Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tiling - porcelain tiles on underfloor heating

Options
  • 21-05-2009 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

I want to lay porcelain tiles on a concrete floor over underfloor heating.

The floor isn't perfectly level, and I'm wondering about using either leveling compound or just laying a thicker bed of flexible adhesive as recommended by the builder.

Can anyone give advice and/or opinions on the max depth I should use for the adhesive?

Thanks

Enda
    --

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

You must use ''flexi'' adhesive which is heat resistant for tiling over underfloor heating. just incase you didnt know. not sure about dept and levels sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Thanks, I had checked that alright but just wanted to hear about the advised depth...

Last thing I want is to have it too thick and have tiles popping up!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Westwood wrote: »
    You must use ''flexi'' adhesive which is heat resistant for tiling over underfloor heating. just incase you didnt know. not sure about dept and levels sorry

and flexable floor grout as well, you can add some add mix if your worriied about the flexability your tiler should advise you

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DMCD25

The floor isn't perfectly level, and I'm wondering about using either leveling compound or just laying a thicker bed of flexible adhesive as recommended by the builder.

You want your porcelain to look its best dont you. It sure does cost enough to purchase so best do it right first time round. The builder is just the builder. He is not a tiler so let him not be recommending about tiling. To get porcelain tiles looking there best you really need to have the floors as level as possible so I would reccomend levelling compound. If you choose not to use levelling compound, after your tiler has finished find the biggest level you can and put it on the floor in a few different spots and you will soon see why you should have levelled the floor first. A 10ml depth of adhesive is the best. No less than 10ml.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 shaneh34

Thought i would just give you a bit of advice.

Tiling to underfloor heating is allowed and yes using a flexible adhesive is the way to go. if you dont use a flexible adhesive then standard adhesives will not react with the floors movements, which will casue cracking etc, in any type of tiling whatever the tile or whatever the substrate i would recommend that you use a flexi adhesive anyway.

I take it that if you have used underfloor heating with pipes? then your builder would have prob powerfloated the floor making it as level as possible. Sometimes the human eye can not see the levels best that you do as much investigation on this as you possibly can!

The thickness / Tolerance of adhesive:

Nearly all adhesives have a max and a min tolerance that they can go from and to. Most Adhesives have a min bed of up to 10mm which in some cases is not enough, if not there is a PTB Flexible adhesive that you can get that will go up to 25mm. Its the best you can get when it comes to adhesive.

If you need a price on the adhesive give me a PM and i will be able to help.

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Thanks for your comments, am in agreement about the builder's opinion.. at the end of the day its best to go by what the professional says for sure!

Thanks also Shane for the advice - PM sent.

Advertisement