Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6th Sense Technology

• 21-05-2009 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Ok watch the video in full then I'd love to hear people opinions from a CT POV.

Obviously this tech could be abused but what drawback would you see to it? Surely its only gathering information thats readily available?

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/pattie_maes_demos_the_sixth_sense.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I do have a problem with the ability to get information on a person but again you can ony get what information is already there. Her comment at the end about a "brain implant" was funny but if thats the direction these people are aiming for then maybe theres a problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

6th wrote: »
    I do have a problem with the ability to get information on a person but again you can ony get what information is already there. Her comment at the end about a "brain implant" was funny but if thats the direction these people are aiming for then maybe theres a problem?

Well they won't be puttin one in my brain .

Ah they'd hardly force them, I mean they dont force people to carry mobile phones but so many people have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Brain implant sounds like cool I'd love one, great technology.

Would make it really hard to lie about things, though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Ah they'd hardly force them, I mean they dont force people to carry mobile phones but so many people have them.

Thats the trick though, you make it attractive to the public so they choose to buy surveillance tech of their free will. Dupe them essentially. I think this gadget is awesome but it presents almost limitless opportunities for enhanced surveillance. Implanting chips in brains will probably become a cultural thing, again people will just buy into it. I think this is a profoundly bad idea in the respect that anyone would in theory have access to your thoughts if they really wanted to.

• Advertisement

Brain implant sounds like cool I'd love one, great technology.

Would make it really hard to lie about things, though!

:eek:You want to be like the borg ! And they will program you to think whatever they want you to think , that is already done to a degree with television , people get ideas from television and they think it is their own ideas , that they get from television .
    This sixth sence is all about mind control , it is whoever programs the computer who will be making your decisions for you , very bad idea , also people would lose the ability to think , to make decisions , we would become less intelligent with this because we would not have to observe and make decisions , you see this is a machine which observes for you , so people using this would not have to be alert and observe as much , ah but thats what makes us intelligent , when you are not observing you are asleep , you are in a dreamworld , this sixth-sence device is about pulling the wool over your eyes .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Or maybe it'll be a chip that will free our minds, give us the ability to move objects telekinetically, give us the ability to read each others minds so that we can see what people really want and mean, thus elimintating the need to lie and cheat. This could be the first step towards Nirvana.

As it hasn't happened yet, it's all still firmly in the realms of fantasy.

The mark of the Beast in my opinion..
    I wouldnt get an implant in my brain.

Ok folks the implant in the brain was just a line at the end of the video, what do people make of the development so far?

I bet you some here havent even watched it :D

I have watched it , it seems to be a camera connected to a computer that you wear , so it observes for you and tells you what you are supposed to buy , what you are supposed to think , if you meet someone it tells you what you are supposed to think about them , next thing it will probably be telling you how many breaths you are supposed to take , it looks like a mind control operation to me .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well I just got to watch it now. I think it's pretty cool. I'm sure they could hook it up to those special glasses with the monitor in the eye piece so that instead of having it projected on a wall, it'll be on the lense. It'll save embarressing moments like if you passed by Gerry Ryan and "C*nt* was projected onto his chest! :D
    espinolman wrote: »
    I have watched it , it seems to be a camera connected to a computer that you wear , so it observes for you and tells you what you are supposed to buy , what you are supposed to think , if you meet someone it tells you what you are supposed to think about them , next thing it will probably be telling you how many breaths you are supposed to take , it looks like a mind control operation to me .

That's not how it works at all. It displays info that's already freely available on the internet. You could bring your laptop around with you and you get the same result, without having to have marker tops on your fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭M@21

Very interesting.
    I'm sure the mobile phone companies will love this!
    Can you imagine the cost of being online all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

have to admit it is pretty cool as far as technology goes but at the same time sort of frightening aswell for me anyways. Its the first step to what she says at the end of the video that being putting a chip in your head which I think is wrong were not machines were people pretty soon we'll all be T1000'S with John Connor on our tail if this lady and her company have their way. Not for me.

WakeUp wrote: »
    have to admit it is pretty cool as far as technology goes but at the same time sort of frightening aswell for me anyways. Its the first step to what she says at the end of the video that being putting a chip in your head which I think is wrong were not machines were people pretty soon we'll all be T1000'S with John Connor on our tail if this lady and her company have their way. Not for me.

Yea , if you look at it as a robot eye , well what next , instead of eating we'll get our stomach's taken out and put a battery in and we'll get robat limbs because they are much stronger and robotic eyes can see much more , and the next thing you are a T1000 , so they can program you then to do whatever they want and then you are a slave ,belonging to them - the slave-masters !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭M@21

From a CT point of view.
    I'm sure it would be just the same as being able to track mobile phones except this device would offer more information to the end user.
    Being able to determine where other people were would depend on them having identifiable tags on their person for it to work properly, unless you got a good view of their face from the device which should be able to pick up more info.
    So if you have your photo anywhere on the web, theoretically this device should be able to identify you with that photo (depending on the software used).
    If you were in any way paranoid about people knowing where you were then this personal cctv device could pick you out from a crowd.
    I'm sure the police departments are interested in the potential of this device.

It would not be first on my shopping list if it came on the general market, it's bad enough being contactable by mobile phone never mind strangers being able to identify you.
    Can you imagine all the spam you would soon get from complete strangers on the street from using this device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

espinolman wrote: »
    Yea , if you look at it as a robot eye , well what next , instead of eating we'll get our stomach's taken out and put a battery in and we'll get robat limbs because they are much stronger and robotic eyes can see much more , and the next thing you are a T1000 , so they can program you then to do whatever they want and then you are a slave ,belonging to them - the slave-masters !

:) we wiil all be robots remotely controlled, push a button and its game over thanks but no thanks.

Advertisement