Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession and Postgrad Fees

Options
  • 21-05-2009 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people think. Normally postgrad fees rise by a few hundred euro each year. What with the recession and all, will UCD still put up fees this year, or keep last year's rates?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Well they raised accomodation for next year so I guess they will..

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

UCD is seriously short of money and fees are one of the few ways it can take in money, the government is hardly likely to give more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I know with the School of Geography, Planning and Environmental Policy, they're lowering their fees for the Masters in Regional and Urban Planning (MRUP) for the coming year, I'll put it into context; the MRUP is a two-year taught course, with 1st year costing €10,500 in 08/09, and 2nd year costing somewhere in the region of €9,300-€9,500. However the school has gone ahead with pressuring the college into lowering 1st year of the programme by a grand or around that mark (something like €9,500 for 09/10). Although money is tight, in some cases the college will (or should) lower course costs if there's little demand etc... or at least not raise the costs for the coming year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Ofcourse if theres lower demand lower the price to fill all places (if that maximises income), but I'd have expected, and it seems to be the case from anecdotal evidence, that demand for postgrads has increased due to people waiting for the job market to improve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

The vast majority of postgrad courses are going to be cheaper next year. The one I'm doing (hopefully) is about a third less (was over 10k, now €6800). With demand places are being increased in some areas resulting in a decrease in fees. In fairness I think UCD have copped that a lot of people will do masters next year if they can afford them so have reduced prices. Obviously though contact the relevant school for whatever one(s) you're interested in.

• Advertisement

The problem with Irish universities is that they charge inordinate prices for postgrad courses in order to make up the losses for the undergrad free-fees scheme (not bullsh*t, course coordinator was telling us this on the qt), if you want to do a postgrad at a reasonable price, then look to NI and GB. Unbelievable how cheap some of the courses are, you could be paying €3,700 for a course that would cost about €5,500 in UCD (basing this on the cost of an MSc in geography in QUB and an MA in geography in UCD).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I have my last undergraduate year coming up, and have been pondering whether to stay at UCD for a 2-year Master's. I'm in Engineering, and I've been looking at other options too. For example, TU Delft is in the top 10 Engineering schools worldwide (when I last checked), and is significantly cheaper then UCD. If you're born in the EU after August 1979, their current fees are €1,620 p.a. Older students pay a bit more; international students pay a lot more, as they do everywhere.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

bnt wrote: »
    I have my last undergraduate year coming up, and have been pondering whether to stay at UCD for a 2-year Master's. I'm in Engineering, and I've been looking at other options too. For example, TU Delft is in the top 10 Engineering schools worldwide (when I last checked), and is significantly cheaper then UCD. If you're born in the EU after August 1979, their current fees are €1,620 p.a. Older students pay a bit more; international students pay a lot more, as they do everywhere.

I'm been accepted to English and Philosophy masters at the University of Amsterdam for starting next semester, the fees are about the same there as they are in Delft. It jsut doesn't make sense to pay 6 0r 7 grand for the same thing here when i can use that money to cover my rent as well in Holland. I think if more people realised how much chaper it was abroad there'd almost be a mass exodus of postgrads.

griffdaddy wrote: »
    I'm been accepted to English and Philosophy masters at the University of Amsterdam for starting next semester, the fees are about the same there as they are in Delft. It jsut doesn't make sense to pay 6 0r 7 grand for the same thing here when i can use that money to cover my rent as well in Holland. I think if more people realised how much chaper it was abroad there'd almost be a mass exodus of postgrads.

Very true, it was okay (or at least generally acceptable) in the good ole days to charge extortionate prices for postgrad courses, but this was in a time where coming out of university in Ireland with a Masters and a 10 grand debt was usually met with some reasonably paid job, in which the debt could be settled within a short period of time (a year to two, followed by the stint of travelling). I've been hearing stuff on the news alright about students from Ireland going to the uk to study as undergrads given the free fees etc... in a manner of speaking, one can nearly assume that this exodus has already started. All we have to see now is; a full reintroduction of undergrad fees and cuts in spending in the universities and you'll see massive decline in the uptake of postgrad courses. It's really out of handiness sake that people don't bother going abroad in the first place (e.g. Doing a BA, then doing an MA, so that you can then get into the HDip in Education, classic example of this mindset), but when you're being charged massive amounts for postgrads as well as undergrads from universities that have somewhat discernible facilities, limited job opportunities, high cost of living etc... then there's going to be an outflow of sorts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

bnt wrote: »

I'd leave UCD. Don't get me wrong - it's a great university and I love it. I'd leave because life is short and there are an awful number of great places to do your masters in. Try and go to the uni which has the best reputation in your particular area. If it's UCD then still go away and do your Masters somewhere else and you can come back and do your doctorate here.

It looks better on your cv that you have been successful in a few third levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If it was simply about money - and maybe it will be - sure. It might not be that simple, though.

I should find out today whether I'm progressing to 3rd (final) year, but I'm already getting email from the Registrar:
    Now that you are nearing the end of your undergraduate
    days, you may be thinking about your next steps.

As a UCD graduate you have many options
    open to you, and one of these is graduate study.
    A bit premature, you might say ...

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Advertisement