Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with a shot

• 22-05-2009 5:50am

Hi guys, I am just wondering what king of settings I would need to take the following shot.

There is a pool in the hotel we are staying, its a little fish pool thing. However, at night time the reflections of the water and pillars are quite nice and I want to get a photo of it.

Its quite dark, but the water itself is rippling. Without using a flash, is there anyway to get a quick exposure shot without then loosing the details of the reflections?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Long exposure, wide aperture (depends on the detail you want), with the camera resting on something (ideally a tripod).
    A bean bag would do.
    If you use a bean bag, set the timer on the shutter, so that the camera doesn't shake by you pressing the button to release the shutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

I think the OP was asking about capturing the detail in the reflections - using a long exposure will blur this, which should give a pleasing effect, however if the requirement is to freeze the motion on the rippling water then the exposure time probably can not be higher than 1/30th or so. That being the case, you need to use the fastest lens you have fully open and the highest ISO setting you can use without introducing too much noise. The depth of field will be small at max aperature so you need to be careful where you focus. Look up hyperfocal distance if you want to find out more about this.

Cheers - I only have the 18:105 kit lens and the 'S' priority will only yield a black photo.

Will be picking up a tripod tomorrow so will mess about with it later on.

Advertisement