Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the tolerance/hostility level towards Muslims in Ireland?

• 21-05-2009 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Assalamu alaikum

I've been living in London for the last 20 odd years, accepted Islam about 10 years ago alhamdulillah and since then have been busy raising the family so only been back to Dublin once, for a flying visit last year.

I'm hoping to come over in July with the kiddos insha'Allah, renting a house near town for 3 weeks. What's it like for a hijabi/jilbabi sister walking around Dublin (& we may travel a bit further afield too)? Wondering whether I should pack my long skirts and tops rather than the jilbabs, which is what I have to do to avoid unwanted hostility in some areas over here in the UK (at some tourist sites in the south west you would be dead if looks could kill!). I don't really mind for myself, I can just ignore people who aren't friendly it doesn't bother me, but I don't want the kids to get any bad vibes.

I suppose I feel a bit nervous after reading some comments from Irish readers of newspaper articles about Islam/Muslims. Hope it's just the usual online nutters and people aren't really that hostile.

wassalam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Just stay away from old folks!

I recently gave an elderly hitchhiker a lift as it was absolutley lashing, and he asked me "are you a muslim?" (I'm kind of dark skinned and I have a beard) and I said "no", and he said "good!".

I told him I was fully Irish, Irish parents, lived here all my life etc.. and he said "oh right yeah.... are you a jew??!!!".

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

Zaynzma wrote: »
    Assalamu alaikum

I've been living in London for the last 20 odd years, accepted Islam about 10 years ago alhamdulillah and since then have been busy raising the family so only been back to Dublin once, for a flying visit last year.

I'm hoping to come over in July with the kiddos insha'Allah, renting a house near town for 3 weeks. What's it like for a hijabi/jilbabi sister walking around Dublin (& we may travel a bit further afield too)? Wondering whether I should pack my long skirts and tops rather than the jilbabs, which is what I have to do to avoid unwanted hostility in some areas over here in the UK (at some tourist sites in the south west you would be dead if looks could kill!). I don't really mind for myself, I can just ignore people who aren't friendly it doesn't bother me, but I don't want the kids to get any bad vibes.

I suppose I feel a bit nervous after reading some comments from Irish readers of newspaper articles about Islam/Muslims. Hope it's just the usual online nutters and people aren't really that hostile.

wassalam

Never noticed any problem, but I suppose its a sister you should be talking to..

I have noticed niqabis and Burqa-girls get the stare treatment (more in curiosity than hostility, but not welcoming none-the-less), but I've never noticed any negtivity towards hijabis and jilbabis.

You might wanna try this site:
    http://www.islamireland.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Zaynzma

@ Overblood - yeh I notice that old people are often the most suspicious - and even here in London sadly it's the old Irish grannies who are the worst for the dirty looks.

@ Sonic exyouth - curiosity's ok, ppl sometimes are surprised to see a western woman in hijab (although less so than they were 10 yrs ago, when I started wearing it). it's ok for them to be curious, I remember first time I saw a niqabi myself I nearly fell over backwards lol. I'll have a look at that website, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Are you talking about the full cloaking effect with only a small opening to allow you to see? I'm sure some people on here have said that this is a cultural artifact and nothing to do with Islam? Shouldn't you be asking about cultural resistance/tolerance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Zaynzma

Are you talking about the full cloaking effect with only a small opening to allow you to see? I'm sure some people on here have said that this is a cultural artifact and nothing to do with Islam? Shouldn't you be asking about cultural resistance/tolerance?

I'm not really looking for a debate about clothing. I have my views and if anyone has a different view then that's fine too, we're all entitled to our opinions aren't we? I mentioned hijab/jilbab in my post, that means scarf with a long dress or coat which is my preference. Here in the UK most places are fine but there are some areas, even in London, where you might get called names if you look too Islamic. I just wondered what the situation was in Ireland, hoping a Muslim sister might be able to advise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I'm not really looking for a debate about clothing. I have my views and if anyone has a different view then that's fine too, we're all entitled to our opinions aren't we? I mentioned hijab/jilbab in my post, that means scarf with a long dress or coat which is my preference. Here in the UK most places are fine but there are some areas, even in London, where you might get called names if you look too Islamic. I just wondered what the situation was in Ireland, hoping a Muslim sister might be able to advise.

I was discussing culture or religion, which one depends on your perspective I suppose.

The only thing I'll say is that no matter what country you go to. If you decide to follow cultural norms that are in the minority, you will experience some level of rejection e.g. Travelers? It is human nature to want to be around and live with people similar to you. The more you oppose the dominant culture, the more you will be rejected. I'm not saying whether that is fair or unfair. That's just how it is in every country. If you're just deciding to wear a headscarf, well I can't see you having much trouble with that. Long coats..... long dresses...... gloves maybe? That is further outside our cultural norm here in Ireland. You'll definitely stand out more! and some people will treat you differently. How bad it might be? No idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Assalamu alaikum

I'm hoping to come over in July with the kiddos insha'Allah, renting a house near town for 3 weeks.
    What's it like for a hijabi/jilbabi sister walking around Dublin (& we may travel a bit further afield too)?

As-sallamu aleykum sister welcome... and good to hear your story... Al-hamdulillah.

I can't speak for any of the ladies but mostly - there is no problem. As long as you stick to the golden rules of travelling and have others with you where you can.

Dublin has its problems but it is as safe as any European city during the daytimes. People do not have a big hangup about women observing Hijab as far as I can tell - or I have never seen so in the company of my mother or sister anyway when wearing the khimar. You might get some second glances but I think taunting would be rare insh'Allah. I dont think jilbaab will be a problem for you.
    Please don't let things you read on the internet fora put you off - people are much more vocal and forthright online and it is no true reflection of real life in Dublin, al-hamdulillah:)

By the way, I've just moved from one suburb to a pretty Muslim-orientated area close to the city centre and I'm happy to report there are always jilbaab and khimars and salwaar kameez and all sorts of Hijab every ten or twenty metres as I walk to town and everyone seems to get on very well, Muslim or not. It reminds me of why like Dublin so much.

So don't believe all of the bad stuff, come visit and insh'Allah you will have a good trip!
    wasaalam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Overblood wrote: »
    Just stay away from old folks!

I recently gave an elderly hitchhiker a lift as it was absolutley lashing, and he asked me "are you a muslim?" (I'm kind of dark skinned and I have a beard) and I said "no", and he said "good!".

I told him I was fully Irish, Irish parents, lived here all my life etc.. and he said "oh right yeah.... are you a jew??!!!".

You're a tolerant person then; I'd kick a fellow like that out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 oldtimer69

MAN BURDENED WITH BLOODSHED WILL FLEE INTO THE PIT...LET NO MAN HELP HIM....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement