Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

colm tobin

Options
  • 21-05-2009 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

has anyone read " the blackwater lightship" by colm tobin? we read it in english as a class anyone think it was absolutely rubbish? story and narrative was terrible and the resolution was not good at all !!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

you are correct IMO, a really bad book, couldn't get over the fact that this was lauded from a great height, I was so dumbfounded that I read The Master -in case I was missing something - now that is a great book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

i mean talk about crap " it was shortlisted for the booker prize " so wat if it was it is still bloody rubbish the narritve consists of he said she said he asked wtf ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

I guess because it "bravely tackled" the homosexual and AIDS subjects in bleary old Ireland it had to be considered breakthrough. The style is plodding and clumsy and the characters are weak. I forgot it made the booker shortlist. Still though, read the Master before giving up on Toibin.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fox McCloud

We read it in a third yr english module would you believe!
    shoddy work alright..
    The course angle was more about the progression of 'the irish family' in irish literature so it wasnt too bad for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭REPSOC1916

Did think it was somewhat lacking in narrative but I actually liked it.

Though to be honest I had to study Lies of Silence by Brian Moore as well for Comparative. That was terrible. They may as well and end the charade and put something by Frederick Forsyth on the course if thats the sort of quality they're looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Must be in the minority here, I loved The Blackwater Lightship. Thought it was very understated and so much of it just felt true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

as a comparative text it just about works but to the person who loved it I must question did u not find the ending terrible???? I will try that other book by tobin before I express any views but in fairness if this is one of his best I dread to think what the rest us like:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 paoloiaquinta

forget the lightship....banville's "the sea" was far superior. or if you want a really knock out book then "on chesil beach" by ian mcewan is fantastic

Advertisement