Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying an XBox

• 21-05-2009 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I am trading in my PS2 and Nintendo Wii and going to buy an Xbox 360.

Can anyone clarify some points for me?

Can I hook it up through my wireless internet and download game demos for free? Is this a free service or is this Xbox Live?

What is the best type to get "Arcade Console" or one with storage?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

If you'll be downloading games or demos don't get the arcade as you'll quickly run out of space.

You'll need a wireless adapter to use the wireless, cost about 70 euro new. 50 second hand or new if you buy online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

get an extra long ethernet cable. Ya have to pay to play online. Get the pro xbox, arcade be no good for downloading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

warrenaldo wrote: »

Can I hook it up through my wireless internet

e45.54 MyMemory
    e35.88 DealExtreme

You can also get a 13 month Gold Subscription for Xbox Live for around e34 also on ebay i.e. here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'd recommend the pro (60GB) console rather than the Elite unless there's a good deal available on the Elite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭IsMiseConor

Definetely get a Pro. They have it for 200 euro in xtravision with mirrors edge and some other game(dead space or resi 5 I think). It's a limited offer though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Think this is a good offer here on Play.com
    http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/9545638/Xbox-360-Premium-Console-with-60GB-HDD-+-Burnout-Paradise-The-Ultimate-Box-+-Trivial-Pursuit-+-Extra-Wireless-Controller/Product.html

If you get that, and a subscription from the internet you should be ready to go, I use the laptop to send the wi-fi signal to the 360 instead of buying the adapter, works just as well and it's free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

If your just looking to download game demo's you just need a silver xbox live membership which is free.

To play against people, you need to get a gold subscription which isn't free.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

Xtra-vision are selling the Pro Console with Mirror's Edge, and Dead Space or Mercenaries 2 for €200.

Thats a fantastic deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Think this is a good offer here on Play.com
    http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/9545638/Xbox-360-Premium-Console-with-60GB-HDD-+-Burnout-Paradise-The-Ultimate-Box-+-Trivial-Pursuit-+-Extra-Wireless-Controller/Product.html

If you get that, and a subscription from the internet you should be ready to go, I use the laptop to send the wi-fi signal to the 360 instead of buying the adapter, works just as well and it's free!

cant buy electric items from play in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭legend365

I'd suggest not buying one and getting a playstation 3.

The Xbox is a flawed piece of hardware. I've had 2 and both have RROD'd.

I dont even play them that often!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

legend365 wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

legend365 wrote: »

legend temp ban for trolling, in future read the charter please:
    No more xbox vs ps3 threads or similar. If you must discuss the pro/con's of either console do so in the general game forum. You wont get a straight answer in the official xbox forum (for obvious reasons) and the thread will usually end up in a flame war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MarthaT

We got ours at argos for a pretty good price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Sarn

Brimmy wrote: »
    You'll need a wireless adapter to use the wireless, cost about 70 euro new. 50 second hand or new if you buy online.

For somewhere local Smyth's are selling them new for €49.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I couldn't recommend buying an Xbox online in case something happens as they are unreliable consoles so you might have problems trying to return it.

I'd recommend buying from Xtravision. My PS3 broke one month after I bought it an I returned it without receipt and they replaced it no problem. They did tell me to put the replacement receipt in a safe place in case I need it again :p

I'd still recommend a 360 but you should be aware of a few things. If all the games you want are available for PS3, you should look into it as the online is free, don't know about the quality but I've never had any problems.

On 360 online costs but you can get it cheap online. With a silver account, you have to wait an extra week for demos than if you have a gold account I think. Not sure if this restriction is still in place. Under no circumstances buy live from Ms on the console as this is a subscription purchase and it will auto renew even if your not playing online and it costs almost twice as much as buying on ebay if you shop around.

Use an ethernet port if possible, you can get a wireless bridge instead of using the official adapter too. This might work out cheaper. I have the wireless adapter and it works grand. I actually don't need mine so if your near Maynooth I might be able to sell you mine. I moved my console into another room and its now practically touching my router so I don't need it. Still using it because I'm too lazy to swap out the adapter for a cable :P

Get as large a drive as you can afford, they are proprietary so you can't swap them out using non-official ones and you'll want to install games as this will stop the disc driving spinning. This will protect the DVD drive as it will see less use so will last longer and it will reduce noise when playing games and prevent disc damage. If your getting Halo 3, don't install it as it slows load times, it will speed up or make no difference in most other games.

If your playing online then you'll need Gold, I think everyone goes through a phase of demo gorging when they first get the console :D All arcade games have trials avaiable too so never feel like you have to buy something without trying it.

I can't think of anything else to be aware of. Just keep it in an area where the back fans aren't blocked so the fan can get as much hot air out as possible and try to protect it from dust to ensure reliability. It isn't really that fragile after revisions so you shouldn't have problems but better to play it safe.

Advertisement