Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a Law Degree essential???

Options
  • 21-05-2009 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi ok l really need some honest advice. I have wanted to study law since l was 12 years old. I studied so hard for my leaving cert l and didnt get the points which devastated me:(:(:(. Anyway l had enough points at the time to study Commerce and Irish Degree. I never enjoyed it coz l always wanted to study law but l managed to get through it. In my final year l got an appendicitus and missed the first two months of college which effected my overall result l got second class honors grade 2.

In 2009 l have sat all the FE1's and am awaiting the results of the final three in June 2009. Obviously there is no sign of an apprenticeship so l have decided on further study and want to do either an llm/llb in UCC. The entry requirements are high and they all want students with a law degree.

I have no idea what to do at this stage in my career. I hate the fact that l dont have a law degree and l feel employers wont give me a chance because of this. Added to the fact that my overall commerce result is not top class. I don't know what to do. I have sat the FE1's would doing a Law Degree now be going backwards? Plus its so expensive and l am only working part-time. I am a really hard worker but since the leaving cert l regretted not doing law. I did get accepted into the evening BCL degree immediately after graduating in UCC but i didnt take it because l was advised it would be a long haul four years four nights a week and with my Commerce Degree already l was eligible to sit the Fe1's. My Fe1 results are ok considering l didnt study law but l want them to be higher. Any advice on someone who was in a similar position and was successful? I would really appreciate it:( :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

You're kind of all over the place there, law, right.
    Well, what kind of law do you want to do, and do you want to be a barrister or solicitor? If you can get an apprenticeship, grab it and never let go, qualifying as a solicitor is brilliant but you can after 3 years do the BL and become a barrister. There is also the Grad Dip Legal Studies in King's Inns and the MLegSc in QUB. So you still have lots of options for further education, which will really stand to you. Plus passing all 8 FE-1s is some achievement, it's nothing to be snubbed, especially for a non-law graduate. If I were you, I would look for some sort of an apprenticeship, even unpaid, qualifying as a solicitor is really, really good. I hope that helps, good luck with whatever you do anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jasmine198523

Hi firstly thanks for your reply! Yeah you are right it is an achievement to get to where i am at this stage and considering l passed four of the Fe1s first time thats great. I just feel there are gaps that l cant fill in and knowledge i dont have becoz l dont have a law degree. I dont really know what area l want to specialize in because the only law l have studied to date are the Fe1 subjects and to be honest l enjoyed them all. I suppose when doing the apprenticeship you gain all the expertise that comes along with being a qualifed solicitor. I havent gotten any signs of an apprenticeship but l would definetly do it unpaid as l am living at home but nothing seems to be out there. I have tried!!! Must wait to see if i get all the Fe1's results in two weeks. I will probably focus on the solicitor route for the time being. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Well good luck with the results, if it is more knowledge you're looking for then it might help doing a postgrad of sorts, the reason why I threw in the MLegSc up there is that it's a 2-year masters, so at least you can learn the key taught aspects of law in particular the stuff not covered in the FE-1s (Jurisprudence etc...) and then there's a thesis which is pretty useful for the cv and there's also a placement scheme with the course that can place you in a firm etc... not so bad then? To be fair you're going down the solicitor route, so it might help getting more practical experience, and try not to worry about the academic side of things, you've got the FE-1s, that's what matters regardless of your previous qualifications. With the way the economy has gone etc... I would focus upon on trying to get your qualifications recognised abroad (England, Wales, Canada etc...) that's where the jobs appear to be, Ireland's gone to the dogs with apprenticeships. All the best!:pac:

Advertisement