Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Draft 09

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Patty Mills is arguably one of the bigger sleepers in this draft. He reminds me a lot of Tony Parker. A late first rounder who turns into a stud. He might have gone to St.Mary's, but he's already played on the biggest stage in the Olympics. One NBA scout said Mills was: “Quickest player we’ve seen since the young Allen Iverson.” That's high praise right there.
    He's a big-game monster. Mills was embarrassing Gonzaga until he broke his hand. He out-magicianed Stephen Curry. At the Olympics, Mills lit up a defense-crazed USA team for 20 points. Playing at warp speed against Kobe Bryant and Jason Kidd, Mills had zero turnovers.

Mills, who with his Aussie accent, is more charming that the Geico lizard, tells of checking into that game. The USA players had been warned about Mills, and they hit him with some vicious trash talk.

LeBron James yelled to teammates, “I’ve got him, boys, don’t worry about it.”

Mills: “And I looked at him and just sort of saw him staring straight at me. I’ll never forget that look. I really didn’t know what to think. I definitely wasn’t thinking ‘Attack,’ but I wasn’t taking a backwards step.”

Two plays later Mills was pushing the ball on the break, James closed out on him hard at the three-point arc and plastered a hand in Mills’ face, blotting out the sun as Mills shot.

Swish

I've also seen Dionte Christmas play a few times and he reminds me a lot of Courtney Lee. Both are just terrific, versatile scorers. Both just floated under the radar---under-recruited going into college. Christmas is probably less athletic than Lee, but he can get to where he wants to on the floor and will hold his own on defense

Both two sleepers worth watching out for in this years draft

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

clippers have said they are def picking griffin no1

interesting to see where tyler handsbrough, stephen curry, hashem thabeet, ricky rubio, dante cuningham all end up..

i think this is a pretty weak draft class to previous years..

Rubio could pull a Steve Francis move:pac:
    From what people around the league are saying, Rubio’s camp may already be sending out feelers indicating that he’s not interested in the least bit in playing in Memphis.

“Rubio doesn’t want to go to Memphis, and he especially does not want to pay money out of his own pocket with that huge buyout for the honor of doing so. Fegan [Rubio’s agent] wants him in L.A., and if he can’t have him there, he wants him in Sacramento. Definitely not Oklahoma City. “

I'm not buying this. I think Rubio's agent Fegan is playing mind games. He tried the same thing with Larry Harris in Milwaukee. He told him Yi Jianlian didn't want to go to Milwaukee but wanted to go to Golden State or somewhere with an Asian population. Larry Harris drafted him anyways and Yi still came over eventually.

I don't think Ricky Rubio personally has a problem playing with Marc Gasol in Memphis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Definitely not the best draft class. Griffin is an impressive athlete; but i can't see him becoming a truly dominant player. Could be very useful, though.
    Ricky Rubio and Stephen Curry are intriguing. Wouldn't be surprised if both turned out to be busts. Also wouldn't be surprised if either or both turn out to be great players.
    It will be interesting to see how their skills translate to todays NBA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Clippers will take Griffin although I would not be too surprised if they traded for him and took Rubio, I read that Davis might be on his way out.

Rubio looks like the real deal in my opinion, he is getting high praise and if he was American he would probably be held as the Messiah.

Memphis seem keen on Theebet which would open the way for Rubio to head to the Thunder. They would have a very nice team then.

Curry looks like he would be the perfect fit for New York and their style.

My team, The Warriors look like they could be heading towards Jennings, which would be ok in my opinion, I think being in Italy would have served him well even f he did set it alight. Evans is also being mentioned but I think they will have make some trades if they bring in a SG. The whole team needs a overhaul in my opinion, PG and big man, lots of trades will be made this year, Heinrich and Miller will be available, Kirelenko would be a great player to get also.

I expect a lot of wheeling and dealing.

Mills looks like an interesting dark horse by the sounds of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,176 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Would be interesting to see Oklahoma get Thabeet and Hansborough... maybe move Durant to SG a bit more and give Krystic a chance at power forward. Hansborough is completely underrated by NBA teams imo.

My team, The Warriors look like they could be heading towards Jennings, which would be ok in my opinion, I think being in Italy would have served him well even f he did set it alight. Evans is also being mentioned but I think they will have make some trades if they bring in a SG. The whole team needs a overhaul in my opinion, PG and big man, lots of trades will be made this year, Heinrich and Miller will be available, Kirelenko would be a great player to get also.

I don't think either Jennings and Evans will be available at seven even though I'm a big fan of Evans (best pure shooter in this draft and reminds me a lot of a young Penny Hardaway.)

I hope we pick Jrue Holiday. Unlike Jennings he has the body, frame and skills to be a elite Defender and as the Houston Rockets proved this year the likes of Louis Scola Aaron Brooks, and Shane Battier can get you pretty far with Defense. Holiday isn't flashy but he's smart and this is probably a stretch but physically he compares with Brandon Roy. A guy who isn't a freak athlete but gets it done. For comparison: Brandon Roy had an even less spectacular freshman year than Jrue Holiday

I would love for some way to dump Crawford, Maggette and Jacksons inexcusably bad contracts but sadly that might not happen:(

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Xrox

ascanbe wrote: »
    Definitely not the best draft class. Griffin is an impressive athlete; but i can't see him becoming a truly dominant player. Could be very useful, though.
    Ricky Rubio and Stephen Curry are intriguing. Wouldn't be surprised if both turned out to be busts. Also wouldn't be surprised if either or both turn out to be great players.
    It will be interesting to see how their skills translate to todays NBA.

Griffin is a beast yes and he has the chance to be as good as the Mailman at the very least just needs to be paired up with a great point gaurd like curry or rubio someone who can play off him bringing back the years of the Jazz type pick and roll.

It was great watching Jackson's Triangle offence with the bulls (now being used by the lakers) going against the pick and roll of the jazz. Hopefully if the clippers dont screw things up as usual this type of rivalary will be ignited in one city under the same roof of the stable centre

Liam O wrote: »
    . Hansborough is completely underrated by NBA teams imo.

I'm usually allergic to white guy Power Forwards who are athletically pedestrian, but I kinda like Hansbrough. Not to be a starter in the league or to be a lottery pick or anything, but I think he could be a bench contributor on a contender. He just has an unbelievable motor and love for the game, and isn't completely unskilled like Mark Madsen.

Sea Devils wrote: »
    I don't think either Jennings and Evans will be available at seven even though I'm a big fan of Evans (best pure shooter in this draft and reminds me a lot of a young Penny Hardaway.)

I hope we pick Jrue Holiday. Unlike Jennings he has the body, frame and skills to be a elite Defender and as the Houston Rockets proved this year the likes of Louis Scola Aaron Brooks, and Shane Battier can get you pretty far with Defense. Holiday isn't flashy but he's smart and this is probably a stretch but physically he compares with Brandon Roy. A guy who isn't a freak athlete but gets it done. For comparison: Brandon Roy had an even less spectacular freshman year than Jrue Holiday

I would love for some way to dump Crawford, Maggette and Jacksons inexcusably bad contracts but sadly that might not happen:(

Yea, it might not materialize that they will pick up Jennings or Evans but I wouldn't totally count it out, will get a pretty decent player at seven anyway and they could move up or down depending on trades.

I totally agree about Crawford, Maggette and Jackson but who is going to take them ????
    There are some quality players out there that we could potentially get, I would like to see them get Gortat maybe as a big man, Boozer is also available but would cost too much, depending on draft then, players like Miller and Heinrich would be good.

On Hansbrough, I do actually like him but he really is stuck in between positions, i do think he can contribute to a team, he is a competitor and winner at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

Well there were rumours this year about the Clippers taking back Maggette for Baron not sure how accurate this was but it was out there. Even if we get rid of one of those three bad contracts already it will have been a more successful offseason then last years

As for getting Kirilenko Tim K (yes he is a tool but he's right on this one) pointed out correctly that Don Nelson would never play Randolph, Kirilenko, and Biedrins together at the same time.

So AK-47 would probably mean that Randolph rarely sees the court in a Nellie offense :mad:

I'm usually allergic to white guy Power Forwards who are athletically pedestrian, but I kinda like Hansbrough. Not to be a starter in the league or to be a lottery pick or anything, but I think he could be a bench contributor on a contender. He just has an unbelievable motor and love for the game, and isn't completely unskilled like Mark Madsen.

Psycho T is a great player i really like his fight and heart but im afraid he may just become the next JJ Redick unfortunately

Xrox wrote: »
    Psycho T is a great player i really like his fight and heart but im afraid he may just become the next JJ Redick unfortunately

Redick was one of the most over hyped players ever, don't know what people expected from him. In fairness to him now, he seems to be well coached and can hit the three, hard working honest player that is not up to much otherwise.

As for Warriors, only players I would keep are Monte and Randolph to be honest, rest are just meh, Turiaf too for sheer entertainment :D

Reddicks hype came from what he did in the NCAA and yes he rocked that league but unfortunately the NBA is a completely different type of ball more individual and less team oriented.

This is why he didnt succeed and unfortunately unless Psycho T finds a crazy cross over, a killer three or he grows 6 inches i think he will go the way of reddick.

nah, I think Hansborough's ability to hit the shot after contact and his will to score will make him a very good role player/6th man

Loads of question marks about Brandon Jennings
    I'm not sure how you take a kid without a real body of work that high," one NBA GM in Treviso said. "I know this is a weak draft, but are we really taking kids who have struggled to produce in college or Europe in the lottery? I'm all for upside, but it's ridiculous. If Jennings can't get on the floor in Italy, how does he help my team in the next couple of years? How do you take him over some really talented college kids who have proven they can play? Jonny Flynn, Ty Lawson, Steph Curry. Those guys are talented too and they have track records

And yet most NBA draft scouts don't think his stock has fallen at all despite his mediocre stats in the Euroleague. In fact, many of them have been quoted as being impressed by his maturity and growth from being a flashy streetballer. One of the knocks on him was his character, attitude, and maturity level. But he seems to have grown past that childish stage. He even donated $50,000 to victims of earthquakes in Italy. That's no small cash for a 19 year old.

Sometimes his Euro stats and the Telfair comparisons scare me away, but then I remember watching him in awe at the McDonalds game last year

Looking forward to see what impact DeMar DeRozan will have in the NBA. He could be a major star, comparisons are being made with Lebron although he obviously wont reach those levels. Some of his moves in these games are very Lebron like. also love how there's gangsta rap in every video just because he comes from Compton :D

would like to see him go between 5 and 7 because the Kings are a deathtrap and I can't see him breaking the top 3.

A rumour floating around that the Celtics will try and trade Ray Allen to Washington for the 5th pick and try get Tryeke Evans.

Not sure about it from Washington's perspective but for the Celtics Evans is a stud and a Rondo-Evans backcourt would be excellent defensively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

A rumour floating around that the Celtics will try and trade Ray Allen to Washington for the 5th pick and try get Tryeke Evans.

Not sure about it from Washington's perspective but for the Celtics Evans is a stud and a Rondo-Evans backcourt would be excellent defensively.

Ya I saw that too. If its true as a Celtics fan I dont know about it. If they do it Evans better make an immediate impact . If he needs a year or two to develop, which may be the case as he is a one and done college guy, then they are probably sacrificing the chance to win another title with KG and Pierce. Evans is not a consistent shooter from three point range and Rondo is not a long range guy. That means shrinking the floor making it easier for teams to double up on Garnett or Pierce. Plus what does trading Allen say to those two about possible rebuilding? Something they more than likely want no part of considering their age.

But on the other hand like you say Rondo and Evans (assuming he not a bust) would provide a great base to build another championship team. Maybe Ainge is assuming Cleveland will do what it takes to get over the hump and that the Celtics aren't going to get it done next year with Allen. They arent getting this for Allen next year. I read the Wizards were throwing some expiring contracts into the deal also. That money could be used as trade bait during the year and the cash they would shed form shipping Allen could be used to sign free agents. Possibly Ariza? He would replace some of that three point shooting and hes an excellent defender. Of course that depends on if the Lakers are able to resign him and if the Celtics can even afford him.

Boston have alot of things to think about with this one. Personally I dont think they should do it. Too may if but and maybes.

There was another rumour earlier that the Celtics would trade Rondo to Memphis for the #2 pick and get Rubio but that makes no sense at all to me, Trading Allen for a Top 5-10 pick is an interesting proposition. It probably closes their championship window, but it helps them build for long term success. If they trade Allen, they should go all out and try to move KG & Pierce too while they still have value.

Personally, I'd agree with you. I think they should try to make one more run at a title next year. They still have the talent to do it, and those opportunities are too precious to pass up.

• Advertisement

Saw the Memphis rumor aswell. I dont get it either! trade Rondo who is getting better and better for someone who is unproven? I love Rubio I think he could be great but there aint no guarantees.

Ya if they trade Allen the window probably is closed. It would be a real stomach punch to the fans having to wait 22 years for a championship team and then rebuilding again after only two years!

I can't remember so much uncertainty at the top of a draft. After Griffin, it's a total crapshoot. Especially now that Thabeet didn't work out for Memphis.

Well I can't see anyone but Rubio at 2, he's younger than everyone and more talented (arguably more talent than Griffin just without the monster body). He is too good to pass up, even if they plan on trading him.

Also what a good young backcourt they'd have with Rubio and Mayo. Add Gasol and Rudy Gay to that and they have a strong young team. They also have Darko Milicic who's better than Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh ;)

Well I can't see anyone but Rubio at 2, he's younger than everyone and more talented (arguably more talent than Griffin just without the monster body). He is too good to pass up, even if they plan on trading him.

Also what a good young backcourt they'd have with Rubio and Mayo. Add Gasol and Rudy Gay to that and they have a strong young team. They also have Darko Milicic who's better than Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh ;)

Dont forget Carmelo!! I dont think Memphis will take Rubio for any other reason than to trade him. I agree with you hes an unbelievealbe talent, the problem is Memphis! nobody wants any part of them. and considering the way Rubio's people want to control where he ends up he probably wont sign there.

More Celtics trade rumors, Rajon Rondo and Ray Allen to the Pistons for Richard Hamilton, Rodney Stuckey and Tayshaun Prince. The Pistons shot it down.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4281291

Both teams won in that trade. Great trade for the Bucks in dumping RJ's contract. Great trade for the Spurs in trading for another scorer.

Hynzie wrote: »
    Dont forget Carmelo!! I dont think Memphis will take Rubio for any other reason than to trade him. I agree with you hes an unbelievealbe talent, the problem is Memphis! nobody wants any part of them. and considering the way Rubio's people want to control where he ends up he probably wont sign there.

More Celtics trade rumors, Rajon Rondo and Ray Allen to the Pistons for Richard Hamilton, Rodney Stuckey and Tayshaun Prince. The Pistons shot it down.

saw that trade, would be an idiotic trade for the Pistons to accept. Yeah they get Rondo, who's fantastic but to lose Stuckey (who could be as good as Rondo in 1 or 2 years), Hamilton and Prince would cripple them defensively and on offense. Allen wont be around for much longer. Doesn't matter anyway because the Pistons aren't that stupid.

I haven't heard about Rubio's people, but then again I haven't really been looking. Care to fill me in? Do they want him to go to a big city? I wonder what'd happen if they passed on him. Would the Thunder still go for Thabeet or get Rubio who they don't need as much?

saw that trade, would be an idiotic trade for the Pistons to accept. Yeah they get Rondo, who's fantastic but to lose Stuckey (who could be as good as Rondo in 1 or 2 years), Hamilton and Prince would cripple them defensively and on offense. Allen wont be around for much longer. Doesn't matter anyway because the Pistons aren't that stupid.

I haven't heard about Rubio's people, but then again I haven't really been looking. Care to fill me in? Do they want him to go to a big city? I wonder what'd happen if they passed on him. Would the Thunder still go for Thabeet or get Rubio who they don't need as much?

Ya the only reason the pistons might have done it is to shed cash for 2010 but I dont think they could have another bad year, which would probably happen, the way that City is suffering economically right now.

His people want him to go to a good situation for him. Memphis is viewed by many as basketball hell plus they've had some issues with Spanish players. Marc Gasol is doing ok there but Pau Gasol was apparently disgruntled before being traded to the Lakers. Also Juan Carlos Navarro came from europe played one season for Memphis and when straight back to europe! His people have some leeway because he could refuse to sign for a team and go play in europe for another year and re enter the draft next year. Like what Bo Jackson did in football in the eighties.

I think if hes there for the Thunder they gota take him. Man could you imagine a core group of Rubio, Westbrook, Durant and Green? Thats quiet the team!

Another trade in the works, Timberwolves sending Randy Foye And Mike Miller to the Wizards for the 5th pick, Ethan Thomas, Oleksiy Pecherov and Darius Songaila.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4282279

yeah it would be a good backcourt but with only really Krystic as a decent big man with the undersized Green being forced to play the PF Thabeet may just be the guy that would solve more problems. Even if they got Rubio I could see them going looking for a big man (Tyson Chandler again?) in the off season

Just looking at that trade Miller was a disappointment his one year at tWolves, but they don't need another big and EThomas certainly won't be playing much with Big Al and Love ahead of him.

TWolves have to get a good PG with the 5th pick, they need that the most.

• Advertisement

Nice Gallery showing the different NBA Draft busts

Just thinking about it from being a Warriors fan I don't think there is nearly a Franchise that has drafted as badly as our Front Office has

Chris Washburn
    Clifford Rozier
    Joe Smith
    Todd Fuller
    Adonal Foyle
    Jeff Foster
    Mike Dunleavy Jr
    Ike Diogu
    Patrick O'Bryant

The Todd Fuller pick was the most painful. The 1996 draft rivalled the 1984 as the most talented Draft in NBA history but instead of drafting the likes of Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Peja Stojokavic, Jermaine O Neal or Ilgauskas we draft a guy who played exactly 2,500 minutes in his entire career and who's College GPA was higher then his career scoring average:o.

I'm looking forward to Thursday with a lot of trepidation especially now that it's transpiring that Jordan Hill could be the pick

Advertisement