Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work as an extra

Options
  • 21-05-2009 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm interested in working as a film/theatre extra. Does anyone know how to get this without paying the subscription costs associated with movieextras.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

• Registered Users Posts: 26 singingfish

Most large productions will have someone employed as an Extras Co-ordinator. They will be the people who will actually contact Movie Extras to place ads for extras and they would just use a service like ME because its an easy way for them to contact a lot of people quickly. If you don't want to pay the subscription fees to ME's service you just have to do a bit more legwork yourself to find out who the Extras Co-ordinators are.

You need to find out what productions are shooting (try the SIPTU chaser list, keep an eye on the Irish Film Board website for news, Filmbase and Film Ireland websites, filmmakersnetwork.ie, the Irish film and tv network). Once you know what's shooting you need to get the contact details for the production company - give them a call and then ask them for the contact details for whoever is looking after their extras casting. If they don't have a dedicated co-ordinator, chances are this will be done by their 2nd Assistant Director (2nd AD). You should then politely contact the 2nd AD or the co-ordinator and give them your details. Don't get pushy, just let them know you are interested and available, they will keep your details on file and the will contact you when they need you but if they think you are likely to be a pain in the ass they will bin your details.

As 2nd ADs all work freelance and move from production to production they always like to have have files on people who are willing to work as extras, so if you can get a list of 2nd ADs from SIPTU you could try contacting them and askign them to keep your details on file in case they need extras for anything in the future.

Extras in theatre are much less common - very few productions ever need extras. The exception at the moment is The Shawshank Redemption and that production has caused uproar with EQUITY, the actors union, because they weren't going to pay any of their extras. I think they may now have agreed to pay the extras some fee, but they won't say how much. So, you may not have much luck getting extra work in theatre. For what its worth you may be able to get a list of theatre companies from Theatre Forum Ireland and again its probably best just to send your details to the main producers there. But after the Shawshank fiasco you'll probably need to have your union card sorted before they'd be able to consider you even if they did need extras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm going to go to that Tudors thing tomorrow. Anybody able to fill me in on what to expect? :) I won't have to audition or somethin will I? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Dave! wrote: »
    I'm going to go to that Tudors thing tomorrow. Anybody able to fill me in on what to expect? :) I won't have to audition or somethin will I? :o

No. Keep in mind an extra's place in the pecking order of a film set is somewhere like this.

1 Cast.

2 Producer.

3 Director.

4 HoDs.

5 Crew.

6 Runners.

7 Scenery

8 Equipment.

9 Costumes.

10 Extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

I was talking to my sister earlier and she seemed to think that an equity card or something similar was required for extras work in Ireland.

Is there any truth in that?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 103 Verified rep MovieExtras.ie: Derek

Back in the 90's you had to have an equity card to be an actor and be registered with Equity for extra work. Due to various EU rulings on working this is no longer the case. Thus anyone can be an extra or actor.

For those serious about acting, having an equity card is invaluable, particulary if you want to get work on the bigger home growen productions.

BTW, another good resource for info about extra work and acting is CrookedHouse.ie

(Derek from MovieExtras.ie)

Still no word from the Tudors people for me... Oh well

they are filming until the Autumn, so there is still hope

Thanks Derek! Put in a good word for me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Thanks Derek! Put in a good word for me ;)

I got a phone call from them last week for work. So they are shooting now, so you might get lucky. Just bear in mind you may only get a day's notice.

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    I got a phone call from them last week for work. So they are shooting now, so you might get lucky. Just bear in mind you may only get a day's notice.
    Did you end up going then? :eek:

I may email them

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Did you end up going then? :eek:

I may email them

Yeah, i was free the following day. It's good money for very little work and a lot of fun.
    Once you went to the audtion (well filling in a form and getting a photo taken), you should be on their books. I wouldn't bother emailing them. they mightn't like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I was an extra for ten years, late 90s on. One rule - a set is not an autograph convention. . . the main reason they pay you is not to bother the actors.
    Oh and writing EQUITY on your sign out chit can be handy on smaller independent movies..if they run into financial troubles (rem The Sparrow Trap anybody) the extras get paid last. If they think you have a card you might get lucky. Other than that, have fun. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

i heard movieextras.ie where having some sort of meet n greet open day type deal this weekend in Dublin. Everyone is apparently welcome.....think i seen an ad in the Metro about it.

yeah, its an annual open day that we do, you can check more details on our site - www.MovieExtras.ie (nb we do charge for the service that we provide)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 another1

it´s all about money :S...

for members it is a yearly fee of 89. For production comapnies it is free to use the service, thus any comapny (and student productions/zero budget etc) can recruit people through the site. There are about 500 production companies and casting directors registered to use the service.

We do provide a casting service (Fair City, RAW etc) but tend to make a loss on this side of the busienss thus to keep the busienss going (there are eight people employed) we need to charge members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

charging people for extra work is not right and it should not be aloud. its not right,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

cable842 wrote: »
    charging people for extra work is not right and it should not be aloud

I agree, it should be very, very quiet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Keep an eye out on websites like www.nixers.com but just ignore the moviesexrtras ads :D

I was only an extra once but it was one of the best experiences of my life. It was on the King Arthur movie years ago. The money was pretty good too :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

I went for king arthur as we had to get half naked in the room full of guys. and then lorrine keane she started taking pictures of use ha ha,

but we went on the wrong day for it. we went on the red saxon guys day so we were in a room with a bunch of red heads.

was good crack. heard the payed guys that had to wear a suit of armor ever day a 150 euro a day. I love extra work it is so much fun and you get to meet so many stars its great crack.

We were in a film with julianne moore she was hot in person but in the films shes not that hot. more hot in person.

But the Point being it makes me sick that Movies Extras Charge people to hang around a set all day.

They should not charge people at all its not right at all and should be put a stop too it.

cool mate yea I did use to check nixers but not done it in a while. will do mate.

Just to clarify, people do get paid when they are on set, this can range from e77 to e150 for a full day and up to e8,000 for an advert (recently we had two members receiving this). Of course we do work with student and zero budget productions where there is no payment, but generally for stuff like this the artist will be given lines or maybe an acting part which is good for the cv

People pay to be listed on our directory which is available to production companies and casting directors in Ireland. This can save an individual time and costs, compared to contacting the 500 production companies who are registered to use our service

We are currently involved in a production which requires between 200 to 300 people every week, also we have about 10 production companies viewing cv's every week for drama to advert purposes

There is no obligation to register with ourselves, as other posters have noted, check out places like filmbase, IFTN, nixers etc for details of some jobs, though we have been involved in most of the productions this year. We also, have a page dedicated to tv productions requiring audience and participants

Derek
    MovieExtras.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Actually I think Movieextras.ie is getting some unfair treatment here. As Derek said, you do not have to join them but if it is something you are serious about, you are probably more likely to get roles by joining them. Apart from being listed on their system for potential roles, you will be in the loop of upcoming productions.
    What is it? €89 for a year?? Seems reasonable enough for me considering you only need one or two roles in a year and you will make that back and then some and chances are you will make a lot more than that.
    Think of movieextras as bing like a dating service, sure you do not need to join a dating service but you might be more likely to find someone than just hanging around clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Jesus Christ, stop whinging and learn to spell

Yes, it DOES cost €89 to join Movie Extras, but I earned €185 for two days work on Fair City a couple of weeks back. They're not charging people to hang about movie sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Harpic

I was thinking of sending in my details to Movieextras sure I have nothing to lose.
    Sure its only 89euro.Maybe someone out there will think I be ideal for some sort of role .
    I cant sing -cant dance--Perfect

Only thing is I amnt sure how legit they are.:confused:

Movie Extras are fairly well regarded as far as I can see... I know several people who registered with them and got a bit of work. Dunno how the recession has hit the film/tv industry, but certainly a couple of years back you would have made more than your registration fee back in a day's work.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Harpic

Cheers Dave.

I'll also mention you in my Oscar acceptance speech:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Harpic wrote: »
    I was thinking of sending in my details to Movieextras sure I have nothing to lose.
    Sure its only 89euro.Maybe someone out there will think I be ideal for some sort of role .
    I cant sing -cant dance--Perfect

Only thing is I amnt sure how legit they are.:confused:

I've nothing to do with Movieextras but they have been around for a few years. I know a lot of people who were and are extras since the 1990's and they're members with no complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 movieextra1

MOD NOTE: Post snipped because of unsubstantiated claims & the lack of link rather than any fictional conspiracy. Copying & pasting without a link is straight-up copyright infringement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

No doubt this will be removed by the moderator, but you never know. Maybe we could have some comment from Movieextras.

You should provide a link to that if there's one available.

Also - isn't there comment from Movie Extras in the article?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement