Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEC Final: Leicester Tigers v Leinster - pre/during/post thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Phrio

Don't care - when's the Champions League final on man??
    Peter B wrote: »
    I was speaking about 2 massive matches. In my opinion Quins played poorly which resulted in a 1 point win to Leinster. Leinster were great underdogs and looked sketchy going into the Munster match. Fortunately for them they raised their game to play excellently in Croke Park. Had they played to the same level as the Quins match they would have been well beaten I reckon.

Also the results against Edinburgh in the HC were 16-27 to Leinster in round 1 and 12-3 to Leinster in round 6. Not exactly 2 massive results on a European level.

After beating Toulouse in the pool stages in 07-08 comp they lost 25-9 to the Tigers.

In 06-07 after beating Edinburgh 49-10, Leinster lost 19-13 against Gloucester.

In 05-06 after beating Toulouse 35-41 in Toulouse, Leinster lost 6-30 against Munster.

In 04-05 after hammering Treviso 57-17, Leinster lost to the Tigers 13-29 in Lansdowne.

In 02-03 after beating a strong Biarritz team 18-13, Leinster lost to Perpingan in Lansdowne 14-21.

Hopefully they can prove me wrong, its just in my opinion I cannot see it happening. I feel Leinster need more experience at this level before they manage to steal a win against the best team in the UK and arguably the best team in Europe over the past 10 years.

Top of my head, I think they had a very good win before Toulouse away win in quarters, everyone always forgets about it cause of Munster match but think it was away against english opposition.. Sale if I remember correctly

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Twas against Bath and they absolutely hammered them.
    I was speaking about 2 massive matches. In my opinion Quins played poorly which resulted in a 1 point win to Leinster. Leinster were great underdogs and looked sketchy going into the Munster match. Fortunately for them they raised their game to play excellently in Croke Park. Had they played to the same level as the Quins match they would have been well beaten I reckon.

I would tend to disagree with your assessment of the Quins game. Leinster would have lost had they played like that against Munster, as Munster are a better team, but I thought the performance against Quins was a good one and it was certainly a tough match.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

Peter B wrote: »

Leinster beat Quins the exact same way as they beat Munster - by a truly superb, impenetrable defensive display. The fact that Leinster's backline clicked against Munster meant that the margin of victory increased hugely, but the game was still won in defence and turnover ball at vital moments.

You think Quins played poorly in the QF, but none of the Quins players said they felt that after the match, nor did the Sky pundits seem to think so. I don't think Quins played badly at all. I think Leinster should be given credit for putting in a massive away performance against one of the form sides of the GP, and for showing true grit and immense composure under pressure.

Scoreline was small but that was a huge win for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Leinster
    ALH-06 wrote: »
    Leinster beat Quins the exact same way as they beat Munster - by a truly superb, impenetrable defensive display. The fact that Leinster's backline clicked against Munster meant that the margin of victory increased hugely, but the game was still won in defence and turnover ball at vital moments.

You think Quins played poorly in the QF, but none of the Quins players said they felt that after the match, nor did the Sky pundits seem to think so. I don't think Quins played badly at all. I think Leinster should be given credit for putting in a massive away performance against one of the form sides of the GP, and for showing true grit and immense composure under pressure.

Scoreline was small but that was a huge win for Leinster.

Yet loads of Leinster supporters are saying that Leicester are ****e for their performance in the final against LI ......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Stev_o wrote: »
    Yet loads of Leinster supporters are saying that Leicester are ****e for their performance in the final against LI ......

Not all are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

IMO if you just take head-to-head, form over the past month or so, and team balance I'd say Leinster have an ever so slight edge.

But, given that it's a HEC final, and that it's Leicester's fifth appearance, plus with the experience they can boast and their bench - I'd say Leicester are favourites, no question.

Despite that, I think that Leinster are fully capable of winning tomorrow, but the question is what type of performance they produce, how they use their grey matter, and how does the pressure of the occasion get to them. Leinster have to play their own game, and cannot afford to be dragged into a war of attrition, as I feel that the Tigers will just strangle them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Going to be one hell of a day today.

Allez les Bleus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Predictions schmidictions. Everyone thought that Leinster were going to get hammered by Munster in the semi-final. I'll be the first one to put my hands up and admit I don't have a clue what the outcome of today's match is going to be. Leinster and Leicester are two very different teams and both are different propositions than they were when they met last year. We'll have to see how they test each other out on the pitch and how they cope with the pressure before we have any idea who has the upperhand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lol123456

I have a bad feeling Leinster will get hammered. :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

lol123456 wrote: »

Leinster have the best defence in Europe imo, they might lose but they won't be hammered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I'd be a bit worried about the scrum. Leicester have probably the best front row in Europe especially factoring in White and Kayser only on the bench. But with Cian and Stan in great form, they won't make it easy for the Tigers.

Hoping for another massive game from Cullen. He was so immense in the semi.

Our back row is where we have a big advantage. Our 3 are just much better than their 3. But go to produce on the day.

Whittaker is my biggest worry. Definitely Leinster's weak link. Did very well in the semi, but his opposite number played poorly.

Couldnt be happier or more confident in our 10 to 15. But if something happens to any of them I'll be very nervous. With Kearney nowhere near 100%, Leicester's bench is far superior to ours.

Also have to remember that this is a final, and finals are a different beast to semis. Just compare Leiceter's last 2 games. Free flowing 5 try semi and a dour 1 try final. That's not unusual.

And we all remember Munster's first final. 8-3 up and lose 9-8 and O'Gara 0/4 from kicks. These things happen. And Leicester are proven winners. You have to be a lot better than them to beat them.

CMON LEINSTER

Luke, Jamie, Johnny and Jenno to be heroes!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭the immortals

i have a good feeling leicester will get hammered.

Whittaker is my biggest worry. Definitely Leinster's weak link. Did very well in the semi, but his opposite number played poorly.

To be honest I don't think Stringer playing poorly has anything to do with Whitaker playing well. Stringer being poor doesn't make Whitaker's passing more crisp or cause him to take less steps before passing for example. Whitaker looks a better player inside Sexton imo. He's not as good as Dupuy but he won't let us down, and he's an incredibly good defender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

i have a good feeling Leinster will get hammered.

You should be preparing for the match, Geordan. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Oh ye of little faith! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

I Have never used them before, do I just click on one of the links and sit back and wait for it to upload ??

Im getting up at 3am to watch it and dont want to make a balls, or waste any time messing with it. I posted on the appropriate thread above, but there is little traffic there at the minute as I guess most of ye wont have any problems finding somewhere to watch it :mad: <jealous>

I Have never used them before, do I just click on one of the links and sit back and wait for it to upload ??

Im getting up at 3am to watch it and dont want to make a balls, or waste any time messing with it. I posted on the appropriate thread above, but there is little traffic there at the minute as I guess most of ye wont have any problems finding somewhere to watch it :mad: <jealous>

You might need to download a progrma like Sopcast in order to make the stream work. You'll most likely find a link on www.justin.tv too, which just streams straight through your browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Right, time to get some food, chill out and prepare. In the pub for around 3.30 to ensure a good spot.

I've 3 bets one -

Leicester at half time, Leinster at full time.
    Leinster by 6-10
    Luke Fitz to score a try.

c'mon boys!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Crash wrote: »
    I've 3 bets one -

Leicester at half time, Leinster at full time.
    Leinster by 6-10
    Luke Fitz to score a try.

c'mon boys!

I got on Leinster at 14-1 at the start of the season :D Still trying to decide whether to lay it off or leave it.

Wouldn't be mad keen on the first bet, Leinster aren't exactly reknowned for coming from behind to victory.

True, but thats a minnow bet, and there were shag all decent odds going for anything.

6-10 and Lukey are worth the cash though. Lukes 9/2 on PP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Tableman

Is this match being played on a big screen anywhere in Dublin, like it was in Limerick the last few years?

Tableman wrote: »
    Is this match being played on a big screen anywhere in Dublin, like it was in Limerick the last few years?

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Tableman

Nope.

feckin leinster. no wonder noone supports them

No. :(

For **** sake, it's just so retarded, the word "retarded" just isn't strong enough to articulate my feelings on how bloody stupid that is. :mad:

It would be some atmosphere. :(

feckin leinster. no wonder noone supports them

You spelt Leicester wrong.

No. :(

For **** sake, it's just so retarded, the word "retarded" just isn't strong enough to articulate my feelings on how bloody stupid that is. :mad:

It would be some atmosphere. :(

They tried, they were in discussions with Dublin County Council (who had to give permission for it to happen) but it ended up falling through.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

is 5 o clock ever going to come?
    the suspense........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 vix

I was wondering if anybody here knew of a good pub in Galway city to watch the match in please?It's not every day that your team get's to a final and I don't want to miss it!Thanks!

Dublin city council deserve a smack for that one, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Why didnt they organise something in the RDS or Donnybrook?

Advertisement