Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you want Michael Vick to sign for your team?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭silverwater

I wouldn't like to have him in my team.
    Sure, he is a great player. He has (/had) a great quickness about him.
    He did fumble an awful lot though, and his accuracy and strength did leave a lot to be desired. I don't see how any team with an established QB would take him in. Maybe one lacking in QB options might, but I think it's too big a risk.

Also, if this poll is anything to go by, around 50% of people wouldn't be happy with him being signed.
    Imagine you're a coach and that's 50% of your paying fans...
    Bad news...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭JJ

I can't see the Giants taking on Vick even if Eli and every backup they have was injured. After Plaxico, the Giants don't need any bad press like this and in New York, bad press is about 10 times worse there than almost anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Karlusss wrote: »
    Still think the Rams will end up with more wins though, somehow.

I've actually been thinking that if Bulger goes down in the first couple of weeks of the season and Vick is still out there - it'd be tough not to look into it. .

I was actually reading an article this morning on PFT that said he has a shot at signing with you guys. Coming at a time where the Rams have been linked with a move to LA it's interesting times ahead in the "Gateway city!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

To be honest, I think getting the team to LA could be a good idea. STL is a small market and both population-wise and money-wise it's definitely a secondary market for an NFL team when places like LA don't have one. The fact that there aren't St. Louis buyers showing up in any numbers goes to show that the recession is hitting it like other Midwest towns and, if LA puts up money and a stadium, it'd probably be in the best interests of the team to go.

As for Vick... well, if he wants somewhere quiet to go and a set up which will probably favour him... *sigh*... why not.

Then again, Vince could be on the market too. Wouldn't say no there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

As a Patroits fan I don't want him signing for us but I'd like to see someone give him a chance as hes served his time and earned the right to move on with his life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

interesting to note the vitrol directed at Vick and the longish jail sentence comarped to Donte Stallworth.
    30 days compared to 2 and half years.Not saying either sentence is right or wrong but the fact that Vick was far more famous just leaves an odd feeling about this and 30 days is laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

raven136 wrote: »
    interesting to note the vitrol directed at Vick and the longish jail sentence comarped to Donte Stallworth.
    30 days compared to 2 and half years.Not saying either sentence is right or wrong but the fact that Vick was far more famous just leaves an odd feeling about this and 30 days is laughable.
    My Sentiments Exactly.

I mean Stallworth actually killed someone FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Max Power1 wrote: »
    My Sentiments Exactly.

I mean Stallworth actually killed someone FFS.

By Accident thats the difference. The guy walked out in front of Stallworths car in a spot a pedestrian shouldnt have walked. Reports claim it would not have mattered if Stallworth had been drinking or not as the guy stepped out late.

Let me ask you this if you hit a pedestrian and killed him would you expect to go to jail for two years as your first offense and it was accidental?

What helped Stallworth:

- He stayed at the scene
    - He accepted fault
    - He paid off the victims family
    - He coorperated with the police.
    - It was his first offense

All of the above would have helped his plea deal.

Vick on the other hand:

- refused to cooperate
    - ran an illegal operation knowing full well he was doing it
    - pleaded not guilty then changed his plead
    - Had evidence stacked against him

2 different type of offenses with different backgrounds.

Whether right or wrong there are ways around going to jail for a long time. I doubt fame had anything to do with it. In fact many say both got easier sentences due to their fame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

By Accident thats the difference. The guy walked out in front of Stallworths car in a spot a pedestrian shouldnt have walked. Reports claim it would not have mattered if Stallworth had been drinking or not as the guy stepped out late.

Let me ask you this if you hit a pedestrian and killed him would you expect to go to jail for two years as your first offense and it was accidental?

What helped Stallworth:

- He stayed at the scene
    - He accepted fault
    - He paid off the victims family
    - He coorperated with the police.
    - It was his first offense

All of the above would have helped his plea deal.

Vick on the other hand:

- refused to cooperate
    - ran an illegal operation knowing full well he was doing it
    - pleaded not guilty then changed his plead
    - Had evidence stacked against him

2 different type of offenses with different backgrounds.
    Donte Stallworth broke the law by stepping in a car after drinking alcohol and also smoking marijuana. There would have been no accident if he didn't get in his car. What happened at the scene is pretty irrelevant as he should not have been there in the first place unless in the passenger seat.

What Michael Vick did was all wrong too, but he didn't kill anybody through his actions. I don't like the way you have worded to make it look like 'poor Donte, we should feel sorry for him' and then 'Evil Michael Vick, we should show no mercy'.

Imo both done wrong and yes Donte Stallworth should be behind bars. The sooner there is a complete no tolerance policy towards dui the sooner it will stop happening. Donte Stallworth is a big name in the NFL having been part of our 16-0 regular season, what sort of a message is being sent out to kids with him not getting jail time for this. You can be certain that if it was you or I we would be doing time.

Now Michael Vick has done his time and thats the end of it. He has also committed himself to working against dog fighting. In Donte's case if he had to do time, for me it ends there too as long as he is willing to come out work to show he genuinely remorseful for his actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

eagle eye wrote: »
    Donte Stallworth broke the law by stepping in a car after drinking alcohol and also smoking marijuana. There would have been no accident if he didn't get in his car. What happened at the scene is pretty irrelevant as he should not have been there in the first place unless in the passenger seat.

What Michael Vick did was all wrong too, but he didn't kill anybody through his actions. I don't like the way you have worded to make it look like 'poor Donte, we should feel sorry for him' and then 'Evil Michael Vick, we should show no mercy'.

Imo both done wrong and yes Donte Stallworth should be behind bars. The sooner there is a complete no tolerance policy towards dui the sooner it will stop happening. Donte Stallworth is a big name in the NFL having been part of our 16-0 regular season, what sort of a message is being sent out to kids with him not getting jail time for this. You can be certain that if it was you or I we would be doing time.

Taken out of context I never worded anything to say poor Dante. But the sad truth accidental deaths are easier to argue even with the DUI. DUI in America are a ****ing joke to begin with. The fact of the matter is by law he worked the angles and got a better deal. Do I think its right no I dont. But US like Irish law has loopholes and can be exploited by good lawyers and how you present yourself and Dante did it correctly.

Dont for one second think im condoning his actions. I have lost 2 friends to drink driving. One behind the wheel and one mown down by a drink driver protected by his families name and the loopholes in the law.
    eagle eye wrote: »

And unfortunately in the real world none of this matters. It depends on the the judge and how good the prosecution can argue this case. What happens at the scene is always taken into consideration. He was done for DUI Manslaughter so the DUI takes in to case his drinking and smoking and the manslaughter the death of a man. Talking to my best friends sister who is a lawyer she siad his legal team must have worked every angle to get that 15 years down to 30 days in his plea bargaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

The temptation with NFL players and other big names is for people to call for them to be examples because they're so high profile. DUI doesn't seem to be such a shocking, societally frowned-upon thing in the US yet, compared to what it has quite quickly and broadly become in Ireland.

Yeah it'd be good to be zero tolerance on it, and change the fabric of American society a little, but realistically, Stallworth deserves the same chance as everyone else to plead his case. And, despite popular opinion nowadays, the court decides justice, not the blog commentators and forum posters and talking heads.

Not exactly the first NFL player to be indicted for a DUI, either:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/turd-watch/police-blotter/

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superhands

a big no for me

dog fighting - absolutely disgusting, could never cheer him on

Advertisement