Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cigarette butts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Des wrote: »
    Should have had his visor down tbh.

It could have been anything that blinded him, anything small enough to hit his eye with the visor up.

At a low speed its very unlikely that anything outside of a smoking hot ember will do any real damage, at speed it will be down.

Ignoring that fact that it could go into his lap or any of the gaps in his bike gear. Would you think it was acceptable to flick cigarette ends at people? Because I don't see the difference in that situation.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Highsider wrote: »
    Put if in the car ashtray? I know a motorbike rider who got blinded in one eye from an idiot who threw his cigarette butt out his window and hit him.:mad:

The mechanics of how that happened escape me. Did he just leave it in there for a few minutes or what? Bikers are hardcore.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The mechanics of how that happened escape me. Did he just leave it in there for a few minutes or what? Bikers are hardcore.

Nah, it landed in his mouth and he became addicted to them.

That ultimately led to cataracts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Non-smokers are all a bunch of whining maggots :D

That's a somewhat less than charitable aspersion to make my man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

I hate the smell of cigarette filters when they go on fire. You'd often smell it from cigarette disposal units.

Awww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Highsider wrote: »
    Put if in the car ashtray? I know a motorbike rider who got blinded in one eye from an idiot who threw his cigarette butt out his window and hit him.:mad:
    It seems most drivers don't want to get their car ashtrays dirty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

You took the words right out of Venom's mouth. It must have been when you were kissing him.

It was actually. You sound jealous.

Because they're uncivilised scumbags who put their convenience above a basic respect for their surroundings.

That's probably the most accurate answer.
    The council planted trees in a street here in Carlow. The tree pots were there for about three years and nothing ever grew because smokers kept discarding their butts in the clay. The council ended up getting rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Overblood wrote: »
    Awww

Awww what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

That's probably the most accurate answer.
    The council planted trees in a street here in Carlow. The tree pots were there for about three years and nothing ever grew because smokers kept discarding their butts in the clay. The council ended up getting rid of them.

The smokers were in fact attempting to cultivate a cigarette tree. Government taxes drove them to such desperate measures.

Alas it was a foolhardy endeavour, you can't just grow tobacco like. We'll have to keep importing it from 19th Century South Carolina indefinitely I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

OP there was a thread few weeks ago on this with some heated discussion..

Carlow is a dyke anyway luckily for you i only throw my cig butts around the IT:pac:

Awww what?

A w-w-w-w-wabbit

If I'm paying 5 euro tax on each pack you're lucky it's just fag butts that I discard
    By that logic if I buy expensive food I should be able to crap all over the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I was driving down the road one sunny day last year. I had my sunroof open, enjoying the loverly weather.

Next thing I know, a still burning cigarette but lands on the passenger seat. By the time that I pulled over and threw it out, it had burned a hole in the seat. :eek::mad:

Luckely it did not land in my lap.
    But, this has cost me a lot of money, and all because someone decided to throw their cigarette but out the window. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

By that logic if I buy expensive food I should be able to crap all over the streets.

if you got a serious problem with people smoking and dropping butts on the ground i suggest you travel back in time to the discovery of tobacco and shoot those tree huggers down

posting threads about it, campaigning about it or hell even going on a ciggerette dropping mofo shooting spree isnt going to change a damn thing, your like a 1000 years to late to care

I agree. We are being taxed to the bollox for our fine tobacco so you can go and shite if you think we're gonna make it easier for the government.
    It's not just about the government. Your fellow countrymen/women might not want to have to look at butts everywhere they walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

P.C. wrote: »
    I was driving down the road one sunny day last year. I had my sunroof open, enjoying the loverly weather.

Next thing I know, a still burning cigarette but lands on the passenger seat. By the time that I pulled over and threw it out, it had burned a hole in the seat. :eek::mad:

Luckely it did not land in my lap.
    But, this has cost me a lot of money, and all because someone decided to throw their cigarette but out the window. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Maybe you should stop driving in people's blind spot then?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If I'm paying 5 euro tax on each pack you're lucky it's just fag butts that I discard

Think of it as a health care tax, statistically you'll cost the HSE more in your life then somebody that doesn't smoke :D

If you ever walk past a shop or pub and have a cigarette butt land on your arm it will hurt just as much whether you're a smoker or non-smoker.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Think of it as a health care tax, statistically you'll cost the HSE more in your life then somebody that doesn't smoke :D

Well that's not necessarily true if you play the statistics game. The last thing the government wants is some fella living till 97 who's never smoked in his life claiming a pension for 30 years. At least smokers have the good grace to shuffle off the mortal coil young and quickly most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Vain wrote: »
    I collect cigarette butts to make huge ones like this:
    cig4.jpg

Why you ask? Because I can, That is all....

I'd be on that like a jack russel on a great dane.!

Overheal wrote: »
    Maybe you should stop driving in people's blind spot then?

Good on you. :rolleyes:

Care to pay for the damage.

1.) you should know when there is a car in your blind spot.
    2.) it is illegal to throw things out your car.
    3.) you should be concentrating on your driving, and not smoking.
    4.) it was a single lane road, so no blind spot.
    5.) the person in the car in front of me put their arm out the window, and flicked the cigarette up.

When I am driving I often become distracted by the sheer beauty of the cigarette in my hand. It's amazing.

Or actually maybe it's no kind of distraction whatsoever and that little theory is a load of shoite.

Good on you. :rolleyes:

Care to pay for the damage.

1.) you should know when there is a car in your blind spot.
    2.) it is illegal to throw things out your car.
    3.) you should be concentrating on your driving, and not smoking.
    4.) it was a single lane road, so no blind spot.
    5.) the person in the car in front of me put their arm out the window, and flicked the cigarette up.

I've been hit with cigarette butts being discarded from parked cars while I was walking on the footpath. It has nothing to do with blind spots, it's just that some people don't care enough to consider the consequences of throwing a lit cigarette butt out their window.

When I am driving I often become distracted by the sheer beauty of the cigarette in my hand. It's amazing.

Or actually maybe it's no kind of distraction whatsoever and that little theory is a load of shoite.

So, you always look to see that your cigarette will land in a safe place before you throw it out your car window?

Think about that carefully before you answer.

It is not the smoking part I have a problem with.
    You can smoke as much as you want, where you want.
    I would love them to scrap the smoking laws - smoking in the pub is fine by me, and good for business - I hate it when people leave a conversation to go for a smoke. Just light up, it does not bother me.

Having said that - PLEASE use the ashtray!

Oh, and ashtrays are for ash and cigarette buts, not you chewing gum or you bits of paper - the trick is in the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

How much damage did it really cause? 20 bucks? you could have sewn a patch over the burn. Bet you put a whole new cover on your seat? :pac:

Overheal wrote: »
    How much damage did it really cause? 20 bucks? you could have sewn a patch over the burn. Bet you put a whole new cover on your seat? :pac:

A bit more than 20 bucks. And, yes, I had to get the whole seat covered. Would have got a whole new seat, except it cost too much.

Why should I put up with damage to my car that was not my fault?

If I scratched the side of your car with my bicycle, would you want me to pay for the damage?
    Or would you just put a patch over the scratch?

So, you always look to see that your cigarette will land in a safe place before you throw it out your car window?

Think about that carefully before you answer.

It is not the smoking part I have a problem with.
    You can smoke as much as you want, where you want.
    I would love them to scrap the smoking laws - smoking in the pub is fine by me, and good for business - I hate it when people leave a conversation to go for a smoke. Just light up, it does not bother me.

Having said that - PLEASE use the ashtray!

Oh, and ashtrays are for ash and cigarette buts, not you chewing gum or you bits of paper - the trick is in the name.

My man I have driven in California and Australia during a heatwave where throwing a lit smoke out a window can result in a 200 acre destroying forest fire. That sort of instills an unnatural fear in you of the damage a lit smoke can do in the wrong place.

• Advertisement

My man I have driven in California and Australia during a heatwave where throwing a lit smoke out a window can result in a 200 acre destroying forest fire. That sort of instills an unnatural fear in you of the damage a lit smoke can do in the wrong place.

So, you don't condone throwing cigarettes out of a car window.

For a moment there, it seemed like you did - glad that is cleared up. :)

Advertisement