Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

another newbie thread

• 21-05-2009 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi, thinking of jumping into the world of dslr's and as a small change to the usual what camera thread i just wondering what you guys think of sonys cameras they seem to be a good budget choice and have good reviews on the net. i might wait to see the cost of the a230.

still not up to speed on the focal lenghts but i take it that a 200mm or 300mm lens is a high zoom factor, im mostly intrested in wildlife shots

all comments welcome and appreciated

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

As put in an earlier thread tonight, the sticky on this specific subject is a great place to start.

Lots of Sony fans around these parts. Great gear - no particular problems that have been reported here. But to be honest at that level that you are coming in at you could probably buy any of the notable brands - Sony, Nikon, Canon, Pentax, or Olympus. And they will all do a really fine job. In this case don't think of the camera but think of the system and where you ultimately would like to end up with your photographic journey. Nikon and Canon will probably technically take you to a place beyond what my beloved Pentax will take me at the moment (but I hear Samsung/Pentax are in the midst of full frame development - woo hooo, credit union here i come) :)

The other thing to consider is that gear wars are coming to an end. The photographic community seems to be coming to a long sought conclusion that it aint all about the gear. It's about you - your skill - your vision - your knowledge - your understanding - your location, etc...

200 - 300mm zooms are fairly common place. It wouldn't be unusual to go for 400, 500 or even 1000mm for wildlife photography which is where you can't get near the subject - depends on the type of wildlife I be guessing but it's not something that I shoot ( photograph that is ;) ). To get decent lens will be where the vast amount of you expenditure will be. Don't underestimate what may be required. Again, it depends on where you want to go with your photographic journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Hello baneblade.

The usa price for the a230 is 549 dollars. I'm not sure what it will be here but check sonystyle uk.

Whats your budget for a lens? 300mm (which equates to about 12-13x on a fuji bridge compact) is the absolute minimum. 200 is just too short for wildlife (what are you interested in shooting?). A 400 or a 500mm lens would be ideal but to the price, you could pay up to €5000 for a pro spec wildlife lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

I have an A200 and I love it although I have nothing to compare it to. The only thing I do find is that when your on a budget for what you can spend, (bloody wedding!!!), second hand equipment is not as common as you will find for canon or nikon.

Advertisement