Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

simple perl help needed

Options
  • 21-05-2009 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

I've been staring at this for ages no, I had it working yesterday but then I deleted the code because I am a moron, I'm trying to populate a mysql db from a parsed input file using split, it's saying incorrect syntax, can someone help?
    I think the problem lies on line 11, I know it's something simple it's been a long day.
    #!/usr/bin/perl -w
    use strict;
    use DBI;
    use warnings;
    my $inputfile;
    my @arr;
    $inputfile = shift;
    open FH,"$inputfile" or die "unable to open the file";
    my $dbh = DBI->connect('dbi:mysql:maillogs','root','yeahright;') || die "Database connection not made: $DBI::errstr";
    my $insert_handle =
    $dbh->prepare_cached('INSERT INTO data_sample (connid0,connid1,profileid,mailingid,toid,mail,from,toaddress,blank,rcpt,to,recipientid,blank0,data,blank1,messagesize,blank2,status,time,deliverytime) VALUES (?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)');
    while(<FH>){
    @arr = split /\s|\t/;
    $insert_handle->execute($arr[0],$arr[1],$arr[2],$arr[3],$arr[4],$arr[5],$arr[6],$arr[7],$arr[8],$arr[9],$arr[10],$arr[11],$arr[12],$arr[13],$arr[14],$arr[15],$arr[16],$arr[17],$arr[18],$arr[19]);
    }

Solved TO and FROM are reserved names in SQL, once i changed them it populated no problem

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

@personal = split(/:/, $info);

would be how to use the split function to split by :

You seem to be missing brackets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

castie wrote: »
    You seem to be missing brackets
    Perl is quite lack wrt brackets - the split docs don't show brackets (see header part and last example).

The script compiled okay for me.

Can you paste the error message. Is it from DBI or from perl?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

Here is the error.

DBD::mysql::st execute failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'from,toaddress,blank,rcpt,to,recipientid,blank0,data,blank1,messagesize,blank2,s' at line 1 at ./textinput.pl line 14, <FH> line 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

Here is the error.

DBD::mysql::st execute failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'from,toaddress,blank,rcpt,to,recipientid,blank0,data,blank1,messagesize,blank2,s' at line 1 at ./textinput.pl line 14, <FH> line 1.

Perhaps a single quote (') in your data?

nah i checked the data, it's just various numbers and email addresses:/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

nah i checked the data, it's just various numbers and email addresses:/

Well, the Perl seems ok but I've never used DBI. The error says it's an SQL problem and the SQL error (assuming it's exactly copied and pasted) seems to list 12 comma separated values in the quotes. Your SQL insert statement seems to require more (20?).

Is there something unusual about maybe just the first line of data in the file? Is it a header line with a slightly different format? Fewer fields maybe?

no, i actually had it working with the data in the inputfile already, i acidentally
    deleted the file and now i can't remember how i did it, frustration
    central!!!

solved:

TO and FROM are reserved names in SQL, once i changed them it populated no problem:)

Advertisement