Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XGC SFIV Tourny Sat May 23rd.

• 21-05-2009 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭

From here: http://neoempire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5857

Details
    Venue:
    Xtreme Gaming Centre, 30/31 Lower Liffey Street, Dublin < click for map
    Date: Saturday 23rd May '09
    Time: From 1300
    Entry Fee: €10
    Prize Support:
    - Prize pot = sum of all the participants entry fees
    - 1st, 40% of prize pot
    - 2nd, 20% of prize pot
    Format: Split by console platform. Double elimination on the 360, round robin on the PS3
    Character Restriction: None

I'm not going but it may interest you lot.

btw who ever runs these should be posting in this board.
    (i i missed your post sorry...)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Are they just using regular joypads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Bring your own pads & sticks ;)

I'll be bringing 1x Saturn pad for PS3 & my stick.

Yeah!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'd go and get my face kicked in but I am still in Germany. *Grumble*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

This is ridiculously short notice. I went to the last one of these and gave them my email address (thinking they would inform me of the next event) but I'm only hearing this now!

I was actually looking forward to the next one but unfortunatelty I have made other plans and can't go :(

If any of the organisers see this, for gods sake send us an email if you're gonna be taking our email addresses

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

Azza gave me a heads up about this one. On the original thread that I assume (correct me if I'm wrong chap) Azza got his info from <here>, the info about this one has been up from the 14th of this month. I posted up on Neo Empire a day or two after to let others know it was happening. However I'm not sure when XGC initially broke the news.

• Advertisement

Yeah I saw that other thread just after reading this one! Ever since the fighting game forum was created I've just been looking here and thought it would be posted here. I also thought the tourney would be in early april (they usually do one a month dont they?)

Beats me, but I suppose there is crossover with regard to the subject as it it both competitive and fighting game related. In one of the earlier threads there was mention of it being monthly. I'd dont know if this one counts for June of if there will be another in June. Hopefully the XGC crew will clear that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Anyone at the last one know how long it took, or what time it finished up at?

The Wal wrote: »

It took a couple of hours, although some of us hung around to play some third strike :P

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Yeah, sorry about that animaX :(. I thought to post that thread in the events and tournaments forum as it is a tournament and thats where all the previous tournament threads were posted before. I should've posted in the fighting game one too so really sorry about that.

Yeah, 3S is brilliant! After playing hours and hours, each session that my brother and I play, we always find a bug or a flaw in SFIV but never once did we see anything unusual or in 3S.

The recipe was great, why oh why did they fiddle with it?

• Advertisement

The Wal wrote: »

I think the last one took about 3-4 hours in total because I remember that my brother and I missed the 16:45 bus so we had to take the 18:45 one so it would've definitely stretched on a bit but like animaX said, we did play some 3S for a while so might've finished earlier than we thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Damn I probably wont be able to make it to this one too.

Question, how does the whole people who play on 360 versus people who play on ps3 thing work out?

Like what happens if a ps3 guys has to play a 360 guy. I can't use the 360 pad. And even if someone brings the madkats pad, while the d-pad is great, I'm not used to the layout and play like a retard trying to hit buttons that aint there.

Good thing is when the PC version is out, people can play on that with any pad like wish. So 1 person could even be using a 360 pad, while the other a PS3 pad.

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Question, how does the whole people who play on 360 versus people who play on ps3 thing work out?

Since I've never been I can only give you second hand info. But until something more definative is posted; two console specific tournaments are ran. Double elimination for the 360 and round robin for the PS3. The winners of each face off in a final. I am unsure how the console issue is resolved for the final.

The current system XGC use is flawed. It currently gives the PS3 users an easier route to the final as there are less PS3 than 360 users.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I'll talk to them tomorrow and try and get this format split changed.

Azza wrote: »
    I'll talk to them tomorrow and try and get this format split changed.

With something like this each solution has its problems. The more people that use sticks, the less of a problem there will be. Assuming that people have no problem letting someone else use their arcade stick or using someones elses arcade stick. But if two people who can not resolve the console specific input issue are required to play; give them a match on each console. If the result is the same both times, you have your winner. If it is not then the match should be replayed.

Obviously my proposed suggestion is time consuming. As (at least) two matches are being played in place of one. But with a lump sum of cash at the end of it, I think it is better to be fair. *edit* Incidentally, this will be how this issue will be resolved at Q-Con.

Also, with the current XGC system, the final is currently the best player on each console, not necessarily the two best players there. But what if the two best players there favour the same console? The second best player will lose out just because they favour the same console as the person who qualified for the final. I hope I communicated that point effectively =/

Well, Azza proposed that PS3 players play against X360 players from the the beginning, instead of meeting in the final. This'll make sure that everyone has equal chance of getting to the final rather than PS3 players only having to play 2 or 3 matches and X360 players playing 7 or 8.

As mentioned before, if certain players wish to use a particular controller that isn't compatible with the other console (i.e.: PS3 and X360 pads) each player should be allowed the chance to play once with the pad of their choice as previously mentioned, making it 2 matches for those situations.

On a separate note :), if anyone here has a copy of anniversary collection, would you be so kind as to bring it down? There are some scores to be settled on 3S :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I've got Xbox Anniversary Edition, and a (spare for now) 360 stick.
    Let's hope I get up in time! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah, I can bring AC for the xbox as well I think.

Brilliant! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Good luck to anyone taking part today. I will be expecting a full written report :D

I was at it yesterday. Not sure how many turned up, probably around 16-20.

Anyway the format of the tournament was double elimination.

It was suppose to be held exclusivly on the Xbox 360 but one spare PS3 was used if both players agreed to use the PS3 which a few did. This will probably become the way the event in the future is run. They are not allowed use PC's for gaming I don't think so they can't switch to the PC version unfortantly.

Overall it ran smoothly and everone was really paitent and understanding in waiting and allowing users to play on the control format preference of their choice (i.e stick or pad) No one had an easy ride to the finals because of the format split this time which is good.

The only 2 downsides where that only 1 or 2 machines had the console characters unlocked, which wasn't too bad. But Seth and Gouken where banned for no other reason than than the characters had not been unlocked yet. There is no reason for them to be banned, they are not overpowered and as far as I'm aware none of the participants wanted them banned so its quite silly.

However no one played Seth or Gouken so it was not a problem but if someone did it would be really unfair on them. Something the organisers need to get sorted.

As for the tournament itself some crap scrub Bison player won it :rolleyes:
    Bush was second with his Blanka.
    The name eludes me of Balrog player who came third. Think it was AnimaX.
    Blag was 4th with his Bison.

I had really close and tough games against Dreddybajs Zangief and Leprekauns Ryu.

Outside of the tournament I finally got to play Blagdhalia's Dictator. We also ahad a load of random character games and we gto to find out which of us the better flowchart Ken! Epic Stuff. :pac:

Also I got to poke and slide The Witch's Viper to death :D

GGs to everyone I played - felt like I did my best given the tough opponents I got from the start (being convincingly sent down to Losers in my first match by Azza, who went on to win - congrats again dude). Standard of play was generally quite high, with from what I saw the most deserving two getting to the grand finals. Next time I think it'd be nice if rather than bo5, we got to play bo3 bo3's, but overall the event organisation was a lot better than the first tournament I went to, and I gotta say the lads who run the place are great for taking in suggestions on how it should be run from us here.

(It'd also be nice if Gouken and Seth were unlocked next time - I think Azza might've been right when he said that the only reason they were banned is because the guys who ran the place haven't bothered to unlock them :pac:.)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

ggs to everyone who was there. I'll get you next time Azza ;),just need to find another good bison player nearby to practice on.:)

I guess I'm the only one here who plays with a PS3 pad exclusively , everyone else is 360 or stick. & as someone said for some reason the PC version isnt allowed and even 3s is played on the xbox/360 so it doesn't seem like the likes of myself would be able to play. Bah lol how does the format with the dodgy pad win out lol.:P

I keep missing them anyways so its no biggie anyway.

Its the more popular console this generation (for various reasons) and at these events Xbox players outnumber PS3 players 3 to 1.

Oh well there is other events you can look into.

There is also the possibilty we might organise a boards event at that same venue and we can get round the that issue.

Or learn to use a stick!

Ah yeah I know the 360 is the more popular one, I just specifically talking about it terms of fighting games and pads but yeah.

Well at least I know now its a ps3 pad player & PC gamer no go zone. In stead of turning up and being horribly disappointed.

Not all that interested in spending weeks to learn a stick. Although I'm interested in seeing what its like to play with one sometime. I suppose I don't have to deal with a dodgy d-pad to motivate me. But I am sure my execution would improve eventually from leaning a stick but using a stick itself doesn't appeal to me that much. I didn't grow up in the arcades.

I found using a stick easy even 10 years+ later. I was not a major arcade player myself either. Its just right!

Get the lend of a stick and try it for a day or 2. You never know you might double perfect Daigo!

hehehehe yeah that daigo fella better watch out eh?

A mate of mine is getting an arcade stick soon and I look forward to having a shot as it'll be my 1st time every playing SF with one.

I'd be an idiot to assume I'd some how be better at the game instantly. When a lot of it is about muscle memory, your hands gotta know where and what to press without you having to think for a sec. From what I understand though, is that if I did eventually get used to using a stick. My skill wouldn't be any different in the game, but it'd help my execution due to more precise controls.

Not the staggering difference between a pad and a M&KB for an FPS though, but a difference anyway. From what I understand.

• Advertisement

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Well at least I know now its a ps3 pad player & PC gamer no go zone. In stead of turning up and being horribly disappointed.

I was happy to play one of my matches on a PS3 as the guy wanted to use the PS3 pad - the rule is as long as both players agree then it's no problem.

Advertisement