Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Mobile not available locally.

• 21-05-2009 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Just wondering if anyone has any advise or experience in buying mobiles from Hong Kong.
    I want to update my Samsung 'Flip Phone' (Clamshell) with a newer model. I am adamant on sticking with a 'Flip phone' type; however I am also looking for some particular features including 'Voice Dialing'.
    I have read all the reviews that I could find and looked at reviews on YouTube - ; I have settled on a Samsung G400 Soul.

Problem is - this phone was never released here at all and the only place I can find it available is on an Ebay shop in Hong Kong called I-Chose. The credentials for the shop seem good and the phone is definitely the one that I want. - Question is: Do I Buy or Not.

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Welcome to boards :)

Well if you do go with the G400 it will work here fine. How much is it going to cost you? Is it worth it considering the no warranty/ hard to return etc.

What other flip phones you even considered, and do they have to be samsung?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭davidod1

Thanks Davy for the welcome and the reply.

The make/model of phone is something that I have been working on for about 6 months. There are many features that I do require and I still want it to be flip type. Needless to say it is Sim Free - it can take 2 sims. I will be using it quite frequently abroad.

Out of interest there is a video review on YouTube at this link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX05h6olFu8

The Cost: approx €200 delivered.

The warranty question is very real though. Having said that I have yet to have a phone give me trouble, but maybe I have just been lucky.

Dave

davidod1 wrote: »
    Thanks Davy for the welcome and the reply.

The make/model of phone is something that I have been working on for about 6 months. There are many features that I do require and I still want it to be flip type. Needless to say it is Sim Free - it can take 2 sims. I will be using it quite frequently abroad.

Out of interest there is a video review on YouTube at this link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX05h6olFu8

The Cost: approx €200 delivered.

The warranty question is very real though. Having said that I have yet to have a phone give me trouble, but maybe I have just been lucky.

Dave

Well you have put a lot of effort into it so it seems like a good decision if its the phone you want. Its not a bad deal either for what your getting in it. The big downside for me personally would be the no wifi.

Does it take 2 sims or did you mean to say dual screen?

Yes - both dual sims and 2 touch screens. I didn't pick up the absence of the wifi. I don't think that will be a problem for me though.

My main question was whether buying such a pricey item from Hong Kong and especially with virtually no redress if it was faulty was totally daft or just slightly daft.

Dave.

Yes - both dual sims and 2 touch screens. I didn't pick up the absence of the wifi. I don't think that will be a problem for me though.

My main question was whether buying such a pricey item from Hong Kong and especially with virtually no redress if it was faulty was totally daft or just slightly daft.

Dave.

Its not daft if you want that phone. You will have redress if it arrives DOA, after that would be a different story. If you can live with losing the money if it goes faulty sometime down the road, buy it. You really dont have a huge variety of phones to choose from with your requirements and the G400 seems to meet them. If still want more advice about the buying, ask over in Online Buying & Auctions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

There'll be import charges to be factored in as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Dave.

I would say slightly daft. :)

However, if you take the necessary precautions, such as checking out the seller and make yourself aware of their return policies, then you should be fine.

I have used Expansys.ie before, the phone I purchased from them was the O2 Atom and it came from Hong Kong. No problems, apart from the fact it was a turkey of a phone, and cost me €750, but that's another matter.

Customs duty is also a consideration.

By all accounts you will get stopped for customs of approx. one third of the listed price, I believe. It's something like 21% + Duty + handling fee. Don't hold me to those figures, though.

Thanks to all for your help.
    Looks like I may budget about another €6o/70 for duties etc.
    I like the phone and I think it will meet most if not all of my requirements - so maybe I'll just take the chance and go for it.
    Dave

Advertisement