Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken laptop - worth putting through insurance?

Options
  • 21-05-2009 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭

My laptop dropped and now it won't POST and turns off after 17 seconds. Im fairly knowledgeable about laptops and have determined its most likely VC or mb that is damaged (took it down to barebones and tried individual components). The laptop is a good few years old. I got it in Lidl, Targa xplorer. A lovely laptop I might add great video card for its day...

Anyway my home insurance has accidental damage included on it. I have an excess of somewhere between 125-250. When I bought the laptop is was worth 1000 euro or there abouts. I think I have new for old cover as well

Is it worth putting in a claim. I really dont have any receipts since its over 5 years old but I could put one together if required I suppose.

Will this add a lot to my premium?

Thanks
    X

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

For such a relatively low amount, I wouldn't bother tbh. Apart from jacking up your premium, if you decide to switch to another provider you'll have to inform them of the claim, so any savings you might make by switching would be lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 joe9joe9

new for old means a new laptop of same spec for your old/damaged one. Not a new high spec one.

if your laptop was 5 years old then it may not even be able to get one of that spec anymore so your just looking at an entry level laptop or else your one repaired. if an equivalent 'entry level' one is, say 400-500 then deduct the excess and youre left with very little. but its your call really....

Advertisement