Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy Irish?

Options
  • 21-05-2009 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭

Are you going to save the economy by buying and shopping in Irish shops, or are you going to further the downturn by lining other countries pockets for the sake of saving a few bob? George Hook put it well a few weeks ago regarding the 80's. We banded together to boycott South African apartheid produced goods, so can we do they same to save ourselves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Irish companies aren't able to put the Guarenteed Irish logo on products anymore, but I try and buy Irish whenever I can.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

I'd buy Irish, but I'm poor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

You know you posted this in AFTER HOURS???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I contribute enough to the Government with my tax and daily rapage by the government.

I'll feel under no obligation to contribute. What I buy will be based on value for money, so you could say I won't be buying much Irish produce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Mingey wrote: »
    Are you going to save the economy by buying and shopping in Irish shops, or are you going to further the downturn by lining other countries pockets for the sake of saving a few bob?
    So whats your take then on shopping in Dunnes and Tesco's here in the south, how many products that go into a weekly trolley are Irish ?

I'll think about myself and my family first and will continue to go where I will get value for my money, be it north or south.

The only way the economy is going to bounce back is when FF go and the retail/wholesale sector change they're profiteering ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Made in Ireland/ Baked in Ireland/ Irish crafted/ Grown in Ireland

These things mean one thing to me in general, overpriced.

Like someone else said, I would buy Irish goods all the time but it's just so expensive for questionable quality. Thinking about what's in my apartment, the only Irish products I can think of right now are bread and the newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

Irish goods should be the cheapest, low shipping costs fast turnaround etc but that's never the case, why?
    This country need to regain it's competitive edge, recent trends of shopping abroad (North included) are forcing manufacturers, distributors and shops to realise this and respond.

If an Irish product is placed in front of me that is the same price and quality as it's foreign counterpart then I'll buy it, if not I'll look elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

hellboy99 wrote: »
    So whats your take then on shopping in Dunnes and Tesco's here in the south, how many products that go into a weekly trolley are Irish ?
    A lot more than if you shop in lidl or aldi - there all ( well, most of ) the money goes direct to Germany.

Why do you think that is?

I notice that when I shop in Superquinn or Tesco or Dunnes, the products I tend to buy aren't Irish anyway, because I'm typically not going to buy products that are the most expensive variety on the shelf, so it isn't even a store-by-store issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

Lets hope people in other countries dont get bright protectionist ideas like that

all we need now is another nail in our exports

Even my county council are at it too, they recently went to get leaflets printed and got them done up north as they were cheaper thus saving a few euro for the tax payer :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

indeed ionix5891, protectionist policy like this serves no one any good.

I agree that things are overpriced here to a large degree, but you do have to take into account the cost of doing business in Ireland is horrendous compared with other countries in the EU.

I'll continue to buy based on value and quality. I do try and shop in my local area, particularly in the smaller shops where i am happy that a higher price is worth it as the quality levels are also higher. I will also shop across the border from time to time, but don't make a specific trip for "the shopping".

Eventhough the likes of Lidl and Aldi are german companies though, the money that we spend there pays the wages of the staff, who make much more of a cumlative contribution to the economy than worrying about profits etc heading back to Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

From InFront; Made in Ireland/ Baked in Ireland/ Irish crafted/ Grown in Ireland

ie shipped in from another country in bulk and packaged here in Ireland so it can get a stamp saying "originated in Ireland" Thats not Irish made or grown here. Don't confuse the two people.

edit - Infront, that's not a dig at you, just borrowed your words to make a point

ie shipped in from another country in bulk and packaged here in Ireland so it can get a stamp saying "originated in Ireland" Thats not Irish made or grown here. Don't confuse the two

I'm not sure such a product could legally claim to have originated in Ireland under those circumstances. Nevertheless, it's beside the point.

Mainly through no fault of their own, Irish producers incur large production costs, largely down to high wages and high energy costs. The cost is passed on to the customer, making products that even touch off the manufacturing belt here in Ireland are quite simply overpriced compared with international competitors. I'm sorry that's the case, but that's how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

jimmmy wrote: »
    A lot more than if you shop in lidl or aldi - there all ( well, most of ) the money goes direct to Germany.

Aldi and Lidl buy much of their fresh produce locally. They cut their margins, or push for better deals, but it is sourced in Ireland. Depends on the product of course. If it's pre-packed then yes, it has probably come from a country with efficient, low-margin food production capability.

Ireland would have helped it's case by not turning prime farmland into housing estates at the drop of a hat, but that's short-term credit-based planning for you. Maybe in a year we can buy cheap Irish-made bricks in Aldi or Lidl, fresh from a repossessed house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Sean_Ludawg

Tago Mago wrote: »
    I'd buy Irish, but I'm poor

I find most of Lidels stock is Irish these days so problem solved!:L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭halkar

I would buy Irish bananas if they are not grown in Dáil :D

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

This post has been deleted.

Filled the trolley in Sainsbury's in Derry last night. the same trolley load would have been €60 dearer in Letterkenny.

Bought a sandwich and 50ml bottle of diet coke after finished shopping for £1.97. Price of same in Letterkenny €4.50.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

Filled the trolley in Sainsbury's in Derry last night. the same trolley load would have been €60 dearer in Letterkenny.

Bought a sandwich and 500ml bottle of diet coke after finished shopping for £1.97. Price of same in Letterkenny €4.50.

FYP :pac:

Eventhough the likes of Lidl and Aldi are german companies though, the money that we spend there pays the wages of the staff, who make much more of a cumlative contribution to the economy than worrying about profits etc heading back to Germany.

who knows, maybe the profits stay here anyways, the low corpo tax helps ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I'll buy the cheapest i can get if thats Irish then thats great
    I wasn't brought into this world to save a country

kevteljeur wrote: »
    Aldi and Lidl buy much of their fresh produce locally.
    And they buy the vast bulk of their goods from outside the country....a lot of what they sell comes from Germany, Poland, the far east etc. Not very green that.

And they buy the vast bulk of their goods from outside the country....a lot of what they sell comes from Germany, Poland, the far east etc. Not very green that.

oh now

the fact that you are breathing now and sitting in front of a pc powered by dirty coal, oil, gas and turf

is not very green either

im sick of green hippies trying to drag us into some "idylic" stone age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

I'll buy the cheapest i can get if thats Irish then thats great
    I wasn't brought into this world to save a country

Haha! Or to buy a 400K 2 bed room timber frame house!

I could be using solar power or wind power for my p.c. for all you know, not that its any of your business. I am certainly not a green hippy.
    However, I think its a pity more people do not think before they buy or consume anything. We can all take small steps to help save jobs locally and help the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I could be using solar power or wind power for my p.c. for all you know, not that its any of your business. I am certainly not a green hippy.
    However, I think its a pity more people do not think before they buy or consume anything. We can all take small steps to help save jobs locally and help the environment.

I thought you powered your home using hot air jimmmy:pac:

I am also glad to know you want to take steps help save local public sector jobs!!

I use "green gas" does that count :p:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

... seek the best value when purchasing.

I do think Irish products generally represent good value.

On the other hand, I think that Irish services (esp retail) are bad value. If it made economic sense for me ( in Cork) I would drive up & do my shopping in the North. I applaud the people who do this, even if it leads to job losses here. ( Aside: A job is not a job if it exists because of inifficiencies/subsidisation/tariffs etc. That is indoor relief. A real job is one where the employee creates more value than (s)he earns. Ireland needs real jobs right now, not fake ones)

I don't applaud the job losses of course, but the people who shop in the North are playing a critical role in removing market distortions, improving efficiency, and forcing Tesco in particular to abandon its price distortion policy.

I remember clearly a time when income taxes were well over 50% & companies like irish Steel were being massively subsidised by the Government to keep people in non-productive jobs. Dont want to go back to that again.

Advertisement