Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing leftovers and cooking for one

• 21-05-2009 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi guys, quick question.

I've recently started cooking so I’m only just learning my way. The one problem is that i'm cooking for one, so instead of cooking everyday - I’d love to just cook a big pot of something and let it do me for a few days. I'm a bit clueless when it comes to storage,

E.G if i cook a big man of Spag Bol, can i immediately stick in into Tupperware and pop it into the fridge. One friend told me to stick it in straight away, another told me i have to let it fully cool before i put in the fridge. Anyone know what i should do?

Also - if anyone else has any tips for someone cooking for one please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

let it cool first, putting hot food in the fridge will make it work harder and you will burn out the motor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Safefood will probably answer all your questions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I save up all my sauce jars that go into dishes, I have loads now and they are perfect for storing individual sized meals like spag bol or curry & rice. I fill them immediately after cooking, this is important since the heat will kill most newly settling contaminatants in the air. I cap immediately and to cool I either leave them out the back or dump them all in a basin of cold water. Out the back the breeze cools things fast enough. I then stick in the fridge once cold, or freeze if going longer storage.

You can also "can" food, sterilize it in a pressure cooker. I have done this before, if sterile it will last indefinitely at room temp, just like normal jars & cans in supermarkets. That is a big "IF" sterile, many people do not do the process right.

Advertisement