Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Revision Books

Options
  • 21-05-2009 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi there,

Im going into 5th year next year and i plan to buy a revision book for every subject im studying.

-Irish
    -English
    -Maths
    -French
    -Geography
    -Biology
    -Economics

What revision books do i have to get for every 1 of these subjects,

AND,will i get Revise Wise,Less Stress More Success or Shortcuts to Success?

Thanks a mill

Comments

You don't need revision books - they're a waste to be frank. Make your own notes from your textbooks, it's far more valuable (and I'm not talking about monetary value).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I agree with Jammy Dodger. Making your own notes is a much more effective way of learning than reading someone elses.

However, there is something to be said for the "Less Stress" HL Maths revision book.
    It had some quite difficult examples in it and Im sure it would be no harm to run through them in addition to the questions in your class text.
    I found it also explained proof by induction in a clearer manner than the text I used.

As for Geography and Biology.......
    Well everything you need to know are in the texts. Make your own notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'd agree with the above, BUT Geography Less Stress More Success is a great aid to making your own notes.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Rapid Revision Chemistry is VERY helpful sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Fad wrote: »
    Rapid Revision Chemistry is VERY helpful sometimes.

It's more than helpful. It's the shiz.

I think the Less Stress books are awful. The two that I got, Physics and 2 Maths books, leave a lot to be desired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

It's more than helpful. It's the shiz.

I think the Less Stress books are awful. The two that I got, Physics and 2 Maths books, leave a lot to be desired.

Somehow I read that as "Its more helpful than awful" and I was all WHUT?

Seeing as we dont tend to agree on things, the whole "Conor reread that" part of my brain didnt really engage..........:pac:

Physics less stress isnt great at all, the Electricity section isnt THAT bad though.

I had a ton of revision books at JC level, kinda learnt my lesson then, your own notes are typically better for most subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

as revision books go, rapid revision economics is very good! and i dont normally like them!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

For biology, i find rapid revision really good, the essential exam revision. Then coming closer to the exam, like when you've done the course, theres this AMAZING little book, i think its biology essentials unfolded by celtic press, its TINY but it has everything! i <3 it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭haloauto

Look out for Essentials Unfolded for maths. Has all the formulas you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I found Revise Wise for Biology very good, but I think you would need to have a good grasp of Biology to find it useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

The LSMS maths ones come in handy from time to time, but I'm talking very occasionally. If you're looking for maths ones, I'd go with Revise Wise. I don't use them, but my friend swears by them.

For Geography there's a new book coming out more for next year called Exam Skills - Geography , I thiiiink. It's by Sue someone or other, I can't remember. It's published by Mentor anyway. I'd get that if you see it, it's a sort of red book. Most of my geography exam this year is pretty much coming from that book.It's an absolute lifesaver, at this stage.

I have LSMS & Revise Wise for geography... can't say I've looked at either. Also have RW for Biology and Business, and LSMS for Irish. All five because they were on the booklist. All pretty useless.

Shortcuts for Macbeth has proved extremely useful, and the one for Irish essay writing is handy for phrases.

Overall, as said above, you'd be better making your own notes, but a couple of them are alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

Shortcuts for Macbeth has proved extremely useful, and the one for Irish essay writing is handy for phrases.

Overall, as said above, you'd be better making your own notes, but a couple of them are alright!

ya the macbeth book is great for essays, everything you could be asked is covered, our teacher uses that for samples essays too!:rolleyes:

Advertisement