Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to stop plaster cracking from heat from stove?

Options
  • 21-05-2009 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

hi there...

as the title says..
    putting in a stove, building stone around it to make a makeshift fireplace..
    what can we get to put behind the stove on the wall to stop it cracking from the heat???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Maybe if this was moved to DIY, or construction and planning, i might get a better response, as its a new build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Femelade wrote: »
    hi there...

as the title says..
    putting in a stove, building stone around it to make a makeshift fireplace..
    what can we get to put behind the stove on the wall to stop it cracking from the heat???

is the stone not all the way around so whats the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

we will be building the stone around it...like a fireplace,stone on either side of the stove, but we wont be putting stone on the wall behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

assuming the stove will be at least 100mm from the back wall, I use cement board with a cement based skim over it. The cement board if fixed with stainless steel or alkaline resistant screws

[I am assuming u have access to, and are complying with the fire regs in Part J of the Building regs]

You will invariably get very fine cracks in virtually any material like sand cement plaster, skim etc at the back of a stove

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 callaghanjp

Installing a stove as above. Do I need to take the flue pipe up the chimney to get a good draught. The flue will be coming out of the back of the stove and in to a chamber which will be made behind the stove. Guess the opening will be bricked up with a circle opening left to insert the flue pipe. Hope this makes sense. Sorry if I've hi -jacked this thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement