Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbing Sugarloaf mountain

Options
  • 22-05-2009 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'd like to climb sugarloaf mountain with my 7 year old son. how hard is it, how long would it take and where would i start from. thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I would not consider it difficult, especially if you take you time. I did it back when i was in cubs (6-7) no probs. Should be 3-4 hours max

There are two places which you can go from, either park in Kilmacanogue and walk up from there or continue up the roundwood road and turn off the first left as you pass the mountain which will bring you up to a carpark on the shoulder. This route will be much shorter though.

Get a map (OSI sheet 56) or take a look at it online for a clearer picture

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

suey71 wrote: »
    Hi. I'd like to climb sugarloaf mountain with my 7 year old son. how hard is it, how long would it take and where would i start from. thanks a mill.

It's a very short walk if you go for the one mentioned above where you park on the shoulder. 2 adults would probably get to the top in ~25 minutes. The main walk of this winds up the face and is fairly flat for the majority (if I remember correctly, docile horses graze in the shrubs at the base of it that are friendly enough to walk over and pet, also, across the road from it is an RC airplane field that a 7 year old would probably find very interesting to watch)

Only thing to note would be the last 10% is a little steep, and as the ground is covered in loose rocks the journey down might be a little dangerous with a child.

However, I'd say you'd be fine. It will probably take you an hour if you are going slow with the child for the last bit to get to the summit. I also wouldn't recommend runners for the trip down, especially if the rocks are in anyway wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

great replies. we climbed Bray head last month and he thought it was the biz, told all his school mates and showed them the photos we took. looking forward to the Sugarloaf now. Is it true that you can see Wales from the top? What time is it best to start the climb. I think I'm more excited than he is about this. thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It really is just an hour up and down (maximum) from the carpark on red-lane (Here it is on Google maps). I climb it every couple of months with my kids. Started taking my daughter when she was around 5yo. I just make sure she's in front of me on the way up, and behind me on the way down.

It really doesn't matter what time of day you head up, just choose a nice day, with light/no wind.

Did it yesterday evening. Short enough but it is quite steep, more so than I remember and was quite tiring (that said i had just come from jogging both piers in Dun Loaghaire:) )

You'd still have no problem doing it though.

As an aside I've never been on a mountain so full of knackers. Loads of them hanging around smoking, throwing rocks over the side...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Loads of them hanging around smoking, throwing rocks over the side...
    Cheek of them. If they keep it up there will be no mountain left lol.

seanybiker wrote: »
    Cheek of them. If they keep it up there will be no mountain left lol.

I knocked quite a bit of it down when coming down one of the scree fields :)

Just thought it was unusual to find them hanging around at the top of a mountain, they're usually minimum effort types :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I knocked quite a bit of it down when coming down one of the scree fields :)

Just thought it was unusual to find them hanging around at the top of a mountain, they're usually minimum effort types :pac:

Yeah, if a group of knackers can do it, it can't be too hard.
    Assuming your child had no trouble climbing Bray Head the Sugarloaf will be easily achievable, but it will be more challenging, my daughter did it when she was four IIRC.
    One thing to note it the top (as with most mountains) can be very windy, the time we did it maybe it was just a bad day but it was incredibly windy. When you are finished drop down to Powerscourt waterfall, there's a playground and you can grab a coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

thanks for the input lads. the Knacker thing is putting me off though. its a pity they don't do a Lemming and all jump off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

suey71 wrote: »
    thanks for the input lads. the Knacker thing is putting me off though. its a pity they don't do a Lemming and all jump off.
    I've been up there a couple of times and not had any bother of that kind.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    I've been up there a couple of times and not had any bother of that kind.

I'd say it was just the weather that brought them out :)
    Go on a normal, not super sunny day and it won't be a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hartom

any body think its possible to make it to the top with a 31 month old and a 20 month old , and a couple of adults !

hartom wrote: »
    any body think its possible to make it to the top with a 31 month old and a 20 month old , and a couple of adults !

If you're carrying them. It pretty steep at the top and loose rock in places, I wouldn't really advise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭grumpygit

went up yesterday took 25 mins a friend had the same query about bringing kids up so i took some photos to give him an idea of what its like, should be able to view them here I think http://www.flickr.com/photos/41351555@N05/
    dont think it should be any problem for a 7 year old, a bit of scrambling over rocks which i'm sure they'd love, weather to be good tomorrow so should be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Rather than start a new thread I cane across this. Thinking of climbing this on Monday but I'm terrified of heights but want to conquer the fear. What's the climb like? While climbing is it likely to fall? (May be a stupid question but I'm not sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Rather than start a new thread I cane across this. Thinking of climbing this on Monday but I'm terrified of heights but want to conquer the fear. What's the climb like? While climbing is it likely to fall? (May be a stupid question but I'm not sure)
    You'll be fine on the Sugarloaf, it's just a walk with a small bit of clambering over rocks. I've found with fear of heights that if I push myself just a little bit each time I feel ready, I'm better next time. Don't be afraid to come down on your behind if it makes you feel better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

up there today, wouldn't think 7 year old would be ok for it? Maybe I'm a nervous Nellie, but I think 14 yo better suited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

up there today, wouldn't think 7 year old would be ok for it? Maybe I'm a nervous Nellie, but I think 14 yo better suited.

My daughter and her friends did it easily at 8/9 years old.

Advertisement