Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work??? Feck that.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

zudo wrote: »
    Pay her a decent wage then. I'd rather work any day than draw the dole. But when companies are jumping on the bandwagon and paying ****e wages, I'd say fcuk ye too!

€9.50 an hour is a perfect decent wage. Given that paying more could mean going out of Buisness for some companies. The Mentality of over paying people for crap jobs is exactly what got us into this mess.

OP, what kind of Job is it, If I may ask

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

€9.50 an hour is a perfect decent wage. Given that paying more could mean going out of Buisness for some companies. The Mentality of over paying people for crap jobs is exactly what got us into this mess.

OP, what kind of Job is it, If I may ask

€9.50 is a perfect decent wage and then you ask OP "what kind of job is it?"

It's a little more than the dole, tbh. It all depends then, how far she has to travel, has she kids, is the employer taking advantage of the economic mess? (ie taking her for a ride). Is is actually worth her while going to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

You cant blame her for not taking the job if she is worse off so theres no point phoning the sw

What type of work is it anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

amacachi wrote: »
    Being honest I can't blame her, if she's better off on the dole then there are kids involved, so she's right to maximise her income. **** system.

Not necessarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Call social welfare

I'm just finished college, and I'm probably eligible for jobseekers' benefit or something, but I don't plan on looking for a job until I come back from a holiday in 3 or 4 weeks. So I shalln't be signing on.

Social responsibility is great

• Advertisement

Do NOT call Social Welfare.

You do not know what's going on. She and her husband could be on the verge of losing their house and every penny might count. If you were in the same situation, would you take the job and risk losing your home, your kids going hungry?

The economies ****ed, it's not her fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

mikemac wrote: »
    Vouchers?
    Do you not think it's harsh that people pay thousands and thousands into the system and when they want to use it it's gotta be vouchers? Do you not trust someone who paid PRSI for years and then lost their job?

I understand your point, I forsee a lot of humiliation in rural Ireland when you present your vouchers and then everyone knows your business and circumstances :(

how is that harsh?i know for a fact if my parents had no jobs in the morning or me and things were bad if i got basic food/heat/place to live id be happy with
    all this ***** on the dole with with plasma tvs on credit,sky tv(which my parents canncelled it was luxury)and a holiday to santa ponza that piss me off.and feeding their scuummy kids bad food like chicken nuggets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

kraggy wrote: »
    Not necessarily.

True, corrected myself already if you look above.

Dave! wrote: »
    Call social welfare

I'm just finished college, and I'm probably eligible for jobseekers' benefit or something, but I don't plan on looking for a job until I come back from a holiday in 3 or 4 weeks. So I shalln't be signing on.

why are you going on holiday if your broke???

Who says I'm broke?

• Advertisement

well ok maybe not broke but if you got no job and getting no jobseekers a holiday alot of money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Call social welfare

How nice of you Dave...the fact that we can't sign on to anything for 13 weeks after our last exam has nothing to do with it either? ;)

OP I'd call Welfare but that's just me. If she is on the verge of losing her home anyway and the dole is better than the job well Welfare will investigate that, however on the other hand if she is scamming the system then she deserves to be called out for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

You do not know what's going on. She and her husband could be on the verge of losing their house and every penny might count. If you were in the same situation, would you take the job and risk losing your home, your kids going hungry?

The economies ****ed, it's not her fault.

Senna said nothing about kids. That's all idle speculation. Jesus christ, there are bleeding hearts and there are inventing children so that we would feel extra sorry for people...

well ok maybe not broke but if you got no job and getting no jobseekers a holiday alot of money

Nah I'm just visiting relatives, so it's costing f*ck all

But that's beside the point :) And that is that I'm entitled to benefit but not claiming it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

And that is that I'm entitled to benefit but not claiming it

But you're not..

Senna said nothing about kids. That's all idle speculation. Jesus christ, there are bleeding hearts and there are inventing children so that we would feel extra sorry for people...

Eh, I didn't say the girl in question had kids either. Read my post again.

My point is that the poster I was talking to doesn't know the girls situation. There could be a mortgage, kids etc.

I.e. Stay the **** out of it since you don't know the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Eh, I didn't say the girl in question had kids either. Read my post again.

My point is that the poster I was talking to doesn't know the girls situation. There could be a mortgage, kids etc.

I.e. Stay the **** out of it since you don't know the details.

Well, fraud is fraud. The woman in question might have to support twenty dying relatives or could just be a scabbing bitch. You can't just let people break the law just because there "could" be a mortgage to be paid or kids to feed. That kind of emotive speculation would just cripple our legal system with what "might" be going on.

Brimmy wrote: »
    But you're not..
    Link?

The consensus on the SW forum seems to be that you just need a letter from the college confirming you're finished

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055553629
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055550357
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055496570

The only info I can find on it is here
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/JobseekersAllowance/Pages/ja.aspx
    Students

If you have just left school you cannot get Jobseeker's Allowance. To get Jobseeker's Allowance you must be out of school for three months and you be at least 18 years of age.

That looks more like it's relating to secondary school students though :confused:

Nevertheless my intentions are good :) And the point is that in these economic times it's irresponsible to try and squeeze every penny from social welfare just because you can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Link?

The consensus on the SW forum seems to be that you just need a letter from the college confirming you're finished

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055553629
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055550357
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055496570

The only info I can find on it is here
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/JobseekersAllowance/Pages/ja.aspx
    Students

If you have just left school you cannot get Jobseeker's Allowance. To get Jobseeker's Allowance you must be out of school for three months and you be at least 18 years of age.

That looks more like it's relating to secondary school students though :confused:

Nevertheless my intentions are good :) And the point is that in these economic times it's irresponsible to try and squeeze every penny from social welfare just because you can

You seem to be doing ok. Any chance of a loan of a tenner?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,969 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well, fraud is fraud. The woman in question might have to support twenty dying relatives or could just be a scabbing bitch. You can't just let people break the law just because there "could" be a mortgage to be paid or kids to feed. That kind of emotive speculation would just cripple our legal system with what "might" be going on.
    Hence why defrauding the system is illegal. You cant give a pass to someone because they "Might" be a special case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

TOO LATE.

I phoned the local offices today, all they needed was her name and address, she is going to be called to a review meeting asap, but they would not tell me what would happen.

I did look into it further before calling them, she has no kids or dependents and drives a 2006 big car (i didn't see it), i drive a 1996 car! After dole she would have been better off by about €55 a week by taking the job, she told one of the staff this. But she just cant be bothered working 40 extra hours for €55 over sitting on her ass on the dole, its a sh1t SW system, but that does not excuse her.

Also, this is Donegal, were the cost of living is the lowest in the country, so €9.50 could be the equivalent of €12/13 in Dublin, its not a sh1t wage to start on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

reminds me of joe duffy last week similar story but this women had kids

what kinda work is it btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Meh, she is maximizing her profits.. fair play to her.

Plus, you don't know she is sitting on her ass when she's not "working". She could be volunteering, studying, training, doing her hobbies, whatever..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Meh, she is maximizing her profits.. fair play to her.

She wont be anymore, hopefully she get feck all for awhile.

As for the bleeding heart liberals on here, if she didn't want to work because she was putting her time to a good use like volunteering, the she would have said that. My conversation with her revolved around money, plain and simple, that was all she was interested in.

Volunteering...Dont make me laugh:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

zudo wrote: »
    €9.50 is a perfect decent wage and then you ask OP "what kind of job is it?"

It's a little more than the dole, tbh.

And therein lies the problem.

I understand what you're saying about social responsibility etc but we don't exactly have shining examples of this in our leading politicians, why should we expect it from our citizens.

The system is completely ridiculous - a 5 year old would come up with a better plan. Why should she work 40 hours a week when she can get pretty much the same for doing SFA? Apart from social responsibility / pride yada yada yada. The government can't just expect people to take less for doing more work, they need to change this broken SW system of ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Senna wrote: »
    But she just cant be bothered working 40 extra hours for €55 over sitting on her ass on the dole, its a sh1t SW system, but that does not excuse her.

It's surely an insane setup but who would work for a tenner a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I was about to start a similar thread based on my recent experience.

We had a guy working for us on a site (€10.60p/h Security Work) whose hours were cut to approx 20 hours p/w due to a contract reconstruction.

We offered him a full time job on another site 10 miles down the road (he drives). He refused the new job, saying that he'd prefer to work part time and claim part dole. I agreed, but stated that I couldn't guarantee the 20 hours (could go up or down by 5 or so hours).

Every week since he's rang complaining that he isn't getting enough hours etc. Every time I offered the new job and every time he refused saying that he was better off where he was. I don't know what to do with the guy, as I'd be bringing trouble on myself for sacking him without proper reason (my actual reason would be that he's an impossible to please, annoying cnut).

Apart from that, I posted in W&J during the week saying that we were looking for people in North and South Dublin. I got a few PM's expressing interest, but no one sent a CV in. We have an ad on irishjobs.ie from which we get CV's, but when guys find out the details (which I don't think are life or death) i.e. possible night work, possible Sunday work etc they lose interest and don't even show for interview.

OR - when they do show for interview, there is no such thing as formal attire, not even an effort. The best we got was one guy wearing a shirt (ironed).

Jobs crisis my blue arse.

• O'Coonassa wrote: »
    It's surely an insane setup but who would work for a tenner a day?

I would. I'd rather get paid 200 quid a week to work than sit on my arse. Sure, I only made about 100 quid last week (I freelance) - I still liked being able to get up on the morning and go to work instead of watching telly all day. I can't stand this mentality of 'oh it's only a bit more than the dole.' So what? Why do people feel so entitled to make rakes of money for a simple shop job? 9.50 is a pretty good hourly wage. I started on 10.50 last year for a job that required a college degree and three languages, for God's sake! Such a sense of entitlement among so many people who seem to think they deserve to earn a fortune for doing unskilled work......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

skelliser wrote: »
    reminds me of joe duffy last week similar story but this women had kids

I listened to that too.

I can understand why she would see it as working for €55 a week. The system is the problem. Once there is the offer of a job people should be obliged to take it. If it doesnt work out, then back to the drawing board. BUT the should at least try it.

Personally, when i take all my costs into account (childcare for 4 kids, etc) then its quite clear that i would actually be better off (financially) claiming SW. There is no price on sanity though, so i work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

themadchef wrote: »
    There is no price on sanity though, so i work.

This is the important point that several people, including close friends, are missing.

You cannot put a value on being productive, interacting with people, learning new skills - in however a low-paid position.

I've worked as a cleaner, shop assistant, security man, barman, waiter... everything that several friends have said is 'below them'. Some of my best work experiences came from the time spent working these jobs.

Advertisement