Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vote registration?

Options
  • 21-05-2009 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked before, my older brother is moving back to Ireland soon and I dont know how to get him on the vote register. He was born in england but raised in Ireland both our parents are Irish and he holds an Irish passport. He left here when he was 17 and has never had an Irish pps number, so where does he start ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I think you have to be resident in Ireland for 6 months, so he probably wont get to vote in Lisbon II or the general election if its soon.

Depends then on his citizenship. British citizens cant vote in referenda, but they can vote in everything else.

Asfaik you dont need a PPS number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

turgon wrote: »
    I think you have to be resident in Ireland for 6 months, so he probably wont get to vote in Lisbon II or the general election if its soon.

Depends then on his citizenship. British citizens cant vote in referenda, but they can vote in everything else.

Asfaik you dont need a PPS number.
    Thanks for the fast reply Turgon. He is an Irish citizen, he has an Irish passport and never voted in another country,but how dose he get on the register?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

O.A.P wrote: »
    Thanks for the fast reply Turgon. He is an Irish citizen, he has an Irish passport and never voted in another country,but how dose he get on the register?

Go to the Library and get a registration form. He will prob need a garda to sign it so will need plenty of ID. It seems as if its prohibitive but its to prevent double voter registration, Not that it has happened, just to prevent!

##### Link below has it so no need for the library, just check he is still on it in 6 months after he registers sometimes newbe;s are knocked off. I dont know why but dont think its a conspiracy #####

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

You can download the form here.

As you said, he will need to get the from signed at a Garda station.

You definitely need to be resident here for the last 6 months!

Thanks Joey any public library then?

• Advertisement

Just got it thanks lads.:)

Advertisement