Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exchange Problem

• 21-05-2009 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Ive set up exchange in the company and its up and running but 2 issues with it and if anybody could help me id appreciate it.

First off - I am getting every email the anyone in the company sends - not by choice and I would rather not get them. The senders message is on the attachment and I can see who the sender is sending to.
    How do I switch this off so I can get only my email messages?

Also one company seems to have use blacklisted- here is the error message
    mail146-wa4.bigfish.com #550 Service unavailable; Client host [**.***.**.***] blocked using 88.blacklist.zap; Mail From IP Banned To request removal from this list please forward this message to delist@frontbridge.com ##

Any ideas on the about.
    Its a head scratcher Exchange at time - 2009 and they have a 2GB limit on mailboxes!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I'm out of Exchange support for a long time now, but any chance your email box is set up as the "Journaling" account? Thats not like journaling in Outlook ;). In case journaling is a now concept to you just google Exchange Journaling.

Edit> That bounced email might just mean your open relay - it doens't take long to get blacklisted - so needs investigation. However if it becomes a real problem you could try sending your outgoing mail to eircoms smtp servers rather than have exchange do the delivery direct.

AND DON'T POST YOUR REAL IP ADDRESS if you are having problems then you become an immediate target for any hacker reading your post.

Now that I have said that can a MOD ***** out the IP address?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

ttm wrote: »
    AND DON'T POST YOUR REAL IP ADDRESS if you are having problems then you become an immediate target for any hacker reading your post.

Now that I have said that can a MOD ***** out the IP address?

Done.

-Funk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

ttm wrote: »
    I'm out of Exchange support for a long time now, but any chance your email box is set up as the "Journaling" account? Thats not like journaling in Outlook ;). In case journaling is a now concept to you just google Exchange Journaling.

Edit> That bounced email might just mean your open relay - it doens't take long to get blacklisted - so needs investigation. However if it becomes a real problem you could try sending your outgoing mail to eircoms smtp servers rather than have exchange do the delivery direct.

Journaling - thats the one I wanted alright. Stopped me seeing everybody emails.

Ill look into the SMTP issue tomorrow. might go down the Eircom route if it means that their wont be any blacklisted email coming back to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

It sounds like your IP is on a blacklist. Maybe some spyware was sending out stuff before or previous IP owner got it blocked. You can usually get it unblocked. You just email that address given. They should unblock you and monitor you for a few days to see that you're really not spamming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

abakan wrote: »
    Journaling - thats the one I wanted alright. Stopped me seeing everybody emails.

Ill look into the SMTP issue tomorrow. might go down the Eircom route if it means that their wont be any blacklisted email coming back to me

From the IP address you orignally posted I checked and unless you have a really simple password you are not open relay. Most of the scripts the spammers use look for a list of commonly used usernames and passwords so I can't be 100% sure.

ronkmonster could be right so for a business set up I'd limit Internet traffic to ports 80 and 443 on the router (or ISA if you have it) users will complain but it will save them getting themselves (and you) into a lot of unecesary trouble, but not all. You only need port 25 for the Exchange server so users don't need it.

Also if you had an open relay for more than a few minutes someone would have started using it - I kid you not. I've had spammers hit an Exchange server within 10 minutes of it going live because someone had set up a user account called test with a password..... you've guessed it test.

Your 2Gig limit depends on the version of Exchange you have but I'm sure there is a way to change it? But I'd keep the 2Gig limit as it it will stop your db's getting toooooo big, you'll thank me if you ever have to do database maintenance.

Don't forget this setup is for running a business not entertainment ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement