Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Protest vote is it just plain wasted

Options
  • 21-05-2009 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

I have read here and else where about how people are going to 'protest vote' in the upcoming local elections. What do they hope to gain by this, will the people who have gotten us into the present mess pay any heed to the results.

Why oh why do we cut off our noses to spite our faces in this country :mad:. Surely we should vote for the person who has and will continue to do, their best for your local area, even if they are from the present goverments parties. I personally got great help from a local FF councilor and will have no problem voting for him even though I have issues with his party, I will also be voting for Joe Higgins in Europe because I believe he is an honest man who deserves a large platform to point out all that is wrong in this little country of ours. I still remember to our shame when a tv deflector candidate was elected to the Dail :eek: by the good people of Donegal, schools, hospitals maybe but TV deflectors, what idiots.

Use your head and unlike the sheep, vote for the betterment of our local communities. I vote across party lines on local issues when it is a local election and on national issues when electing TD's.

I always cringe at the Irish electorate because we elect TD's on local issues and never look at the big picture and then get rid of hard working local councilors of all parties because we don't like the muppets we!! put into power.

So don't do what one of the sheep in my work did and admit that, yes his local FF councilor was excellent and had even helped him out on a local issue but as he told him on his doorstep that NO!! he wouldn't vote for him because he was FF even though he was a great man and hoped he got back in :confused:.

That's not a protest vote, that's a stupidly wasted vote.

And no I'm not a FF supporter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

A valid vote is a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Why would you vote for FF when you have a problem with his party? His party are the ones in government. The ones that have brought in all of the policies over the last 12 years that have us where we are now. While your local politician may have your best interests at heart, his comrades dont.

I wont be voting FF. Tbh tho I really dont know who to vote for. The leaflets Ive gotten in the door say nothing about the parties policies or changes that they intend to bring in, just finger pointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    And no I'm not a FF supporter.

Yet your going to vote for them even though you have issues with them?

Voting them back in just reinforces the idea that they are doing a good job and nothing will change...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭ben bedlam

Perhaps there is a Fianna Fail member out there who does good work for their local area. However, I would still advocate voting against Fianna Fail for the following reasons:

1: If Fianna Fail do anyway well in these elections, Cowen and co. will feel reinforced by this, and see it as a mandate of sorts to continue their pathetic, destructive policies.

2: Even the 'good' local Fianna Fail members are still associated with the party who have literally brought this country to such a decrepit state. Sure the local Fianna Fail man may be good on the ground, but who among them would dare stand up and speak out against such terrible party policies? None. They may be collateral damage, but I have little pity for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

ben bedlam wrote: »
    Perhaps there is a Fianna Fail member out there who does good work for their local area. However, I would still advocate voting against Fianna Fail for the following reasons:

1: If Fianna Fail do anyway well in these elections, Cowen and co. will feel reinforced by this, and see it as a mandate of sorts to continue their pathetic, destructive policies.

2: Even the 'good' local Fianna Fail members are still associated with the party who have literally brought this country to such a decrepit state. Sure the local Fianna Fail man may be good on the ground, but who among them would dare stand up and speak out against such terrible party policies? None. They may be collateral damage, but I have little pity for them.

If they were actually a 'good FF member' they would have the decency to walk away from the party.

I wouldn't say that it was a coincidence that the name Fianna Fail appears in the smallest font possible on the election posters.

Otherwise. I think it's time for the backbenchers to step forwards and take control of their party and try to set it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

When people say that they are looking for change, what exactly are they hoping for. Do we honestly think that the present mess can be undone. We voted for the goverment, I personally voted green in the last election so we all are complicit to a degree in what is and has happened. We were all part of the pyramid scheme that the property circus became.

Yes I want a change, I along with everyone am down x amount of euros every week. But I am also a realist, I too look at the junk mail coming thru my letterbox and see the same old rethoric, change, new leaf, new start etc. etc.

If we really want to see change get people to vote for Ned and Pat the Cope in Europe and there by reduce the present goverments majority or embarress the indepentants and green party TD's that prop up the goverment into asking for meaningful changes to policys.

Start the overhaul of our country today not by protest but by meaningful arguements and I disagree that my voting for a good local man somehow adds oxygen to the present goverment.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

If they were actually a 'good FF member' they would have the decency to walk away from the party.

+1

Hence the reason why I wont be voting for the gangsters either.

There is no such thing as a 'good FF member', once people realise this the country will be in much better shape.

Advertisement