Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you want Michael Vick to sign for your team?

• 21-05-2009 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭

Pros: A player with a fella of a lot of talent, maybe not a pocket passer but could be the ultimate wildcat QB and would come at the veteran minimum, hopefully humbled by the last 2 years and just wants to play.

Cons: Will be a major distraction, an ex-con, spent the last two years in Jail (which is good and bad in terms of physicality).

I'm weirdly undecided if I'd like to see Vick in a Patriot uniform, I dont know why because last year I would have disowned the team if they signed Pacman, but with Vick even tho what he did was a disgrace I feel justice has been served...

Would you like Vick to sign for your team this season? 16 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 16 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd prefer wake up one morning finding out I have knob rot rather then learning that the Raiders have signed Vick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think its a bit unfair to ask that question as far as a Patriot fan is concerned as we have Tom Brady so the clear answer is no.

However for sides that need a quarterback its a totally different thing. The guy has done his time, it remains to be seen how he gets on now. I would be willing to give him a chance but not on huge money obviously if I was undecided about my QB position.

Tampa Bay, NY Jets and imo above all others the Vikings should be willing to take a chance on him. None of them have a recognised starter and if they got him on the cheap, its a two way street, they give him a chance if he is good enough and he gets the chance to prove his problems are behind him and maybe pick up a bigger contract in 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jets have Sanchez and bucs have Freeman. They wont touch Vick with a barge poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Pros: He is fast and offers alot to the Wildcat formation.

Cons: You would need a very agile O-Line to benefit from Vick and his arm is average. If you don't run the Wildcat you would have to implement a new system to fit Vicks Athletism rather than his throwing ability.

Maybe a decent backup to run the Wildcat offense. But no more than that.

As a Pats fan I would quicker put another rookie in there if Brady wasnt an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭kev_s88

i would love to see Vick as the new backup QB for the Jaguars.....not only does it mean we get to get rid of Cleo Lemon....it also means we get a completely new OL to work with a completely new offense with Mike Vick working as the backup QB and the Jags working MJD more in a Wildcat offense style....with MJD being one of the best catchers and one of the most brutal RB's ive seen in a long while...it might just be a marriage made in heaven for the Jags....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

If I thought he offered something then why not, think the pros mentioned above are exceptionally generous, TBH I could only imagine using him on draw and screen plays. Even on wildcat teams would play him like the Ravens did the wildcat this year. He was always hugely overrated and few teams will have real interest. The suggestion has been made on si.com I think that bills are best fit and I'd agree with that. no distractions cos it's a hole and desperate for attention so room for something a bit different, hence TO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

eagle eye wrote: »
    Tampa Bay, NY Jets and imo above all others the Vikings should be willing to take a chance on him. None of them have a recognised starter and if they got him on the cheap, its a two way street, they give him a chance if he is good enough and he gets the chance to prove his problems are behind him and maybe pick up a bigger contract in 2010.

The Jets have just invested in a first round quarterback and the last thing they want is to take ANOTHER chance at QB I would say. If they could get a vet backup, fine, but they don't want Vick surely.

Tampa Bay have 5 quarterbacks at the moment... I suppose that doesn't rule out Vick, but would they put Morris up against Vick-publicity in his first year?

Vikings - the thing standing between the Vikings and a Super Bowl is a consistent pocket passer. They've already got the run game, they just need to be able to throw when they're behind. Doubt they'd take Vick.

Contrary to what people are saying I think he'd fit much better in a team with an established quarterback because a) if Vick comes in and plays well in New York, for example, what does that do to Sanchez and his cap money? b) he needs to prove himself all over again and c) he needs to be on a solid team that can handle the impact of the first few weeks of his arrival.

He's gonna be a situational guy at first when he goes back, depending on how the Wildcat works in its second year.

Steelers, Patriots, Saints...

Jets have Sanchez and Freeman. They wont touch Vick with a barge poll.
    You mean Clemens and Sanchez, two untested players. My reason for saying that they could take a chance on Vick is exactly that, thats if they got him cheap of course. I think for teams with questions at QB it would be a wise decision and I stress if you get him cheaply.

There is no down side imo for those teams.

Karlusss wrote: »

Vikings - the thing standing between the Vikings and a Super Bowl is a consistent pocket passer. They've already got the run game, they just need to be able to throw when they're behind. Doubt they'd take Vick.
    What they need is to consistently get the best out of AP and just think about the damage they could do with Vick. I think it could be an incredible alliance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Pros: Could possibly be an upgrade over Hill and Smith
    As others have mentioned would fit decent in a Wildcat Offense especially with a Run First Offense that Raye has talked about for next season.

Cons: Never been a great pocket passer, has a mediocre playoff record (2005 the exception), threw away a once in a liftetime opportunity even when earning the money he was and playing in a prestigious position, The bagage he would bring to San Francisco arguably one of the biggest dog loving cities in the States would be unheralded.

So in short no:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

The Bills gonna need to sign one of these high-profile players a year to keep asses in seats in Buffalo, Vick throwing deep balls to T.O and Michael Irvin or something next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DaXiS

Cons: his arm is average

Huh? He had a notoriously strong arm. Endless youtube clips of him throwing 50-65 yards with ease

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

DaXiS wrote: »
    Huh? He had a notoriously strong arm. Endless youtube clips of him throwing 50-65 yards with ease

This was debated immensly before. His arm is average compared to alot of QBs. When you move out of the pocket as Vick does you lose alot of accuracy. His arm is average as he lacks accuracy and sure show me a video of him in a dome with loads of room to stand there and adjust to throwing. Take the top tier QBs they can throw deep under pressure with accuracy. Even Brett Favre in his old age.But ask Vick to do that he cant. Ask any of his WR that played with him. Throwing 50 60 yards should be easy for any NFL quality QB. Its all about accuracy and putting the ball on the money 90% of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

He surely offers a lot to teams who want the option of running the wildcat?Nice player to have to be able to bring on as a backup.

I know the guy f##ked up big time but i think the reaction to him has been ott.

The stuff other NFL players have done is a lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I am struggling to see a scenario where Vick won't be involved in the NFL next season with some organisation, but it will be both contingent on a number of things happening and even at that he remains a significant risk to whatever franchise he joins. Fans could revolt, brand image of teams could plummet, season-tickets cancelled in protest - you just never know.

The most likely scenario I see is him being drafted in pretty late in the day after an injury has forced a team's hand. It's pretty obvious that his contract with Atlanta (through to 2013) needs to be shredded too if he's any hope of playing. Nobody's going to take on that overhead for him.

Keep in mind too, he's pushing 30 now, and for a player who's game was so reliant on pace, he probably only has a handful of years left at the top and that's if he gets back to shape at all.

I think media coverage at this point is directed towards rehabbing his image a lot. How well that works will have a lot to do with how well his comeback works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKDEAx9Z3Q4&feature=related

2.07 where the two defenders knock heads is pretty good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Yeah I can see the NFL Network in particular getting on his side during his rehab. NFL are a business at the end of the day and stored away in the cupboards somewhere they'll have a dusty book of stats on just how much a healthy regular playing Vick is worth to the league financially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭readytorock

the guy is a class act thers no doubt, when he came straight out of college people wer basically drooling all over him and now everyones jumping the bandwagon to ditch him. he aint no OJ anyway

the guy is a class act thers no doubt

I think there's actually quite a lot of doubt.

• Advertisement

the guy is a class act,

You obviously are joking right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

As a Jets fan, I don't want him. We have stuck the long term loot on Sanchez, so that's where our focus should be. On getting him ready to be the starting QB, and shifting our offensive game plan towards running the ball first, second and third when possible. BUT, if we hadn't done what we did on draft day, I would have been delighted to have a punt on him - things were looking thin on the ground with Clemons and Ratliff.

As for other franchises, you can automatically rule out a number of them as fits for glaring reasons that vary in each specific situation: The fanbase in Green Bay would scream blue murder; the likes of the Patriots, Colts and Steelers definitely don't need a QB; while Detroit, Jets and Tampa have long term prospects for the position that would be best without exposure to Vick.

But then again, you have franchises like the 49ers or Texans who could use help at that position and don't have any obvious deal breaker in terms of franchise / fanbase culture or location. Or you have the likes of the Raiders who might as well take the gamble - because they have nothing to lose in any possible respect. ;)

We could debate Vick's perceived value and supposed strengths and weaknesses till the cows come home. He has been overrated and underrated in equal measure. At the end of the day, he was above league average at the most important position - and directly responsible for a decent amount of wins in a league where winning is all that really matters. He will probably be starving hungry to prove himself on the pitch, and free of much of the entourage and circus that used to surround him off it (because he's now broke). For sure, I would be concerned at how he will have held up physically (and how much pace remains), but I would be shocked if the very best he can be at this stage isn't what he brings to whatever franchise takes him aboard.

Strangely, a small part of me will be rooting for him just a little bit.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

But then again, you have franchises like the 49ers help at that position .

I'd actually like Vick as a compliment to Gore in the Wildcat offense (without throwing the ball) but at the moment I don't see any scenario where he ends up here especially since a team spokesman has ruled it out

I saw things saying Singletary wasn't ruling it out.

Plus Singletary is a psycho who builds hills in his training facility because he things running up hills is what gives players long careers.

And one who pursued Kurt Warner for essentially no reason despite a commitment to run-first football.

And it's not like they couldn't do with an upgrade. So I wouldn't rule it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DaXiS

This was debated immensly before. His arm is average compared to alot of QBs. When you move out of the pocket as Vick does you lose alot of accuracy. His arm is average as he lacks accuracy and sure show me a video of him in a dome with loads of room to stand there and adjust to throwing. Take the top tier QBs they can throw deep under pressure with accuracy. Even Brett Favre in his old age.But ask Vick to do that he cant. Ask any of his WR that played with him. Throwing 50 60 yards should be easy for any NFL quality QB. Its all about accuracy and putting the ball on the money 90% of the time.

I don't know about most people, but when I hear arm I think arm strength only, and not accuracy. Point taken though and I agree, His arm is strong enough but his production of course is unrelated to that.

It's not the same Atlanta team that Matt Ryan has now though,its much better now and it was the only system he was in. That teams receiving corps in 08 season looked horrible at times with dropped passes and really Roddy White saved it.

DaXiS wrote: »
    I don't know about most people, but when I hear arm I think arm strength only, and not accuracy. Point taken though and I agree, His arm is strong enough but his production of course is unrelated to that.

It's not the same Atlanta team that Matt Ryan has now though,its much better now and it was the only system he was in. That teams receiving corps in 08 season looked horrible at times with dropped passes and really Roddy White saved it.

I know guys in the US who throw with alot of power but never made QBs as the lacked accuracy and vision. All well and good having power but if you aint hitting the ball on the money or at least close to it your power will do nothing for you. :D

Your WR corp are only as good as your QB. The problem for Atlanta pre Ryan the system suited Vicks style of play more so than the standard Run/Pass. Unfortunately this didnt bode well for WR's as when Vick struggled to find anyone open or just didnt look he tucked and ran. I watched Matt Schaub put up 298 and 3 TDs against the Patriots in Atlanta in 2005 when Vick was injured and that day there was nothing wrong with the Atlanta WR Corp. Roddy White had a bad day but also had injuries and didnt last too long as Samuel was his marker.

And I agree it isnt the same team Ryan has but he still has White and Finneran and Jenkins. Jenkins has put his best career numbers last year under Ryan, as did White, Finneran has aged alot and isnt the same guy and has struggled with injury so i suppose we can count him out. But you see what im getting at. Dont get me wrong Vick worked for the old Falcons system but the problem is his style of play needs a whole new setup.

The question to be asked will any team setup a new system to gain his full potential or try incorporate him into an existing system and adding a wildcat style playbook.

Karlusss wrote: »
    I saw things saying Singletary wasn't ruling it out.

Plus Singletary is a psycho who builds hills in his training facility because he things running up hills is what gives players long careers.

And one who pursued Kurt Warner for essentially no reason despite a commitment to run-first football.

And it's not like they couldn't do with an upgrade. So I wouldn't rule it out.

Yeah running up hills is the exact same practice drill that gave Singletary and Payton Hall of fame careers.;)

Besides the whole Warner saga was just to drive up the cost of retaining Warner in Arizona. And it worked. I really didn't think they'd give him $19m guaranteed and it further stunts Leinart's growth .

Hill actually played very well in a system that didn't suit his talents at all so I wouldn't say Vick is a definite upgrade just a possible one.

Yeah I need to stop ragging on Singletary, sorry. It's angry little man syndrome for supporting the team with the 2nd overall pick the last two years.

Still think the Rams will end up with more wins though, somehow.

I've actually been thinking that if Bulger goes down in the first couple of weeks of the season and Vick is still out there - it'd be tough not to look into it. Spagnuolo came out recently saying that his attitude to histories of misbehaviour is not zero tolerance, but case-by-case, which is the kind of thing a zero tolerance coach says when he realises he has a chance of signing a very good player.

We've no young quarterback waiting to inherit the job, and Kyle Boller's future is as a backup. It'd also solve the problem of having no receivers if our quarterback didn't bother to do his reads before tucking and running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Vick has the smell of Al Davis all over him.

Oakland Raiders bound.

Advertisement