Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veggie restaurants/health food stores in Limerick?

Options
  • 22-05-2009 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭

I am going to wander to Limerick for a short trip with a friend of mine and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations about places to visit, where I might find a range of health foods and vegan treats. I read about 'The Grove', a veggie restaurant on Cecil Street on the Happy Cow; anyone been? Not sure about whereabouts in Limerick yet, but I assume city centre. I'll get back with that info :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I was a visitor there myself a few months back. I didn't find any veggie restaurants (I went Chinese) but I did find a crackin' "ethnic" shop which sold a lot of good veggie food at sensible prices.
    Across from teh railway station is a Hotel - called something like the Railway Arms. To the right of that hotel is a road and up that road, at the end, is a shop that looks as if it was once a large hardware or paint shop. Quite a distinctive building. It's now a shop selling to Middle-eastern and African customers. The guys working there were gas, a mix of African, Indian and Middle Eastern who all had the strongest Limerick accents I ever heard! When I went there I was just coming from a meeting and so had teh full suit & tie thing going on... I heard one of the guys there whisper to the others (whose level of bad language showed they had integrated perfectly) to "Keep it down lad... we have a customer in". I just shouted across "Carry on lads, it's nothin' I haven't heard before!" to a chorus of cheers and laughing at the boss.
    I bought Baklava for about a third of what I'd pay here. Packets of mixes for Indian patty/burger things and loads of rice/grains. Even when all totted up teh guy knocked off a few euro and, as a fellow coffee fiend, pointed toward the baklava that was best value and best with coffee. Frankly that 30 minutes in that shop was the highlight of my visit to Limerick. Nice shop, lovely guys and really nice honest genuine food.

There's also a good heath food store in the Crescent Shopping Centre if you're out that way.

looking at a map that shop is around Roches Street or Cecil Street

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Great story :) sounds like quite the adventure.

Great story :) sounds like quite the adventure.

Thew fact that it was a highlight of a visit to Limerick says a lot about Limerick. :rolleyes:

I don't know if that Place in the city centre is still open. But I ate their once and it was cat.
    Ciarans on the UL campus is nice for lunch.

Food in Limerick isn't great actually. :(

Zweton do a decent chinese and they will add tofu to anything if you ask.

• Advertisement

Hmmm not looking so optimistic. No worries!

I used the local chinese (better than average), a local piazza place (almost vile) and a Subway (I like the veggie patties every now and again). I'm not going to slag Limerick but there really wasn't much choice. Maybe if you know the city it's better.

Here is the menu from Ciarans, it is worth a trip out.
    http://www.ciarans.ie/Ciarans-Food.aspx

The healthfood shop in the crescent is great, it even stocks seitan for Tara.
    And there is another good one on Thomas St in the city center. I forget the name of it.

Limerick is a much under rated place. I'm sure you'll have a ball.

Ah cool :) I'll be sure to try and get to that health food store. I love a good root around in those places. Found some oat groats in one in Sligo recently, which is somthing I've been looking out for for quite some time...

Ah cool :) I'll be sure to try and get to that health food store. I love a good root around in those places. Found some oat groats in one in Sligo recently, which is somthing I've been looking out for for quite some time...

Lithanica the eastern european chain stocks oat groats. That is a brilliant health food shop in sligo though. Well I've found one of the members of staff to be rude. But I really like the organic veggies from Rossinver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

I use www.happycow.net
    This is all that is listed for Limerick.

The Grove
    11 Cecil St (at Catherine St)
    061-410084
    Ovo, Lacto, Salad bar, Take-out

Small centrally located Limerick vegetarian restaurant with busy lunchtime crowd (best to go at noon). Quiches, salads, and curries. Cash only.
    (Be first to review!)

Health Food Stores: (1 Listing)

Seancara
    The Crescent Shopping Centre in Dooradoyle
    061-228888
    Organic fruit and vegetables, grains, pulses, and other foods. Wide selection of vitamins, minerals, homeopathics and herbal products. Friendly and helpful staff.

Advertisement