Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 7 Meg (not 7.6)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

not really hepful but ive upgrades to the up yo 7mb package 2 weeks ago and im not impressed...speedtest.net says my speed is around 3.90MB...but i havent noticed an increase in my downloads or gaming...actualy my gamings gone worse i cant host games no more:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The 7.6mbit has 672 upload whereas the 7mbit has 384 upload. The 7mbit package was created afetr the upgrades and the high interleaving issues and classed as a gamers package, it has the same upload rate as the 3mbit and slightly better pings.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    The 7.6mbit has 672 upload whereas the 7mbit has 384 upload. The 7mbit package was created afetr the upgrades and the high interleaving issues and classed as a gamers package, it has the same upload rate as the 3mbit and slightly better pings.

ive heard of this 7.6mb package but ive not seen it advertised on the website so i just went with the 7mb package...how do i get this 7.6mb package?id love it for ps3 gaming cos im concidering downgrading back to 3mb:(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Thanks for that. I'm not a gamer but I download quite a bit so I was hoping ADSL2 24 meg would be the next step from Eircom but it is not likely to be available in Dundalk for the foreseeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

marko91 wrote: »
    ive heard of this 7.6mb package but ive not seen it advertised on the website so i just went with the 7mb package...how do i get this 7.6mb package?id love it for ps3 gaming cos im concidering downgrading back to 3mb:(

This is it, but You're getting it wrong, the 7.6mbit package has worse pings than the 7mbit, which is why the 7mbit was introduced. It won't improve gaming but make it worse (although the extra upload could help if You're hosting). All 7mbit and 7.6mbit are affected by high interleaving poorer pings than 1mbit and 3mbit packages

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    This is it, but You're getting it wrong, the 7.6mbit package has worse pings than the 7mbit, which is why the 7mbit was introduced. It won't improve gaming but make it worse (although the extra upload could help if You're hosting). All 7mbit and 7.6mbit are affected by high interleaving poorer pings than 1mbit and 3mbit packages

ohh i get ya now...ugh my ping ranges anywhere between 60 and 80, on the 3mb it was usualy 60 to 65:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭alkev

http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0137585777.1242933049@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccadehfifjgdecefeceiedffndffj.0&cid=BroadbandIntroRes1&site=Res&chanId=-536889573

I wasn't aware that Eircom had a 7 meg speed until I got a call from them 21 May offering to switch me to the Friends bundle. I am currently paying for 7.6 but my line can't handle much over 5. My 2 monthly bill is around €155 as I make very few calls so this will save me over €30 per bill. I'm still trying to figure out the catch.

Apologies if this has been covered here before and does anyone know how long it has been available?

I got the same call from Eircom as the OP. The caller started by asking if I had some recent problems with speed. I said I had some minor problems recently so she suggested I drop from 7.6 to 7 which would save about 10 Euro per month and give me some free calls.
    It seemed a good deal until I asked about contention , she said the 7mb deal is 48:1 as opposed to 24:1 on the 7.6mb.
    I told her to forget it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 lickarse2

Spare a thought for poor buggers like me who can't get anything more than 1Mb. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

lickarse2 wrote: »
    Spare a thought for poor buggers like me who can't get anything more than 1Mb. :mad:

SO! eircom STILL have not sorted the ping problem out?

Im on 3 meg..and get super duper 23ms pings on Irish COD4 servers! mmmmm nice

I'd switch to 7 meg..but heard all the bad news about pings...

anyway...i go over my limt EVER month to about 40-80 megs downloads..does not matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm on 7.6 meg Eircom and get 8-12 ms ping on Irish servers. 14-25 on UK servers. Call Eircom and tell them you want your interleaving reduced. If your line is decent they'll do it.

• Advertisement

Praetorian wrote: »
    I'm on 7.6 meg Eircom and get 8-12 ms ping on Irish servers. 14-25 on UK servers. Call Eircom and tell them you want your interleaving reduced. If your line is decent they'll do it.

REALLY?? your the first one every i heard that. I might give it a go. Shur i can allways go back to 3 i suppose.

Praetorian wrote: »

can u stick up a speed test thingy ? just to see..thanks.

this is mine at 3 meg...getting upgraded on tue(16th june 09)..

494961718.png

m.

mattman wrote: »
    can u stick up a speed test thingy ? just to see..thanks.

this is mine at 3 meg...getting upgraded on tue(16th june 09)..

494961718.png

m.

upgraded this morning! pings are better than i led to believe...shall see in the comin days..

496753179.png

mattman wrote: »
    upgraded this morning! pings are better than i led to believe...shall see in the comin days..

496753179.png

Pings are FINE! And I had 3 meg for over a year, when i could of had 6!

Anyone else thinking of upgrading...go ahead..your ping will increase from 28ms to about 44ms...which is still great. Left 4 dead average is about 50-70ms. Very playable. Rem the 7 meg package, not the 7.6 !

m.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

I just did this test, I don't understand the ping thing. Is this result any good.

502626378.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I rang ages ago to get this changed after being on the 7.6 Meg package. The "man" said that he could not lower the interleaving and he would trial me on the 6meg package. My pings haven't changed that much and my current D/U is 6144/512!

I think another phone call is in order!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BadCRC

Both the 7.6Mbs service and the 7Mbs service have low interleaving on upstream and downstream. You just need to find a tech support agent who will change your port profile for you.

I just did this test, I don't understand the ping thing. Is this result any good.

502626378.png

if you dont know what pings are your probably ok! yours are terrible!

the smaller it is the better...10ms would be gret! but 40-80ms is ok..
    mainly used for playing on line games...but the faster your pings are , u will find tht your everyday surfing will be that bit faster.

--
    not to other posts...did not change my interleaving...its fine...a 6meg line for me, out teh country is great...im miles away from exchange...

m.

Advertisement