Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Rasberries are taking over

Options
  • 21-05-2009 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

When I planted the raspberry bush 2 years ago it was small and we got a few berries off it.

Last Year it Quadrupeled in size and we got very little fruit.

So in March this year I dug as much up as I could, But now she is spreading every where

The Shoots are spread randomly over about 4m²
    I'm really starting to panic now with the rain last week
    So
    Does anyone know of a product I can use to kill this plant or Do I have to dig up that area of Soil.

Some runners are in my Veg patch which is close by
    Any Help would be appreciated

Decis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Decis wrote: »
    When I planted the raspberry bush 2 years ago it was small and we got a few berries off it.

So in March this year I dug as much up as I could, But now she is spreading every where

So
    Does anyone know of a product I can use to kill this plant or Do I have to dig up that area of Soil.

Decis

my Rasberries are spreading like that 2.
    I have had them for 5 years as long as you cut back the new shoot they are ok.

Digging them out and putting them on a large pot would confine them.

Q: We had two raspberry plants in our small backyard. We decided to remove them and replant with strawberries. Now we have multiple raspberry runners coming up all over the place. We are using Roundup to control the spread. Is there any way to kill all the raspberries or do we have to write off this growing season and use a soil sterilizer? (e-mail reference)

A: You have been hit with “raspberry surprise”! These plants actually are weeds, but we have fallen in love with their fruit, so control them like weeds. The persistent application of Roundup to the foliage and digging out of any little sprouts eventually will do the job! Hang in there.

more details in the link below

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortiscope/fruitveg/rspberry.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Decis

Cheers for that info
    Is round up safe for my Veg Patch and Toddler?
    I'm a bit nervous of these products

Decis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Cheers for that info
    Is round up safe for my Veg Patch and Toddler?
    I'm a bit nervous of these products

Decis

I would not

but I am in to organic gardening.

digging them out will get them too. more work

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

So

Decis

how and at what time of year did you prune ?

Advertisement