Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard is GAMSAT?

Options
  • 21-05-2009 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi all. I know there are many GAMSAT threads already in place but my situation is slightly different to most because I have not studied any science subject for over 10 years:
    - I am thinking very seriously of doing GAMSAT but am worried about the difficulty of the exam
    - I am 31 years old
    - I have not studied chemistry/biology/physics since my leaving cert (A student)
    - I have worked in finance for most of my career
    - I have always performed v well academically

So the question is: can someone like me who has not studied science for so long really get to Med via GAMSAT? How much study/work would be involved? How much commitment would be involved? I realise this would be a huge challenge and hence I need to be sure that I would have a reasonable chance before going for it.

I would appreciate all opinions.

Thanks.

G.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

Hi Gordon,

I was in a similar position to yourself 6 months ago. 31, always wanted to do medicine. A bit intimidated by the hysteria you read on the internet about the gamsat. Thought about doing the exam last year and didn't, then at christmas just decided to do it. Studied well for a couple of months then stopped and didnt do much for the last month or so. Got my result on monday and was well above the cut off marks for all the colleges in ireland. delighted!

Sections I and II should be no problem.

Section I just takes practice and I wasnt that good at english in secondary school but by practicing you get to know what to look for.

Section II, the essays is pretty easy to do well enough in. But you must make yourself practice writing essay (something I neglected)

Section III will be the tough one for yourself. The standard is above leaving cert level (I used A level revision books recommended in Griffith Gamsat Review) but if you are good academically and have a head for science its definitely doable. Also, its not all about knowledge a lot is stuff you really can't study for and how quickly you assimilate information and figure out what they are looking for , aptitude is probably something you either have or dont and this is what separates people at the end of it.

I had the advantage of doing a degree in science finishing in 2000 so the stuff wasnt totally alien to me. But still it was 9 years with no science.

I'd say go for it. You'll only end up wondering what if, if you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gordonmedques

Thanks for the reply Finty. Its good to hear that people in similar positions to myself have done it. Your suggestion that part 3 is the problem for me really hits the nail on the head. I guess its just a matter of me deciding whether or not I am prepared to commit the time to the study despite the fact that there are no guarantees, i.e. I could study hard for 6 months and still fail via gamsat...it is def this fear of commiting so much time and then potentially failing that is holding me back...but I suppose that is the whole point! Who dares wins etc! Will give it more thought.

Even in Section III there's a lot you can do without too much hardship. The Physics is only leaving cert level, Biology questions generally can be worked out from the data given in the question if you have a good brain for rationalising things out, I found it quite hard to study the biology stuff.

Chemistry on the other hand requires a bit more work, although the book Organic Chemistry for dummies is excellent and you could work through this part in a week or so. Organic chemistry is a large part of the exam. The other bit centre on thermodynamics, rates of reactions, chemical equilibria, ph that sort of stuff all doable. Don't let it put you off. I wish I'd made the choice to do it a year earlier, I really do.

I used the Letts AS and A2 "in a week" books, they are small and cheap about 9euro each off amazon and as in the title take you through the A level syllabus in a week. It'd be a good start and you'd be able to gauge how you were getting on early enough as they are full of problems. Constantly doing problems is the best way to study for this exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cill5

Hi all. I know there are many GAMSAT threads already in place but my situation is slightly different to most because I have not studied any science subject for over 10 years:
    - I am thinking very seriously of doing GAMSAT but am worried about the difficulty of the exam
    - I am 31 years old
    - I have not studied chemistry/biology/physics since my leaving cert (A student)
    - I have worked in finance for most of my career
    - I have always performed v well academically

So the question is: can someone like me who has not studied science for so long really get to Med via GAMSAT? How much study/work would be involved? How much commitment would be involved? I realise this would be a huge challenge and hence I need to be sure that I would have a reasonable chance before going for it.

I would appreciate all opinions.

Thanks.

G.
    You sound like you'll have no problems! Just takes a bit of work!

I'm in the final year of a finance/business degree and did the GAMSATs in March. I got a score of 54 with about 4 weeks proper preperation and I was trying to complete my final year project at the time too! It was really just a test run and I recon I did ok! I'm going to sit them again this Sept in London. I'll be able to study without any distractions over the summer!!

One recommendation would be try and get your hands on some of the Gradmed notes!! They're very good! You don't really need to do the course, it's very expensive and the notes are good enough really!!

Best of luck with it!!

cill5 & finty, thanks for your responses.

i am now seriously considering doing gamsat (this would really be a huge move for me!) as a result of the positive things you had to say...it is simply a case of commiting myself and going for it. if it doesn't work out then so be it. now its just a matter of research and reading materials etc etc...

good luck.

G

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

cill5 & finty, thanks for your responses.

i am now seriously considering doing gamsat (this would really be a huge move for me!) as a result of the positive things you had to say...it is simply a case of commiting myself and going for it. if it doesn't work out then so be it. now its just a matter of research and reading materials etc etc...

good luck.

G

Thats it man, go for it...
    Just decide to do it, and then go for it 100%.
    You can sit it in London in Sept as a trial run if you like...

I wont lie to you, its not easy. I wouldnt wish the three months i spent at the start of the year on anyone.
    But it is very do-able with hard work and belief.

Look what awaits you...
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0526/education.html

Best of luck...

Hi all. Following your positive responses I have done quite a bit of research and am going to sit the UK Gamsat in Sep. The reality is that I will prob do poorly in section 3 given my time constraints and my lack of science exposure since leav cert. But I will then just go for Dublin in 2010. But given that I work full-time could anyone offer suggestions on what I should study for Sep? My initial thoughts based on what I have read is to just concentrate on chemisty...mostly organic (organic chem for dummies etc). I was also thinking of looking for some grinds/a tutor etc. Any thoughts? Thanks again...

This thread from last year was a good start for me:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055415394

If you are looking at getting some grinds, I'd be willing to give you some help. (Looking at ways to make some money to fund the next 4 years!!!)

I got 79 in section III so I think I've a good handle on how to approach it.

I can also help with suggesting books and other material that I found useful.

I'm in Dublin so not sure how that would suit.

If you are interested PM me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Deans

Hi Finty,

Just found your thread while searching for a english tutor for GAMSATS UK this september. I have a degree in science like yourself and I am currently doing a PhD in genetics. I recently sat the GAMSATS in March and didn't do particularly well, probably due to the fact I had no study done. It was more of a trial to see how much work I need to do and I can comfortably say a lot!

You post says you are interested in giving grinds. I give grinds myself to leaving certs and understand it takes a bit of time to organise yourself for them, would you be comfortable to start soon? I'm pretty eager to get these exams
    A

Hi Deans,

I've sent you a PM. I'd be best to give grinds on section I (63) and Section III (79). Writing essays really isnt my forte.

Finty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Hey Guys,

Im thinking about doing med also. But I dont have a science background. I did nt do too well in the Leaving but i have an arts degree. I did Chemistry and physics in school.

The problem is I dont really know where to start. Ive just come across this thread and googled the GAMSAT. I was considering doing the Leaving again and applying as a mature student as Im 24 now.

Any advice!

Apologies if this is off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Have you got a 2.1?
    If so, then definitely go the GAMSAT route.
    I think arts is recognised by GAMSAT.

LC would take 2years to get nearly 600points, or so they say...

Gamsat can be studied for in 3months or less and while you do have to do very well in it, i dont think its the same work load as 600 points.
    Its probably harder, but the workload isnt as much (though it could be considered close. 1st year college level of Biology, Orgo Chem, English. Leaving Cert level physics.)

Then 4 years later you're a doctor. 1year shorter than undergrad

So you'd could save 3 years with the Gamsat route...
    Age isnt really an issue. At 24 you're around the same age as most grad med students, if not younger.

So id say Gamsat, over LC. I had the same dilemma and went Gamsat.
    Good luck!

I got a 2:2 I was 2 marks of a 2:1 and HETAC have since changed the marking so if i got the same result now id have a 2:1.

Do I have any other options?

ryoishin wrote: »
    I got a 2:2 I was 2 marks of a 2:1 and HETAC have since changed the marking so if i got the same result now id have a 2:1.

Do I have any other options?
    Dude, that's very harsh!

I definitely think there is a glitch in the system when considering the grade of one's degree. I mean, no offense intended in what I'm about to say but someone could be studying pharmacy or elec eng or one of those impossibly hard courses and end up with a 2.2. Whereas someone studying arts can get a 2.1, be successful in the GAMSATs and do medicine. It doesn't add up in my opinion.

In regards to your options. You could ask for a re-check, you can repeat your final year, or you could think about the leaving cert again... There are options available, maybe you should speak to the careers department at your college about this or someone that can offer you some more advice, although from previous experience they're a useless shower of.....

There is also the option of applying as a mature student. You should consult the relevant university's mature student office for details on this, i know in Ireland you must have reached the age of 23 before the January of the year that you apply.

Have you sat the GAMSATs and been successful by the way?!

Best of luck with it all anyway! I'm currently waiting on my college results atm... Nervous times my friend, nervous times!!

My degree was in Theology (I usually keep that to myself).

No I have nt sat GAMSAT. Ive only started looking into this. To apply as a mature student I would still have to have passed GAMSAT?

I totally agree with you about the degree stuff.

ryoishin wrote: »
    My degree was in Theology (I usually keep that to myself).

No I have nt sat GAMSAT. Ive only started looking into this. To apply as a mature student I would still have to have passed GAMSAT?

I totally agree with you about the degree stuff.
    You don't need to sit the GAMSATs in order to apply as a mature student. If you apply as a mature student you are applying for the 5 year medical degree. With the GAMSATs and a 2.1 you are admitted to the Graduate Entry Medical program which lasts 4 years.

As I said, you will have to contact the relevant universities in order to find out what the full entry requirements are for a mature applicant. I do know you must sit an exam called the HPAT which is a lot easier than the GAMSATs (it is more based on aptitude) and also you are required to have at least a HC3 in biology and chemistry in the leaving cert, but if you do not, you can apply and sit the leaving cert that year sitting just biology and chemistry. Competiton for mature student entry is fierce. I know that in UCC last year there were 60 applicants for mature entry to dentistry and only 6 places, so a 1 in 10 chance. I'm not sure about medicine but I assume it's as fierce, or maybe it has subsided due to the introduction of the GEM program, again you'll have to contact the university to find out this.

This is the address for UCC http://www.ucc.ie/en/mature/prospective/programmes/medicine/

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 totoro_kid

Hi there!

I am considering doing the GAMSAT exams in Dublin in the spring of next year. I was looking up some exam guide books today. I found a link to the Griffiths Gamsat Review and was wondering if anybody here has used it and if its worth buying. It's £25 and i'm a poor student so don't want to spend money unnecessarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ni_thaidhg

Hi there,

I sat Gamsat in March. I have some science background from college (anatomy physiology and very basic chemistry and physics). I started studying in January with old notes from college and leaving cert and using Chemistry for Dummies and Organic Chemistry for Dummies. These were all good enough, but my saving grace was Gradmed notes I bought on Ebay. Expensive but well worth it. Had loads of sample papers with answers which really gave direction as to what to learn and how to approach questions. Also used the Gradmed notes for section 1 and 2, don't know how I'd have got through the exam without them as I found the Acer sample papers really hard. Was really happy with my final score, unless there's a drastic change it should guarantee me a place if I decide to go for it (I'm still debating it!).

Apart from using the Gradmed notes, my biggest tip to anyone sitting gamsats in September would be to save the Acer Practise test book to do as a complete run through at some stage in the week before the exam. It gives you a really good idea of timing, (essays in particular) and also the stamina required on the day of the test. It is a LONG day and you get really tired about half way through section 3. Be prepared. (ie, bring red bull and jellies!)

If anyone is looking for study material or has any questions about preparing for the test check out my adverts or pm me.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

"Whether you believe you can or can't do it, your probably right" - Henry Ford

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bill05

Hey Guys
    this topic has motivated me alot towards siting a Gamsat Exam
    I'm a Law Grad Finished My degree last year with a 2.1 so its either FE1(Professional Law Exam) or Gamsat
    Can any one tell me the difference between Mcat and Gamsat
    and how long of a commitment Gamsat is, in terms of hrz of study a day and months !
    thanxs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 yren8514

GAMSAT is designed such that a person with strong reasoning skills and no science background can study independently (self directed learning) and acquire the knowledge to obtain a successful GAMSAT score.

This is not possible for the MCAT. Though both tests essentially suggest introductory level biology, physics, general and organic chemistry, the details/recall required for the MCAT makes it near impossible to be successful without formal training.

A person with little or no science background OR little or no humanities/arts experience/background would need 3-6 hours/day for 3-6 months of efficient study.

NB: to be specific, by intro level sciences: uni level except for physics which is grade 12 equivalent.

Advertisement