Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

These people grind my gears sometimes

Options
  • 21-05-2009 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055567572

I am a fool to even bother? I ask you. Its not like I go around mocking them. I'm pretty sure theyre still just holding one on us for that whole Leprechaun thing. Or something.

You can hear it starting to come crashing down precariously around #73 onward.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's nothing personal, when your empire collapses and the chinese or indians take over the jokes will start about them as well. You'll just have to tough it out i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

The Irish like to ridicule Americans. But then again, they like slagging each other, too. It's the national sport. Generally though, in my experience, the Irish are pretty fond of Americans.

Sure you meet ignorant American tourists in Dublin. They're over here trying to broaden their horizons, they meet some arrogant creeps in a pub who make fun of them, and they go back to the United States thinking the Irish are unfriendly, nasty people.

Irish people often ask me stupid questions about the U.S. The other day someone asked me what winters are like in the U.S. I didn't laugh in her face, I smiled and politely told her that the county is so big that the weather varies greatly depending on which part you're in. It's not that hard to be nice.

I also hear people constantly giving out about "foreigners." When I break in and point out that I'm a foreigner, they say "we don't mean you."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Overheal wrote: »
    I am a fool to even bother? I ask you. Its not like I go around mocking them. I'm pretty sure theyre still just holding one on us for that whole Leprechaun thing. Or something.
    You take it way too seriously, Overheal.

The Irish take the pish out of one another constantly, and everyone else too. The odd one goes overboard, and they're often the ones who can't take it either, I would be the last to deny we have our share of assholes like any country (many of whom seem to have discovered AH) but most people are just messing.

I have American cousins. Do I call them damn Yankees who couldn't find Ireland without a guide-dog? Ofc I do. Do they call me a fupping redneck with a penchant for sheep-shagging? Ofc they do. Do any of us take it seriously? Ofc we don't.

And everyone pulls your leg because everyone knows at this stage that you rise to it every time!!!

And truthfully dude, most Americans really seem to get no grounding at all in European geography (not that my US geography is brilliant, but I have a fair idea of what states and major cities are where, etc.) I was on a train to Dublin a couple of years ago with a couple of Americans, obviously intelligent people, we had some very good conversations about everything from Martin Luther King to the Nuremberg trials. We had almost reached Dublin when they mentioned they were flying out the next day to "your capital city". Em ... whut?! London. That's right, London.

And btw, Mord has a point (however that happened!) ... the dominant superpowers will always be the target for satire on principle.

Plus, and I suspect even you might agree here, dude, Bush did your country NO favours in terms of international reputation.
    The Irish like to ridicule Americans. But then again, they like slagging each other, too. It's the national sport. Generally though, in my experience, the Irish are pretty fond of Americans.
    That's about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Good post ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Overheal wrote: »
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055567572

You can hear it starting to come crashing down precariously around #73 onward.

Wow.

I know this is US politics and all but its not Boards.us, in other words I don't really think this is meant to be a place for Americans to complain about Irish people talking about particularly embarrassing encounters with Americans. Your still talking to Irish people here.

Anyway people arnt making up these stories they are all real encounters. When people stop running into Americans who don't know that Australia exists or when 9/11 happened, or who think that Ireland is a place in the UK/London, these stories will stop. Its nothing to do with people having a problem with Americans or America being a super power.

If you ask most Irish people/others who have these stories about Americans, if they thought the american was a nice person, they'll more then likley think they were. What I find interesting is the Americans view the irish as being a really open and friendly bunch, when really, Americans tend to be more so then us, at least compared to Dublin anyway.

But I really dunno what you were thinking making this thread in US politics :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    But I really dunno what you were thinking making this thread in US politics :confused:

Agreed :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement