Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price Comparison

Options
  • 21-05-2009 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

I'm not asking for names, but what are the biggest price differences you've come across when pricing around for ammo, guns, scopes, etc...

for me, I was looking for my first .223, a CZ deluxe. The worst price was €1150 :eek:, but I bought it for €615 in the end.

BOTH PRICES IN THE REPUBLIC!

Difference - €565 :eek::eek:

FS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I got quoted €1,375 for my .308 in Kerry, bought it locally in Cork for €1,100. Saved €275.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, for some brands of Eley .22lr ammo, you'll pay up to four times the price in the ROI as you will abroad (even if only across the border into Newry).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Beneli comfort quoted €1500 in the republic quoted €1150 in the north

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

the biggest difference im noticing is in ammo some places charging 40 odd euro for a box of v max hornadys compared to 20 euro ,i find very important to shop around
    even with the scopes got quote of 2500 for the s+b pm2,finally got it for 2150 including the warne mounts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

When I was looking to get a 223 I was quoted more for a second-hand tikka lite than I could get it new from my local dealer. AND about €250 in the difference

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

A friend bought a Very well used Remington sps .223 for e1000 off a dealer only to discover later he could have bought the same rifle NEW the other side of town for e700.Just a lad that didnt know and screwed because the dealer knew he was just a lad that didnt know a whole lot.After travelling all the way from Galway to Athlone this was what he got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Another thing to remember about purchasing guns is that your as likely to be screwed buying private as well, I knew a fella who always managed to sell his second hand guns for more than their original price simply because he chose his targets wisely..for their lack of knowledge!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Quick question.

If you don't check out prices or research an area you have very little knowledge on before spending your hard earned cash, are you asking for trouble?? and do you deserve what you get??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Quick question.

If you don't check out prices or research an area you have very little knowledge on before spending your hard earned cash, are you asking for trouble?? and do you deserve what you get??

Yes and whats worst is you can't bring the item back for a refund. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

clivej wrote: »
    Yes and whats worst is you can't bring the item back for a refund. :eek:

To be honest i find stick to who you no. I deal with the same dealer everytime. I've bough 2 guns of him now and he always looks after me... Don't go in blind though bring someone you no or if you dont no anyone. Put a post up here and ask for help I'm sure there's plenty who wood love an excuse to get to the gun dealer.. I no I do..:D

• Advertisement

That's what I'm talking about - going in where you don't know the water, surely some common sense says research it first!

But some responsibility has to be taken by dealers ! is the dealers association a contact for people that have been blaintantly ripped off or are we talking consumer rights or some form of ombudsman??

Then there's the dealer where you go in looking for xyz and are told Oh! you don't want that , their terrible, what you want is ... and I just happen to have one in stock, but their selling out fast!!

I hate this sh*t, I ( at this stage ) know what I want and need !

I'm aware some dealers may not like this thread but any decent dealer would not have a problem with it.

FS

Have you seen whos involved in the dealers association,I mean the guys that do the talking on the top bench.Theres such thing as honour among thieves,not with this crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

€22 for a box of 50.17hmr round's in Wexford, and €12-50 in Waterford,someons making a killing. (pardon the pun) The dear one's were Hornady and the cheaper one's were Winchester, I wouldn't mind, but they are all loaded by C.C.I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

marlin vs wrote: »
    €22 for a box of 50.17hmr round's in Wexford, and €12-50 in Waterford,someons making a killing. (pardon the pun) The dear one's were Hornady and the cheaper one's were Winchester, I wouldn't mind, but they are all loaded by C.C.I.

there is 4 RFD in wexford

Never knew there was 4 in Wexford,I only ever heard of Eastcoast rod and gun.How does he fair out on the comparison scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

thedragon wrote: »
    Never knew there was 4 in Wexford,I only ever heard of Eastcoast rod and gun.How does he fair out on the comparison scale.

i would not care to comment on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

A friend bought a Very well used Remington sps .223 for e1000 off a dealer only to discover later he could have bought the same rifle NEW the other side of town for e700.Just a lad that didnt know and screwed because the dealer knew he was just a lad that didnt know a whole lot.After travelling all the way from Galway to Athlone this was what he got.

He's not the first to be butchered by this guy, he has it off to a fine art catching people who aren't sure, as to complaining to the dealers association, waste of time they only look after their own.
    i wanted a SSG 3000 a few years back quoted €3600 here in ireland got it myself from germany for €1800, the dealer wasn't impressed gave told me a load of bull$h1t about it being illegal and that dealers association had contacted DOJ about getting private it banned, at the time i thought he was just ranting, They really have us where they want us now they can charge what they like, just look at a nightforce scope price 8x32x56 Dealer wholesale price €800 customer price can vary from €1650 to €2500, If you want it you now have to pay what they ask.
    Is the banning of private importation of firearms legal under euro law?

I wasnt aware that they actually banned private importation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I wasnt aware that they actually banned private importation.

Bill hasn't gone through yet. Hopefully won't for the time being. I've a rifle in the pipeline myself.

Well then what about the consumer rights people ??

• Advertisement

You would have a consumer rights issue for sure,the only thing is,guys dont usually find out for a long time after that they got screwed.It usually happens when they get talking to others or spot prices in magazines.It dosent often happen the knowledged shooter,he seen it all before and hes on the alert with dealers.Dealers a bit like wild preditors,they go after the young and vulnerable.The Cheetah for example sits and studies his pray,he sees a nice healthy fawn,he watches for his chance to pounce and its always easy pray.He avoids the clever adult at all costs,as if he does the meal is never as nice and the Cheetah can often get hurt in the process.Thats dealers for ya,"Predators".

Advertisement