Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cigarette butts

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

P.C. wrote: »
    So, you don't condone throwing cigarettes out of a car window.

For a moment there, it seemed like you did - glad that is cleared up. :)

My point was entirely relating to the insinuation that smoking is a distracting or somehow dangerous habit behind the wheel. It is not.

I had to sit through a health and safety meeting that highlighted the dangers of having clear plastic bottled water on the front seat. It included a video showing how quickly a fire could start because of a clear plastic bottle of water.
    The world is gone nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

My point was entirely relating to the insinuation that smoking is a distracting or somehow dangerous habit behind the wheel. It is not.

Smoking is distracting and a dangerous habit behind the wheel.

A few examples of what could go wrong, and very often does:

Looking for fags and/or lighter, and looking up to find the car in front has stopped = you rear end them. :eek:
    Your hand is off the wheel while you are getting your smoke out of the pack, and while lighting it.
    Dropping your cigarette to take avoiding action = you could set your car on fire, or yourself. :eek:
    Flicking your ash out the window, only to find that you forgot to open the window and the 'coal' or burning part of the smoke has broken off and gone between the seat and the door - you are now trying to make sure that it does not burn anything before you relight your smoke, and open the window. That little episode has taken your attention away from the road for more than 30 seconds, and in that time the school child who got off the bus, crossed the road in front of your car, and you did not see them. :eek:

Don't get me wrong - changing a CD while driving is a distracting and a dangerous habit behind the wheel.
    This is one of the reasons that modern cars have the radio controls on the stearing wheel.
    Drinking coffee is a distracting and a dangerous habit behind the wheel.

The people who smoke while driving will say: I have been doing this for years, I don't get distracted. Bollocks! :D
    See what I did there.

But things go wrong so quick while we are driving.
    If you want a smoke, pull in somewhere safe, and have a smoke.
    You go on an plane for a few hours without smoking, why not drive without smoking?
    I had to sit through a health and safety meeting that highlighted the dangers of having clear plastic bottled water on the front seat. It included a video showing how quickly a fire could start because of a clear plastic bottle of water.
    The world is gone nuts.

I sympathize. And, yes, it seems the world has gone nuts on the 'heath and saftey' front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i'd be lying if i said i've never dropped butts. i always try to stick it in the bin but it's impossible some times. i've seen people drop butts on the ground instead of walking 10 metres to a bin. pure laziness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Awww what?

You poor craytur.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

There's a €150 fine for throwing a cigarette butt on the pavement/road from your car.
    Manky habit tbh, and I'm glad every time the government add taxes and up the price on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

It could be "mildly distracting" if the cigarette/hot ash fell in your lap and started burning your testicles.
    But sure, that wouldn't affect your driving at all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Des wrote: »
    If I'm smoking in the car, they go out the window.

Whatcha gonna do?
    Throw it back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Smokers are jokers

Advertisement