Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is "Erin irish moss peat" ericaceous

Options
  • 21-05-2009 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

does any one know of "Erin Irish moss peat" ericaceous compost or is it for lime loving plants?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

It's ericaceous - there should be a panel on the pack that tell you the pH level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Minder wrote: »
    It's ericaceous - there should be a panel on the pack that tell you the pH level.

I do not have the pack to look at.

is there a web site that gives details about the product ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

why not buy some that is and get rid of the guess work.

old boy wrote: »
    why not buy some that is and get rid of the guess work.
    I already have some.

The "Erin irish moss peat" is already in the ground around a plant at needs ericaceous soil.

Iirc Shamrock peat moss has a pH of about 4.4. I assume all peat products are acidic making them suitable for ericaceous plants. A soil pH testing kit will tell you. Or look for Erin peat moss (Is it still available?) at the garden centre and see if the pH is listed on the pack.

• Advertisement

Iirc Shamrock peat moss has a pH of about 4.4. I assume all peat products are acidic making them suitable for ericaceous plants. A soil pH testing kit will tell you. Or look for Erin peat moss (Is it still available?) at the garden centre and see if the pH is listed on the pack.

most peat based composts have lime added and are not suitable for ericaceous plants.

I do not have access to the soil to test it. if I had I would not be asking Is "Erin irish moss peat" ericaceous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

?

You said the moss peat is already in the ground around the plant that needs acidic soil.

So go and take a sample of the ground around the plant that needs acidic soil, and use a soil testing kit to find out if it's acidic.

Erin sells a specific ericaceous product, so I would predict its moss peat is probably a moss peat based compost that's been treated to adjust the PH for general garden use.

Sounds to me like you have already answered your own question - If it is plain peat moss it will be acidic, if it is a compost product it will have added lime to adjust the acidity.

Sounds to me like you have already answered your own question - If it is plain peat moss it will be acidic, if it is a compost product it will have added lime to adjust the acidity.

Which is it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Belfast:

We don't know what specific brand of peat moss is in the ground around your plant.

Take a soil sample. Test it.

Do not come back on this thread and ask the same question when you've been given a pile of information and suggestions on how to answer this question already.

Infracted for acting the prat.

Advertisement