Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema in the Crescent

Options
  • 21-05-2009 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Anyone been at the cinema in the crescent lately, i was there last weekend to see angels and demons. Theres a sign on the door going into the cinema saying that during the film the doors will be locked. i didn't take much notice of it until we were leaving and we had to wait for about five minutes when the film ended to be let out. Surely this is a health and safety issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Sounds like a loada crap. Why are they at this. What if I want to piss during the film?? I assume there's a fire override!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

They do have fire exits but surely people might need the toilet or wish more popcorn or similar halfway through the movie.

Im sure there is somebody there to unlock the door to let you out. Maybe they do not allow people to enter the cinema once the movie starts to stop upsetting people already watching it.

• Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I would have thought they couldn't lock the doors. What if someone needed medical assistance but couldn't get help because of the doors being locked??

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Went to see Star Trek and Wolverine there last week, Did not notice the signs,
    But was able to walk out the door to go to the loo, and visit the sweet counter when
    I wanted. I was in screen 1 at both times.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Jim05 wrote: »
    Anyone been at the cinema in the crescent lately, i was there last weekend to see angels and demons. Theres a sign on the door going into the cinema saying that during the film the doors will be locked. i didn't take much notice of it until we were leaving and we had to wait for about five minutes when the film ended to be let out. Surely this is a health and safety issue?

Do you mean the front doors to the building were locked. If so this has always been the case for films showing late. I am sure there is emergency doors there too if you need to get out in an emergency.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

h3000 wrote: »
    Do you mean the front doors to the building were locked. If so this has always been the case for films showing late. I am sure there is emergency doors there too if you need to get out in an emergency.

+1

i think thats what he meant alrite

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah I think so too. They lock the outer doors during the late show for security reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Jim05

no these were the inner doors going into screen 1. a lot of people nearby me were'nt too happy about it either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

there's a release button on the inside of the doors as far as i know so you press that to get out.. they have them so people can't sneak in i suppose..they're stupid though cause if you go to the toilet when the film is on you have to then get someone to open the door so you can get back in, what if its really busy and there's no one around, it doesn't make sense to me, if people are left waitig when they come back fro the toilet and are just waiting and missing the film they're gonna get pretty pissed off like..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Hmmm sounds interesting. Might start bringing my dates there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

bullets wrote: »
    Went to see Star Trek and Wolverine there last week, Did not notice the signs,
    But was able to walk out the door to go to the loo, and visit the sweet counter when
    I wanted. I was in screen 1 at both times.

~B

You went to see Star Trek and Wolverine - no wonder they're locking the fcuking doors :p

- I used to get most of a school day out of the Cinema on Bedford Row......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Went to see Star Trek there last Tuesday and there was no such restrictions. Screen 1 is great when there's only a handful of people in there, beats the hell out of going on a friday or saturday night and having to listen to a load of scobes on their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

they did have quite a problem with members of a cummunity screen hopping, or ordering tickets for a 12s then skipping into the 18s they were too young to see.

Havent gone there in time, couldnt stick the scum that descends on the place.

also, screen 2 in storm, avoid at all costs, the sound system is borked for months now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

yeah was there over over christmas and im not lying there gangs of travellers in there.you could hear them roaring in the lobby.buying tickets,at the sweet shop.during the film.maybe if the cinema mde all bookings in advance or credit card you wouldnt get as many loud travellers.also it might cut down on young scobes just paying in at the child rate just to wreck a film for everyone else

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Prejudice and bigotry. In a thread about cinemas.

WTF guys? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Sorry if you think that An File but its the truth.ok has anyone else on the forum seen the travellers/pavees(whats the term they prefer)seen them acting very rude at the cinema?i bet you will find plenty of people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

yeah was there over over christmas and im not lying there gangs of travellers in there.you could hear them roaring in the lobby.buying tickets,at the sweet shop.during the film.maybe if the cinema mde all bookings in advance or credit card you wouldnt get as many loud travellers.also it might cut down on young scobes just paying in at the child rate just to wreck a film for everyone else

LOL! was it on a Sunday by any chance? That seems to be the big day
    out to the shopping centre on Sundays, and there are usually gangs of the colorful and
    lively folk in the Cinema then. Typically in the Cinema, not staying until the end
    of the film, not knowing who the actors are or what the hell the film is about, and
    not able to shut up or stay still. In there own world not giving a damn about who
    is around them. More entertaining than the film sometimes if you listen to them.
    (to which you more often than not dont have a choice about)
    t

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

saw I am legend in the company of about 40 characters. came out wishing i was the only one left alive on the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

not wanting to make sweeping generalizations, but I was there recently and a group of travelers skipped the busy queue, straight up to the window. Who is going to argue with them?? A guy out with his girlfriend? a couple with their kids? probably not...
    weekday school nights are the best time to go there..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I stopped going to the Omniplex about five years ago as it was a waste of money paying to see a film there only to have certain types roaring during the film, shouting at each other, on phones and ,a number of times, breaking into full on fights between themselves.

I will only use Storm if I am seeing a film in Limerick. At least there you can generally sit down and watch the film you paid to see in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

I've been to the Omniplex many times and I've never seen any of this. I have seen members of the travelling community but they were never disruptive.

I've never had a film ruined by young people talking or on their phone. If they are too loud simply ask them to be quiet or if you want to avoid confrontation, go tell an usher.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Azphyxi8 wrote: »
    I've been to the Omniplex many times and I've never seen any of this. I have seen members of the travelling community but they were never disruptive.

I've never had a film ruined by young people talking or on their phone. If they are too loud simply ask them to be quiet or if you want to avoid confrontation, go tell an usher.

I have never seen it from the travelling community, but have seen what I saw from the scummier elements of this city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

This reminds me of a horse that used to be around a few years ago called Ahinduclint.

The owner of the horse was in a cinema in Rathkeale or somewhere out that way one night watching a western starring Clint Eastwood. Clint was getting into a spot of bother when one of the travellers stood up in the middle of the cinema and roared "Watch out, he's a hindu* Clint"

*(meaning Behind you - not the religion)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

I was in screen 2 last night to see Star Trek and yes, I noticed the sign up on the *inner* door about locking. Thought it very odd.

What was really annoying though was that they forgot to fade out the muzak and fade in the film track so we lost the first 3 minutes of audio/dialogue. They probably wouldn't have realized it either only one of our group had to go out and tell them. Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

bullets wrote: »
    LOL! was it on a Sunday by any chance? That seems to be the big day
    out to the shopping centre on Sundays, and there are usually gangs of the colorful and
    lively folk in the Cinema then. Typically in the Cinema, not staying until the end
    of the film, not knowing who the actors are or what the hell the film is about, and
    not able to shut up or stay still. In there own world not giving a damn about who
    is around them. More entertaining than the film sometimes if you listen to them.
    (to which you more often than not dont have a choice about)
    t

~B

As an ex - crescent retail employee, avoid cinema/crescent on a sunday...knacker time! Seriously they live in their own world!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I worked in the Omniplex about 9 years ago and every Sunday was a nightmare, a bunch of Hiace vans would pull up and out poured families of travellers in from Rathkeale with their best clean clothes on to watch "de pik-churs", they're all called John Paul and Kathleen for some reason, named after their mammy and daddy, or aunt and uncle who are by coincidence all the same people perhaps, and they'd spend all their time roaring at each other, annoying the piss out of people who get the concept that watching a film at the cinema isnt a chance to set your cousins up with each other because the new batch of babbies who arrived have eyes way too far apart and they need to dilute the gene pool to get them just right.

we couldnt bar them so we waited until there was one complaint and then chucked the lot out, although we have great fun sending them into movies that they had no clue what they were about, the amount of them I sent into Being John Malkovich and watched come out 5 minutes later as "it makes no sense at all boss" never got tired

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

i was in the omniplex one day early a watching some movie going back a while now.. there was a couple sitting behind me and they wouldnt stop argueing i politely asked them to shut the F**K by saying shut the F**K up and they did.. for 5 mins when the arguement got outta hand and she stood up to hit him and then he knocked her clean out sending her forward into my row of seats..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 markr221

Is that why the guards were there that weekend?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Are they still locking the doors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Are they still locking the doors?

Yes, was at film there 2 days ago. Seems to be done automatically. To be honest I doubt it will last long, people wont be too happy about being "locked" in the screen. Myself included.
    Apparently they are doing work to put in digital 3D projectors, might be something to do with it.

Advertisement