Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cigarette butts

Options
  • 21-05-2009 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

I've always been curious about something. Why does practically every person who smokes in Ireland feel it's acceptable to throw cigarette butts on the streets? Things have gotten much worse since the smoking ban. Anytime I walk past a pub I see hundreds of cigarette butts on the footpath. It doesn't matter if the pub has one of those cigarette disposal bins attached to the wall, the majority of people still throw butts on the path. This isn't just confined to pubs though, it's pretty much everywhere. I find it virtually impossible to walk ten feet here (Carlow) without seeing at least one cigarette butt on the path. I've also had people (accidentally but carelessly) hit me with cigarette butts or flick ashes on my shoe when I've been walking past pubs or shops or even parked cars.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Cigarette butts on the street is one thing but ashes on your shoe? Outrageous!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If I'm paying 5 euro tax on each pack you're lucky it's just fag butts that I discard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I smoke.

On streets/outside pubs or whatever, if there is a receptacle provided for my smoke butts, I use it.

On streets where there is no such receptacle, I flick them away.

If I'm smoking in the car, they go out the window.

Whatcha gonna do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I think those little orange and brown butts brighten up the place as concrete grey is a tad dull :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

So what are you complaining here for.............

Go and pick them up already

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I find staying indoors limits encounters with these nasty horrible littering smokers you speak of.

You can order mostly everything online these days so really there's no need for anyone to go outside at all. Can't for the life of me understand why anyone would be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dlite

I like cigarette butts and I can not lie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i always put them in the top of the bins but when one isnt available i put throw them on the ground. i dont like doing it but im not going to burn my pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I hate the smell of cigarette filters when they go on fire. You'd often smell it from cigarette disposal units.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Des wrote: »
    I smoke.

On streets/outside pubs or whatever, if there is a receptacle provided for my smoke butts, I use it.

Whatcha gonna do?
    So you're saying that if you were in Pighead's house for dinner and the bin happened to be full you'd flick the cigarette somewhere on the ground rather than putting it in your pocket/beard? Disgraceful attitude and one that will ensure you shall never receive a dinner invite from this poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Imagine we actuall enforced the litter laws? It'd solve the council's funding problems, that's for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Tannylan

"butt" out and mind your own business for butts sake:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

Whatcha gonna do?

You're obviously trolling but...

I'd pay good money to see you do that and the fag but hit the visor of the motorcycle cop riding behind you...:eek: uhoh spaghetti ohhhsss

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

I don't smoke, don't like smokers but I must admit I do like see cigarette butts on the street. Theire orangey brown colour makes a nice contrast to the grey concrete and they are descrete compared to other litter such as crisp bags and empty bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

tommmy1979 wrote: »

I'd pay good money to see you do that and the fag but hit the visor of the motorcycle cop riding behind you...:eek: uhoh spaghetti ohhhsss

T

Your Dollars are worthless here

/assumption

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

I collect cigarette butts to make huge ones like this:
    cig4.jpg

Why you ask? Because I can, That is all....

T
    It would be even better if it was Robocop's visor that he hit. He would crush Des like a car crusher would do a car. He would crush him until he was flatter than Gwyneth Paltrows chest. Crush him until he was deader than a dodo. Crush him until he was sorrier than an AIB Chief Executive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

I smoke.

Whatcha gonna do?

I've an idea !!! Genocide :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    I don't smoke, don't like smokers but I must admit I do like see cigarette butts on the street. Theire orangey brown colour makes a nice contrast to the grey concrete and they are descrete compared to other litter such as crisp bags and empty bottles.

You took the words right out of Venom's mouth. It must have been when you were kissing him.

I'm not trolling.

I do do them things.

And Pighead, no, if I was in your house I'd probably smoke out the backyard, and flick the fag ends into the neighbours garden.

Unless you provided an ashtray for indoor smoking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Why does practically every person who smokes in Ireland feel it's acceptable to throw cigarette butts on the streets?

Because they're uncivilised scumbags who put their convenience above a basic respect for their surroundings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

If I'm paying 5 euro tax on each pack you're lucky it's just fag butts that I discard

I agree. We are being taxed to the bollox for our fine tobacco so you can go and shite if you think we're gonna make it easier for the government.

And Pighead, no, if I was in your house I'd probably smoke out the backyard, and flick the fag ends into the neighbours garden.
    Not if Pigheads neighbour was Robocop, you wouldn't. He'd crush you if you even thought about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Pighead wrote: »
    Not if Pigheads neighbour was Robocop, you wouldn't. He'd crush you if you even thought about it.

Don't be silly, why would Robocop be your neighbour, he doesn't need a house?

You've clearly bought into Robocop's outlandish claims that his name's Murphy and he's just a regular guy.
    He's not, he's just a machine.
    OCP just chuck him into a box at night when he's finished work.

It's best not to listen to him, you'll only encourage him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

You've clearly bought into Robocop's outlandish claims that his name's Murphy and he's just a regular guy.
    He's not, he's just a machine.
    OCP just chuck him into a box at night when he's finished work.

No they don't, he sits in a chair and "sleeps." Oh sure, the chair might be housed in a glass enclosure at the back of the police station, but it's still not a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SYLT

I smoke.

Whatcha gonna do?

You

Are

My

Hero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

I smoke.

Whatcha gonna do?
    Put if in the car ashtray? I know a motorbike rider who got blinded in one eye from an idiot who threw his cigarette butt out his window and hit him.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Because they're uncivilised scumbags who put their convenience above a basic respect for their surroundings.
    Amen to that.

Highsider wrote: »
    Put if in the car ashtray? I know a motorbike rider who got blinded in one eye from an idiot who threw his cigarette butt out his window and hit him.:mad:

Should have had his visor down tbh.

It could have been anything that blinded him, anything small enough to hit his eye with the visor up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Mr. Gruff

Highsider wrote: »

Nothing stinks up a car quite like an ashtray full of stale butts.
    Well... maybe a meth lab or something,,,

In before it'll smell of smoke anyway, If you open two windows while driving, you've got yourself nature's air conditioning system.

Advertisement