Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spainish Arch blah blah young blah drink blah city dump blah councillor says blah

Options
  • 21-05-2009 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

Predicted headline of sentinel/indepentent/etc etc at some stage over the VOR

So with the increase of people to the city for this event and "maybe" the weather changing. Will the city fathers have a plan set in place for the level of binge/street drinking that will arise or will all the organisers good work in promoting the city to all the visitors be lying in a heap along with the empty cans and bottles.
    I hope they have as maybe bins provide as they do flowerpots as if not the bag of empty cans placed in it will surely not heighten the effect.

Maybe if a sitting councillor happens to knock on your door this week u might just remind him/ her of this.

Also wondering if the motorboat racing john cleary posted about awhile back is going ahead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I foresee a press release from a certain Cllr Crowe moaning about young people drinking in public, terrorising residents, leaving litter, blah blah blah... :rolleyes:

They knew there's probably going to be hundreds and hundreds of people at the Spanish Arch. They know the weather may be nice, and they know people will be drinking.

and you know for damn sure that Galway City Council STILL wont be ready for it. If the Volvo Ocean Race is going to be what people say it is, then it's going to be much, much, much worse than Paddys Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

THe CHief Super admitted himself at the Joint Policing Commission meeting earlier this month that they didn't have the resources to police the Spannie without causing a riot.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

soundbyte wrote: »
    THe CHief Super admitted himself at the Joint Policing Commission meeting earlier this month that they didn't have the resources to police the Spannie without causing a riot.
    We need Bunny Colvin and Hamsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

soundbyte wrote: »

Resources? How much can one water canon cost? (OK we'll have to fork out for the shampoo canon as it is custom made).

Blah gardaí blah drinking blah council blah spoiling fun blah djembe Dutch Gold blah my rights blah crusties unite blah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

They knew there's probably going to be hundreds and hundreds of people at the Spanish Arch. They know the weather may be nice, and they know people will be drinking.

and you know for damn sure that Galway City Council STILL wont be ready for it. If the Volvo Ocean Race is going to be what people say it is, then it's going to be much, much, much worse than Paddys Day.

I think someone posted a picture of a rather large additional bin that has been installed in the Spanish Arch area. Hopefully this will help reduce litter around the area.

They should get those portable urinal things they have in Central Manchester and near Old Trafford. Not to be confused with port-o-loos. Have a few of them around the place and it would reduce the number of people pissing on doorsteps, flowerpots, etc.
    gary82 wrote:
    Also they've upgraded the bin situation over at the Spanish Arch - smart move, hope it stays for the Summer.
    bins.jpg

220px-Portable-toilet-Netherlands.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Robbo wrote: »
    We need Bunny Colvin and Hamsterdam.

Or Brother Muzone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

KevR wrote: »
    I think someone posted a picture of a rather large additional bin that has been installed in the Spanish Arch area. Hopefully this will help reduce litter around the area.

Not just the one - there's about four of them!

They should get those portable urinal things they have in Central Manchester and near Old Trafford. Not to be confused with port-o-loos. Have a few of them around the place and it would reduce the number of people pissing on doorsteps, flowerpots, etc.

220px-Portable-toilet-Netherlands.jpg

But would it be enough though? Surely at least two or three of these would be needed. I'm only saying because of the level of litter left post-Paddys Day. Have they provided port-a-loos. Even ones that you have to pay for.

Are they going to set up a system on quay street and cross street etc like the races I wonder? i.e no bringing your own drink in, Front door etc having the bar open onto the street etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

But would it be enough though? Surely at least two or three of these would be needed. I'm only saying because of the level of litter left post-Paddys Day. Have they provided port-a-loos. Even ones that you have to pay for.

If it were me making the decisions I'd have 2 or 3 of these in the Spanish Arch area, a few around the Docks area and a couple up in Eyre Square (where there are also those permanent pay public toilets). They have these dotted around Central Manchester and it almost eliminates people pissing in doorways and the like after nights out. They also have them near Old Trafford so football and cricket goers can relieve themselves without going in someone's garden or doorstep.

Plenty of additional bins which are emptied regularly along with the existing ones would be good also.

If it were me making the decisions I'd have 2 or 3 of these in the Spanish Arch area
    But would it be enough though? Surely at least two or three of these would be needed. I'm only saying because of the level of litter left post-Paddys Day.

As I said above, there's about 4 (maybe 3) of them on the Spanish Arch, one across the river on the walkway too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

gary82 wrote: »
    As I said above, there's about 4 (maybe 3) of them on the Spanish Arch, one across the river on the walkway too.

WHAT?! WHERE?

jenno86 wrote: »
    WHAT?! WHERE?

OK had a walk through this evening and there's two there! :o And a third just across the water at the entrance to the walkway.

When I saw them first they had four another two on the back of a truck so thought they were all going in there... must be somewhere else!

Can females use them?!

The three bins? Yes, I'm sure they can... and they may.

bins.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

jenno86 wrote: »
    Can females use them?!

Good point :P

There should be a few machines scatted around dispensing these then! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

foxy posted a pic of a load of HB bin's being prepared at the Docks - So I reckon the Docks will have enough bins scattered around the place (will be handy for the concert as people will have their own drink i'm sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

axiom32 wrote: »
    Also wondering if the motorboat racing john cleary posted about awhile back is going ahead

Eh? Think John Cleary was talking about doing some motorboating down at the docks not motorboat racing!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

With support from the ISA, powerboat racing in Ireland has taken a huge leap forward this year, with almost 10 events spread accross the country. It is a vision of mine to bring one of these events to Galway in 2010. However, there's politics with everything. If I was to hold an event i'd make sure it was a proper one, not just racing but also lots of 'off the water' activities such as concerts, things for kids etc. etc.

The ISA handle the racing (ie. regulation etc.) and I have someone to organise the 'off the water' events... the only thing i'm having trouble is getting these people to work with each other - If I can manage that, then we'll have a spectacular event in 2010/2011 in Galway ;)

• Advertisement

gary82 wrote: »
    The three bins? Yes, I'm sure they can... and they may.[/IMG]

You quoted somebody that was talking about the urinals, so I assumed I was talking about that.

Advertisement