winning Photo's are up, I especially like the Winning one, was it also printed in the Advertiser? Brendan Lawlors one is fantastic as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Melty

winning pic looks suspiciously like the one gary82 posted way back... ;)

• Advertisement

majiktripp wrote: »
    Photo Competition Results Page
    All 5 Winning Photo's are up, I especially like the Winning one, was it also printed in the Advertiser? Brendan Lawlors one is fantastic as well.

If it was published it shouldn't have been entered as the rules said that pictures that had been publish were not allowed. Not that I'm complaining, though, coming a runner up to a picture of that callibre is a privilidge without a doubt and it is a very worthy winner. Brendan Lawlor's was an absolute cracker as well. well done to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Very like the one in the Advertiser a few weeks back by another photographer but I think we all saw gary82's first:) ; see here for the pic in the Advertiser the same week: http://www.ronanpalliser.ie/gallery.php?page=portfolio&name=volvooceanrace2009&id=102#image

So I believe Gary82 is the winner
    gary82 wrote: »
    And a panoramic shot of the opening ceremony... :cool:

EDIT: Decent med-quality version removed as advised! Sorry folks. Read good few threads on photo forum of press robbing photos from the net for free.

stitch_smaller.jpg

Well done!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Wohooo!! :eek: Was without phone coverage this morning so delighted and shocked to get the email earlier this evening!!! Can't believe I'm going to get my hands on a Digital SLR! Didn't think I could be afford one for a good few years to come! I assure you it'll be well used (took 500 photos in the last 4 days!)...

I'm especially delighted that we have at least 3 boardsies in the top five! ;) Congrats majiktripp and vulcan57!

Also I suppose I'm now outed as not actually a "Gary"! :cool:

skelliser wrote: »
    i was gonna enter it but you had to print out your shots and i dont have a printer, so to print out the sizes i wanted it would have cost me 30euro+ in their shop.
    So effectively im paying them to enter their competition! i initially asked would they accept the files on a disk, they said yes but needed the prints as well.
    oh and you dont get your prints back!
    skelliser wrote: »
    ya i know it was 7x5 but when i selected that size the crop was to small and quality was lost, i had to scale up and hence the price- plus it was 4pm on saturday and closing time was 5.30, yes i know my fault for not doing it earlier!

I just think they had gotten loads of publicity of the back of it and they could have just accepted the files, reviewed them and then printed out the best five for the window.
    That is all...

I was thinking that myself too. As the panoramic print needs a very big long print to get the detail I thought I'd have no chance so was about to not enter... but the guy in the shop insisted that the print does not need to be large and that the digital copy would be reviewed. My printed version was just a strip of an image!

If it was published it shouldn't have been entered as the rules said that pictures that had been publish were not allowed. Not that I'm complaining, though, coming a runner up to a picture of that callibre is a privilidge without a doubt and it is a very worthy winner.

Yeah mine wasn't published anywhere. I did upload a roughly stitched, scaled-down panoramic up here but don't think that counts as "published". To be technical about it, the entered image slightly different as the one uploaded here was just a rough panoramic :). Deliberately didn't enter it into the Pix competition either because of that.

As you can see from Ronan Palliser's photos (Advertiser), they were taken after as all the boats are in the water, also much bigger crowd. Great shot though! I'd say it's the friday night before the middle weekend. Boats hadn't arrived for the opening ceremony shot.
    Brendan Lawlor's was an absolute cracker as well. well done to everyone.

I agree! By far the best photo imho! The brief was to capture the "Spirit and Atmosphere" of the stopover in Galway, so maybe it didn't fulfill that. Would love a print of his photo though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Congrats to thos on here who made top 5, and especially Joseph "gary82" Hyland on his win and new camera.

Nobody's mentioned it yet, but I love the Eiblín Ní Hir photo - there's a touch of the classic "men & currach" shot about it.

currach_4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Congrats to you all :)
    i really enjoyed all the pictures being posted each day
    of the VOR and was a thoroughly enjoyable thread :D

well done to you all as im sure everyone else will agree too :D

Well done Gary82, a well deserved winner and enjoy your DSLR, you will definitely notice a difference. I, and a lot of others on here, will have noticed that that picture was something special. Congrats again.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

congrats to all. delighted to see representation from boards :D

Had a look in the window at lunch time, prints look fantastic, only things are there are no names beside the prints nor the descriptions that are on the website page. Also Gary82's print has a cling film like cover over it that's crinkled an detracts from the photo a small bit. Might send them an email an see if they can get the names up on cards or something.

I had a look aswell today and they look really good blown up like that. Cling film or not, the winning picture is even better than I had thought.

Yeah the enlarged prints look well - I hope we can have them after they've been displayed! :cool:

• Advertisement

Yeah the enlarged prints look well - I hope we can have them after they've been displayed! :cool:

I actually went into the shop and asked what they would be doing with them after they had finished displaying them. He said they would be given to the photographers. Looking forward to getting mine.

Sweet!! Good to hear we get to keep the prints eventually :D

Happy Days! :)

Just got a reply from Gerry @ Fahy Foto and he told me they now have finished the display with entrants names on each print , and a selection of other entrants images will be displayed on the LCD tv above the winning prints.

Nice picture of you collecting your prize in the window along with photos Gary82

Nice photo of Gary82 in the Galway Independent today! Nice to see the winning photo as well as some recognition making it into the Galway press.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

And a panoramic shot of the opening ceremony... :cool:

EDIT: Decent med-quality version removed as advised!

One of Gary82's shots ( I remembered it from this thread) has appeared on the official website for Volvo 2012, hopefully he got sorted for it as he well deserves.

http://www.letsdoitgalway.com/09359-Front-Cover.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Hey that's not my photo... (formerly "gary82" before being outed as "Joe" in the VOR photo competition :p)

This was my pic;

vor.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Hi joe,

superb picture, hopefully the next VOR will give you even more possibilities for pics like these:cool:

westgolf

• Advertisement
Advertisement