Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please be aware if signing up to Eircom broadband packages..

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Sofa_King Good

misty76 wrote: »
    Just got my first bill from eircom after signing up for the 7mb family package in march with a charge of 59.40e extra that i wasn't expecting and no on told me about when i was signing up..

Basically i was charged for signing up for the broadband because i signed up after my last bill was issued, no one told me about this when i asked were there any hidden charges i should know about.. If i had signed up say 35 days into the billing period i would not have been charged as much but would still have been charged for the transfer period, which they dont mention on the information page about the paticular package.. I know it is probably mentioned in the t&c, but to me its false advertising in a way..

I am so annoyed, Eircom is such a sneaky company.. Please tell as many people as you can so no one else gets stung for these charges.. I rang to querie the bill and the staff are so rude and unprofessional in dealing with the queries.. They were so cute not to mention what the best time to sign up was when i initially looked for information and also had to pay 30e on my last bill to cancel my dial up.. Rip off..

also beware that you have less grounds to stand on if you sign up over the internet whereas if you sign up over the phone you may have some come back with a human error element..

Hope i explained this ok, if you have any queries just ask and i will try to explain best i can..

Has anyone else had an experience like this or any other with Eircom??:rolleyes:

I agree Eircom are a sneaky company in my experience.

First off, you are charged for your broadband by the day; so for example if your broadband is E30 a month you are charged €1 per day, if you recieve the service on the last 10 days of the month you are charged €10.

I'd be more concerned about getting charged for cancelling your dial-up package as this shouldn't be the case at any stage and it is Eircoms responsability to cancel when your broadband has been activated.

Also, after the third month look closely out for a "Norton" charge on your bill, even though this may be the first you have heard of it as something similar happened to myself.

Lastly, I'd have to question why you made the jump from dial-up to the top-end broadband package? Especially with cost as an issue was it really necessary? If you just use the internet for general surfing then the 1mb package would have done just fine, especially if you are not a heavy phone user. How much were you spending on calls pre broadband? Particuraly on calls to Meteor and other landlines?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

First off, you are charged for your broadband by the day; so for example if your broadband is E30 a month you are charged €1 per day, if you recieve the service on the last 10 days of the month you are charged €10.

I'd be more concerned about getting charged for cancelling your dial-up package as this shouldn't be the case at any stage and it is Eircoms responsability to cancel when your broadband has been activated.

Also, after the third month look closely out for a "Norton" charge on your bill, even though this may be the first you have heard of it as something similar happened to myself.

Lastly, I'd have to question why you made the jump from dial-up to the top-end broadband package? Especially with cost as an issue was it really necessary? If you just use the internet for general surfing then the 1mb package would have done just fine, especially if you are not a heavy phone user. How much were you spending on calls pre broadband? Particuraly on calls to Meteor and other landlines?

If you are going to criticise a company please do it on substantive grounds. To call a company sneaky because they charge for a provided service is quite simply ludicrous.

There are many reasons to say so in my experience, they thrive on poor communication and confused customers. This would be just one and on topic -- Misty, were you informed that some of your of your call charges would go up after you signed up for the bundle? Calls outside your package i.e Call to non Meteor Mobiles and some International calls?

There are many reasons to say so in my experience, they thrive on poor communication and confused customers. This would be just one and on topic -- Misty, were you informed that some of your of your call charges would go up after you signed up for the bundle? Calls outside your package i.e Call to non Meteor Mobiles and some International calls?

If there are reasons to criticise an isp (and God knows boards is full of them) at least substantiate them in the relevant post.

But any service provider charging for services provided is not shady and anyone who does not expect to be charged for services provided is simply not living in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Yeah the offer does state there is a free month..

7Mb broadband for €24 included (first month FREE †) Copy and pasted this off the offer on eircom page.. So what does this mean?

Well i would like eircom to be clear and frank for new customers like me, i cant find any information on this and eircom would not tell me where i would read this either.. If anyone can pin point where i can read for myself what you are all telling me i would love to see it..

That promotion for the free month only came in two weeks ago,you said you signed up in march!!!

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    If there are reasons to criticise an isp (and God knows boards is full of them) at least substantiate them in the relevant post.

But any service provider charging for services provided is not shady and anyone who does not expect to be charged for services provided is simply not living in the real world.

In a past life I was an employee at an ISP and I know exactly what the OP is talkíng about. I'm guessing here Misty that you took everything the "expert" told you at face value because you had no reason not too.

So who's fault is it? The customers for not asking, or the vendor's for net telling?

I could write a book about the questionable activities of certain telecom's but I have no wish to do so simply because I would be shocked if this forum was not monitored and contributed to by representatives of the various companies.

Her issue is not that she has to pay for services rendered rather the lack of transparency and honesty really that goes with dealing with these companies and to compund this it is the lack of accountabilty and customer care from the company too.

In a past life I was an employee at an ISP and I know exactly what the OP is talkíng about. I'm guessing here Misty that you took everything the "expert" told you at face value because you had no reason not too.

So who's fault is it? The customers for not asking, or the vendor's for net telling?

I could write a book about the questionable activities of certain telecom's but I have no wish to do so simply because I would be shocked if this forum was not monitored and contributed to by representatives of the various companies.

Her issue is not that she has to pay for services rendered rather the lack of transparency and honesty really that goes with dealing with these companies and to compund this it is the lack of accountabilty and customer care from the company too.

You may know exactly what the op is talking about but it has taken a painful extraction process to establish as far as possible that the only gripe that the op has is that eircom charged for the service provided and the op did not appear to expect this.

How is there a lack of transparency and customer service in a supplier charging for services provided?

I doubt if there is anyone consistently as critical as myself in this forum in relation to billing shortcomings and so on but I just cannot see how you can expect any company to have to warn a new customer that they will be charged for all services provided.

For example are you seriously suggesting that when someone gets on a bus the driver should tell them that they will be charged for each stage that they are on the bus and that it might be a bit cheaper to walk a bit to another stop? And that if they dont do this there is a lack of transparency and customer service?

You many know exactly what the op is talking about but it has taken a painful extraction process to establish as far as possible that the only gripe that the op has is that eircom charged for the service provided and the op did not appear to expect this.

But as I see it that is not the only gripe.

A) The OP signs up for broadband over the phone, due to a breakdown in communication due either the OP, the eircom rep or a combination of both
    the OP signs up to a service that they are not fully aware of. For me, ultimately it is the Company's perogative to ensure that the customer is clear on everything.

What I have witnessed in the past is the minimum of details (especially on charges) passed as long as no questions are asked.

B) The flat rate charge is apparently running simultaneously with the Broadband charge.

C) The bill when it arrives is illedgible. Which leads to a call to

D) Customer Care whom due to imcompetence/lack of basic training/motivation/time management pressures either cannot or will not clarify in simple terms the charges.

Which gives you one unhappy and confused customer. Understandable I'd say.
    How is there a lack of transparency and customer service in a supplier charging for services provided?

But you see, she ultimately doesn't have a problem with this from what I can gather. I honestöy doubt that they had any assumptions before making or recieving that initial call. All of what she took to be the deal was from this information. Again, if there is any confusion for me the responsibility goes back to the company to clarify rather than promising the world to make the sale.
    I doubt if there is anyone consistently as critical as myself in this forum in relation to billing shortcomings and so on but I just cannot see how you can expect any company to have to warn a new customer that they will be charged for all services provided.

Fair point, but I belive that the onus is on the company to clarify any charges to the point of no confusion
    For example are you seriously suggesting that when someone gets on a bus the driver should tell them that they will be charged for each stage that they are on the bus and that it might be a bit cheaper to walk a bit to another stop? And that if they dont do this there is a lack of transparency and customer service?

No. Not at all. Although you get taken for a ride either way.

When you get on a bus and buy a ticket you can ask the price and you will recieve a straight answer - there is no small print.

A better comparison would be the unawares tourist getting a cab for the first time in a foriegn country.

They don't understand the language being used, the driver can communicate with them badly in simple, plain english, your slightly intimidated, but you take the driver at his apparent word. You think a price has been agreed from the start, you reach your destination and the bill is greater than what you thought was agreed. You ring the head office and it turns out the driver was within his rights to charge you that fare, its just that he didn't comprehensively explain this to you from the beginning. Could have been avoided from the start, you may have chosen to take another cab firm, or another mode of transport altogether. Bottom line, you got reeled in by the driver who told you what you want to know without lying.

sorry for changing it to the 1st person:)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭misty76

Thanks sofa king, im glad someone understands where i am coming from.. I wasnt aware there was a paticular day that if i cancelled my dial up i wouldnt of been charged until after as the date can vary slightly from one bill to the other so it would be pot luck to cancel on the exact day..

Oh no what is the norton charge? wil look into it..

Im happy to pay the 65 a month, the dial up was slow and i was on limited hours and im happy with the free calls.. What i wasnt happy about as you know were the charges.

The cost is an issue when i think i am signing up to something and then there is a surprise 60 euro on the bill..

I agree too the bill is hard to understand, even if they claim they have made it easier and that day i rang the staff just kept saying the same thing over and over but could not clearly explain to me or break the bill down so i could understand.. To be honest i still dont really understand.. The staff i felt were quite smart and rude with my querie.. i then rang customer complaints and talk about fella being patronising, he kept repeating my name and butting in when i tried to ask a question.. he refused to tell me where i could read the information..

I agree totally that the onus is on the company to clarify any charges to the point of no confusion..

Feck that if i get on a bus i know exactly what i am paying and where im going, not the best analogy.. But agree with your taxi senario..

Also it was mentioned utility bills are the same, well i have never had any problem with my esb, gas or ntl..

I disagee it is a painful extraction period, there are a few issues here actually, it is never easy to talk something out like this in writing, its not the easiest form of communication but we dont have an option to debate in person and it would be nice on here not to be made feel inadequate..

Thank again sofa king i felt quite set upon before you posted...;)

Information for consumers

Every consumer is entitled to receive a minimum quality of service from their communications provider. Where there is competition for the supply of services, it is a matter for individual consumers to choose a provider based on a trade off between price and service quality.

In order to enable telephone users to make an informed choice, ComReg requires all companies who offer telephony services to comply with a Code of Practice when presenting information on prices. The Code requires that price information is accurate, comprehensive and is accessible.
    In order to meet the other elements of information required to allow informed choices, ComReg has issued guidelines to telephony providers on what information they must specify in their contracts with customers. In particular, contracts should clearly state the services and the service level offered, i.e. what the company promises to provide to you.

While it is not mandatory for companies to offer compensation where promised service levels are not met, as a consumer you have rights under contract law and general consumer law.
    Where your expectations (in light of the service chosen and the operator's commitments) are not met, you should contact your operator to have the problem remedied or, where this is not possible, an adequate explanation of the situation.

Quote from com reg complaints and queries..

• Advertisement

No i wasnt informed..

Yes of course i am happy to pay the service but would like to have known about it.. Is it my fault i dont like you have the knowledge of all this, doubt the average person will.. and its not made clearly known either to begin with..

I feel you are going to have your opinion and i am going to have mine.. I still stand by what i first said that i just want people to be aware..

Is it fair we have to keep ringing and like a military operation organise exact dates to cancel and sign up without extra fees outside of diferent packages etc.. You would also think a month's notice is enough to give to cancel my dial up especially when i was signing up to their top package for a year without paying a fee..

I am living in the real world, i know all about it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

op you seem very informed and well able to communicate what eircom may be doing wrong yet i am still confused as to where or how exactly they have been sneaky as you dont seem able to post the charges levied in any way that can be understood, and i dont see that sofa-kin-goods hijack of your thread has done your cause any good at all.

when you signed up you pay from the next bill date but any overlap in service dates will be billed on this date also so you are paying your first bill with free broadband plus three weeks from the previous period. also remember that billing is monthly not bi-monthly

foggy_lad wrote: »
    op you seem very informed and well able to communicate what eircom may be doing wrong yet i am still confused as to where or how exactly they have been sneaky as you dont seem able to post the charges levied in any way that can be understood, and i dont see that sofa-kin-goods hijack of your thread has done your cause any good at all.

when you signed up you pay from the next bill date but any overlap in service dates will be billed on this date also so you are paying your first bill with free broadband plus three weeks from the previous period. also remember that billing is monthly not bi-monthly

Sneaky in the fact, if i dont know the correct day to disconnect i am charged..

Sneaky in the fact that it is not clearly stated exactly what i am signing up to, noticed perlico have an excellent FAQ section under there billing that if eircom had i wouldnt of had this problem.. Why dont they have the same information?

Sneaky in the fact that i dont learn information till it is too late and am obliged to pay the bill and i am not given the chance to make an informed decision..

Sneaky in the fact they prommise speeds which they cant meet..

Sneaky that there bill is hard to understand..

I understand what i am paying for now as they say knowledge is power, which i did not have a few days ago.. Hence if even only one person is made aware from this thread i will be happy.. But i am doing the job that eircom should be doing in the first place..

Welll sofa king has as much right as anyone to post,who cares if it has done me good or not, im deliged he can relate to what im saying, its awful everyone is always trying to win on here.. Is he not entitled to an opinion, think most people can see the point im making but they want to put their side which they are entitled to..

Its gone beyond the point of me posting the sums in my bill now..

How do you mean billing is monthly?

http://www.perlico.com/support/billing/default.aspx#sixteenninetynine

as opposed to these..

"eircom broadband frequently asked questions

1. Is self-install available on all broadband products?

Yes. eircom broadband time, home starter, home plus and home professional are available as self-install when you order online. eircom broadband self-install is not available for eircom isdn migration orders.
    2. What are the support numbers for the broadband products?

eircom broadband home starter / plus / professional and eircom broadband time- 1890 260 260.*
    * lines open 8am - 10pm 7 days a week. Calls charged at a local rate.
    3. When I connect to broadband, what do I need to do with my Internet dial-up account?

When you connect to broadband, you should contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to ensure that any previous dial-up settings to your Internet account are cancelled. eircom accept no responsibility for call charges incurred by customers who continue to dial-up to the Internet when they have eircom broadband installed.
    4. Does eircom have broadband online support

The eircom broadband online support site is your first port of call for all broadband and Internet related issues, from lost passwords to information on the latest virus threats. Intuitive and interactive, it has step-by-step guides and illustrations to make online support easy for you.
    5. Do I sign up to a contract?

When you order eircom broadband and talktime as a bundle, you are subject to a minimum 12 month contract period.
    6. What happens if I cease before the end of the contract period?

If you cease your bundle service during the minimum contract period, eircom reserves the right to charge the monthly rental for the balance of the unexpired contract period.** In the event that the customer fails to return the modem within 14 days, eircom reserves the right to charge the customer the sum of €99.40 (inc. VAT) for the wireless modem.

**Please note: if you cease your broadband within the six months, you will be charged the remaining rental for the six month contract period.
    7. What constitutes ceasing from bundles?

If a customer ceases their broadband or talktime packages (or both) then they are deemed to have ceased from bundles.
    8. Are DSFA customers eligible for eircom bundles?

Yes.
    9. Are there additional charges for a broadband connection if I have a monitored phone alarm?

Yes, a technician may need to call out to your premises. Please click here for further information

Last updated: Apr 03, 2009 "

Why cant eircom do this?? Also the more i look up about eircom i am shocked with how unhappy people are with them and their services..

jor el wrote: »
    The cost of 7Mb broadband is €24 a month, and this is included in the price they give you, which is €41.16 for the first month and €65.16 a month thereafter. Your first bill contained a back-charge, from March to May, of €59.40, which would have been the €41.16 for the first 30 days, and then I'm guessing €18.24 that makes up the remaining days in that billing period (about a week or so).

That's about the gist of it I think.

I'm assuming this is the offer you signed up to?
    eircom.jpg
    Looks fairly straight forward to me.

I dont think it is a back charge, i was paying a euro a day for the broadband roughly.. I dont think the 41.16 has anything to do with it.. Also as pointed out the offer wasnt open to me then.. so the bb wasnt free for the first month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

http://www.perlico.com/support/billing/default.aspx#sixteenninetynine

Why cant eircom do this?? Also the more i look up about eircom i am shocked with how unhappy people are with them and their services..

Perlico are just as misleading as Eircom

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Very true was just saying it happened that i understood more about my issue from reading their FAQ's.. But true they are all guilty..

Advertisement