Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico cancelling my subscription

Options
  • 21-05-2009 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hi all,

I could really do with some advice. I have had uninterupted broadband with Perlico for about six months and then on the 9th of March it cut off. Countless and I mean countless phone calls later, no ressurection of service and they told me as of last week that they cannot supply me with broadband and want to cut my service. They have been absolutely no help and have caused severe hassle with me having to work extra hours practically every day to make up for what I can't do at home.

Can anybody tell me where I stand with them, all I want is my broadband back. How can I have a perfect service and then in an instant nothing, there was no interference when the line was working. They are saying (only in the last two weeks) that the line from the exchange to my house is the problem, but the way they have been passing the buck I don't know whether to believe them or not.

So I got in contact with Eircom and wanted to know if I could go back to them if they can supply broadband and they say my line is suitable but no guarantee or check on it until I sign up.

I live in a rural area (two miles from local exchange).

Any help with this problem would be gratefully recieved.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sounds like your line is a "long line" and as such basically has a 50/50 chance of getting ADSL, I have heard some resellers don't like taking on these lines as the chances of connectivity problems on long lines is pretty high.

As the chances are high it could lead to a bad customer experience so some ISP's prefer not to place orders on such lines in the first place, to be honest you will likely not get Perlico to place an order for you.

Your best bet is sadly Eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Ironman Collie

Hi Cabaal,

Thanks for your reply however I don't know what you mean about Perlico "placing an order for me." I have been a customer of Perlico for the last 8 months or so and they were before the problem providing me with a good service. Can a line just disintegrate (quality wise) instantly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hi Cabaal,

Thanks for your reply however I don't know what you mean about Perlico "placing an order for me." I have been a customer of Perlico for the last 8 months or so and they were before the problem providing me with a good service. Can a line just disintegrate (quality wise) instantly.

It sounds like perhaps they thought a working service could not be supplied to your premises and as such ceased/canceled it.....of course there's no way of knowing for sure what the cause is but thats my guess.

Now they have to place a new order which would then goto Eircom Wholsale's arm, however it would appear that Perlico's ordering system is flagging your line as unable to support ADSL.

Lines like yours according to eircom's systems may require a engineer visit so there is no way to say if the line can support a working ADSL service before hand both according to perlico and eircom....they will ignore the fact it may have worked before.

Your best bet if you want to stay with Perlico is lodge a formal complaint with them through their complaints procedure, explain you understand what a poor quality line is and you will take the chance to see if it works after they place the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 brianw26

were allowed up to 35gb of download a month and because we went just to 39gb they charged us E30 which is the full rate to get broadband in the first place.they should be a bit reasonable and charge maybe a euro or something for every gb over but its redicuoulous for the extra big charge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I worked with Perlico BB support for a year and unfortunately as resellers they are completely at the mercy of Eircom. It is certainly possible for a line, port or exchange to deteriorate in operation but if it could support it once it should be able to again. If you're talking about where you stand, as bad as Perlico are they WANT to supply you with BB but as a reseller their hands are tied. That being said as a seperate entity they no longer exist and your account is technically with Vodafone Ireland now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

a bit off topic(opposite to the op's issue in that i cant get perlico to cancel) but i am trying to cancel the perlico account of a deceased person and rang them up to do this well over a month ago,

they said they wanted a copy of death cert so i popped this off in the post but almost two months later they are still billing for the service! i would not recommend them for any service as they would rob the dead for a few euros!

In my experience things have a habit of getting lost on desks. Your best option is to contact Credit Control and request to speak to <SNIP>. She is all about the customer and I guarantee she will solve the issue.

Unfortunately she 'may' request a copy of the cert to be resent. While this can be pain once you're dealing with <SNIP> she will make sure it's your last stop and will organise cesation of bills including writeoff of any outstanding charges...let me know how you fare...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Perlico are dire and particularly so when anything goes wrong. I don't always buy the 'it's Eircom's fault' story either. Time and time again I've heard resellers blame Eircom and it turns out to be their fault.

Bite the bullet and go back to Eircom and while you're at it, sign up to a business package if you need it for work. Don't be dicking around with home packages if the connection is important to you.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Perlico are dire and particularly so when anything goes wrong. I don't always buy the 'it's Eircom's fault' story either. Time and time again I've heard resellers blame Eircom and it turns out to be their fault.

Bite the bullet and go back to Eircom and while you're at it, sign up to a business package if you need it for work. Don't be dicking around with home packages if the connection is important to you.

Nobody is asking you to buy anything, but the simple fact of the matter is that if a reseller can't give you a particular service neither can Eircom since it is they who return the DSL tests positive or negative, the lines belong to Eircom. Unless you think Perlico/Vodafone Ireland intentionally turn away business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

This thread seems to have forgotten that there was uninterrupted service for 6 months and then nothing.

Perlico now want to get out of the contract.

Why? I have no idea but am hopeful someone will give at least a guess.

Maybe as one poster says it is a paperwork mix-up and the line has been flagged as not useable ........

• Advertisement

MyKeyG, not a good idea to post someones name like that and it's against the rules here so a quick edit of post #8 is in order.
    MyKeyG wrote:
    Nobody is asking you to buy anything, but the simple fact of the matter is that if a reseller can't give you a particular service neither can Eircom since it is they who return the DSL tests positive or negative, the lines belong to Eircom. Unless you think Perlico/Vodafone Ireland intentionally turn away business.

I deal with BB faults for customers all the time and have dealt with tech support from most isp's. Now I'm not saying that Eircom are never at fault but more often than not it's the isp's problem...and usually something clerical rather than technical.

This thread seems to have forgotten that there was uninterrupted service for 6 months and then nothing.

Maybe as one poster says it is a paperwork mix-up and the line has been flagged as not useable ........

Ok obviously the opinion of a former BB support worker isn't required. But excusing your ignorance there is no such thing as paperwork. The service failed for a reason and for the same reason it can't be reactivated. The lines are tested by Eircom. Now try to get your head around the fact that Perlico DO NOT EXIST!!! They belong to Vodafone who I'm sure you'll agree are far bigger than 'lets sell up again' Eircom.
    Your interpretation of business is truly dazzling...

I deal with BB faults for customers all the time and have dealt with tech support from most isp's. Now I'm not saying that Eircom are never at fault but more often than not it's the isp's problem...and usually something clerical rather than technical.
    Yes the OP service failed because of paperwork...listen to what you're saying. You people are accusing Perlico/VF of trying to throw away business.

MyKeyG, not a good idea to post someones name like that and it's against the rules
    Please don't try to be too anal.

MyKeyG wrote: »

Hah. I'm glad to see you're a former support worker. Nice attitude.

Anywho, post #8 reported for posting personal details.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Hah. I'm glad to see you're a former support worker. Nice attitude.

Anywho, post #8 reported for posting personal details.

Well it could be argued I don't perform that role on Boards.ie, what d'ya think? Maybe? As it turns out I joined the Finance team and am a few exams away from being a fully qualified accountant. How are you getting on? Oh you told on me, well done, what a big boy although what personal details you claim I mentioned are beyond me.

MyKeyG wrote: »

Nobody is being anal, the charter states not to post personal details pertaining to staff of company's...obviously with all your education you've read it and understood it.....right?

You now got yourself banned for three weeks for breach of charter and personal abuse,

By the way if you are claiming to be a Perlico employee I'm more then happy to look into this and confirm it with higher up's,
    Of course if your not an employee or you are a employee posting without permission from Perlico I'll also be more then happy to ban you for far longer then three weeks....Your call if you want me to look into your claim further? :)

Don't be so quick to jump down people's throats in future with what you believe to be smart arse replys.

I hope to god your not a Perlico employee for their sake because if I employed you and you posted in a public forum with a smart arse reply and also confirming your a employee I'd be having some very strong words with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

brianw26 wrote: »
    were allowed up to 35gb of download a month and because we went just to 39gb they charged us E30 which is the full rate to get broadband in the first place.they should be a bit reasonable and charge maybe a euro or something for every gb over but its redicuoulous for the extra big charge
    See what mobile data package costs if you go over cap by 4G.
    Could be a bill for 1000Euro

brianw26 wrote: »

This charge is clearly outlined on Perlico's website and infact Eircom also state they'll charge as well, the fact Perlico choose to charge is upto them.

Bottom line is if you don;t like the charges then don't go over the set cap.

Based on the info the OP provided I'm betting the problem is linked to what I've outlined in my first two posts.

They are likely not going to get anywhere with front line support, formal complaint is their best route on this.

Easiest way to confirm if its Perlico's systems at fault is input the telephone line number into the eircom checker, if it passes then Perlico are incorrectly flagging the line for non-ADSL provision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Cabaal wrote: »
    Based on the info the OP provided I'm betting the problem is linked to what I've outlined in my first two posts.

They are likely not going to get anywhere with front line support, formal complaint is their best route on this.

Easiest way to confirm if its Perlico's systems at fault is input the telephone line number into the eircom checker, if it passes then Perlico are incorrectly flagging the line for non-ADSL provision.

It is so strange a situation though to have a working line cut off suddenly that it appears to be some sort of admin error someplace.
    I would imagine if the fault was at Eircom's end ... some detrimental change to that line or decision by Eircom .... that Perlico would have so informed the customer and laid the blame at Eircom's door. An Eircom line-check might indeed give some indication.
    It is odd IMO to have service withdrawn in such a manner as described, and if it was me I would most definitely be taking it to a higher level as you suggested.

regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Hi all,

I could really do with some advice. I have had uninterupted broadband with Perlico for about six months and then on the 9th of March it cut off. Countless and I mean countless phone calls later, no ressurection of service and they told me as of last week that they cannot supply me with broadband and want to cut my service. They have been absolutely no help and have caused severe hassle with me having to work extra hours practically every day to make up for what I can't do at home.

Can anybody tell me where I stand with them, all I want is my broadband back. How can I have a perfect service and then in an instant nothing, there was no interference when the line was working. They are saying (only in the last two weeks) that the line from the exchange to my house is the problem, but the way they have been passing the buck I don't know whether to believe them or not.

So I got in contact with Eircom and wanted to know if I could go back to them if they can supply broadband and they say my line is suitable but no guarantee or check on it until I sign up.

I live in a rural area (two miles from local exchange).

Any help with this problem would be gratefully recieved.

Hi There

The reason why perlico are saying that they can't provide you wih bb anymore could be mainly for two reasons, either there is a fault on the telephone line and they can't get Eircom to fix and that's causing your bb not to work (most common cause) or your line path has changed and now you are beyond limits (rare case but possible). Sometimes if you are on a long line (what Eircom call non standard delivery) with time your line can degrade down to a point where it becomes unusable, but as now ISPs have the possibility of downgrading lines to as low as 160 kbps I doubt that's the case as I am sure they would've tried this already.

If the problem is the first case (a line/port problem) you can try going back to Perlico and escalate this, unfortunately, but the looks of it Perlico has already given up on you so I dont think there is much hope..

Moving to Eircom could be a quick solution but still does not guarantee you will get your bb back.

Advertisement